British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   construction manager (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/construction-manager-542699/)

leavinguk Jun 12th 2008 7:11 pm

construction manager

Hi there :thumbup:

New to the forum and looking for advice.

Im looking for companies, forums or agencies that can give good advice on finding a site manager job in the Middle East.

Ive been a site manager in the UK for 10 years working on various construction projects with values up to £8m. Im 39 years old and only speak English which may well be my downfall!

Never looked for work abroad, except for a brief excursion to East Germany as a bricklayer in my 20's, so any general advice of pitfalls to watch out for will be greatly received.

Cheers.

Leavinguk

madferrit Jun 12th 2008 8:08 pm

Re: construction manager

Can't really help too much, but I'll start by saying that the Wiki (at the top) is a great resource with a wealth of information which will get you started.

As for only speaking english.. i don't think that will be a hindrance at all. If anything, it will help you far more than if you only spoke Punjabi!

There is a lot of information on this forum, using the search function will help you. I'm sure others will come along and give you some more specific replies to your query.

highways Jun 13th 2008 8:15 am

Originally Posted by leavinguk (Post 6461212)
Hi there :thumbup:

New to the forum and looking for advice.

Im looking for companies, forums or agencies that can give good advice on finding a site manager job in the Middle East.

Ive been a site manager in the UK for 10 years working on various construction projects with values up to £8m. Im 39 years old and only speak English which may well be my downfall!

Never looked for work abroad, except for a brief excursion to East Germany as a bricklayer in my 20's, so any general advice of pitfalls to watch out for will be greatly received.

Cheers.

Leavinguk

As I'm also working in the construction industry, I suggest searching the website of bbt global (good agency and they have contacts in the middle east). You can also contact the big contractors that are operating in the middle east directly.

markhighpeak Jun 14th 2008 10:05 pm

Dont bother with BBT or Maxim, I wrote to both of them and got no reply, not even a curtesy no thanks, try build-consult or concor, I've had good feedback off both and they seem very professional.

PM me if you need any more help. BTW I'm going out to Dubai next week to look for a job so I'll let you know how I get on.

Ahmadj Jun 14th 2008 10:52 pm

Hey

Have you looked on Bechtel's website?

They are desperate for people to work with them in Jubail, Saudi Arabia. Phase 2 of Jubail Industrial City is worth 36 billion USD ( I heard that from people, no official source).

http://www.bechtel.co.uk/opportunities

Goodluck

twistopher Jun 15th 2008 4:33 am

Carillion, Leytons, Laing O'Rourke, ACC, Dutco Balfour Beatty are all good, large companies working here. Try them directly.
Charterhouse are also a good agency to get work with.
Good luck

mydogbitjesus Jun 15th 2008 7:21 am

I'd steer clear of Carillion if I were you. I've heard not too good things about them recently. they seem to be having quite a turnover of people.

TBird Jun 15th 2008 8:56 am

.....although they give there staff good accomodation packages in this ever growing rental problem so Horses for courses!

mydogbitjesus Jun 15th 2008 9:23 am

more accom allowance only benefits the landlord, doesn't go in my pocket, plus if your in company accom you don't even see the allowance anyway. what goes into my bank account is the bottom line here, and i hear that Carillion aren't keeping up with market rates in that department.

TBird Jun 15th 2008 9:33 am

....I think thats with all companies to be honest the market is moving faster then the HR departments in most cases

TBird Jun 15th 2008 9:36 am

....yes I agree more in your own pocket the better!;)

markhighpeak Jun 15th 2008 3:14 pm

Well I work for Carillion and will be meeting them this week in Dubai and from what I've read on here about accommodation, then if they can provide what I want then I'll be over the moon.

I have heard that due to rents going up so fast and so often, then it is hard for a company like Carillion to react immediately.................but if they want the people to come out and work then somewhere along the line they'll have to dig deep into them very large pockets :)

arbroath_abroad Jun 15th 2008 6:54 pm

Germany as a bricklayer in my 20's
Neville, is that you?

SkyBlueBoy Jun 15th 2008 8:15 pm

I went through Hill Mcgynn and got accepted for a job with al habtoor leighton within 3 weeks of getting in touch. I start in 2 weeks. Nothin but praise for Hill Mcgynn.

Bella83 Jun 16th 2008 10:35 am

My fiance got his job through Hill McGlynn also - they were excellent. He had two offers within 3 weeks of our decision to move out here from the UK.

Also had interest from recruitment agents at MacDonald & Company.