Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Considering move to Dubai

Considering move to Dubai

Old Sep 4th 2018, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

abzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering move to Dubai

Have been offered a package including healthcare of 50k AED per month to emigrate from the UK. The salary does not include accommodation nor schooling - i have a wife and two kids.Would the salary be enough and would the quality of schools be as good as the UK?
Old Sep 5th 2018, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice
Default Re: Considering move to Dubai

Depends on your UK salary really. AED 50k/month equates to approx GBP 125k/year. If you're earning near that (say over GBP 100k) in UK, I'd stay put. If it's a big jump in salary, then it's worth considering.

Salary would certainly be enough for a 3/4 bedroom property in a nice area. If you can put your wife to work, even better.

Quality of schools varies, they're all private for-profit schools and the best ones tend to be on the very expensive side. An averagely-priced school is probably not the same quality as an average UK public school.

As a rough guide, you could budget AED 160k/year for a house, AED 24k/year for utility bills, AED 140k/year for school fees for 2 kids, AED 60k/year for 2 cars. That's AED 32k/month. That leaves you AED 18k/month (plus whatever your wife earns - if anything) to cover food/outings/holidays/savings, which is around GBP 3,800. Plus you can always find somewhere cheaper to live, cheaper schools, cheaper cars, and end up with more money in your pocket.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 7:42 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

As has been said before - no one actually ''emigrates'' to Dubai.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
As has been said before - no one actually ''emigrates'' to Dubai.
Thanks. Not sure i understand the context, Apologies I am new here
Old Sep 5th 2018, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gavtek
Depends on your UK salary really. AED 50k/month equates to approx GBP 125k/year. If you're earning near that (say over GBP 100k) in UK, I'd stay put. If it's a big jump in salary, then it's worth considering.

Salary would certainly be enough for a 3/4 bedroom property in a nice area. If you can put your wife to work, even better.

Quality of schools varies, they're all private for-profit schools and the best ones tend to be on the very expensive side. An averagely-priced school is probably not the same quality as an average UK public school.

As a rough guide, you could budget AED 160k/year for a house, AED 24k/year for utility bills, AED 140k/year for school fees for 2 kids, AED 60k/year for 2 cars. That's AED 32k/month. That leaves you AED 18k/month (plus whatever your wife earns - if anything) to cover food/outings/holidays/savings, which is around GBP 3,800. Plus you can always find somewhere cheaper to live, cheaper schools, cheaper cars, and end up with more money in your pocket.
Thanks for the insights, schools are key for me, the uplift is better than my current take home savings. Is the quality of life good in Dubai?
Old Sep 5th 2018, 4:39 pm
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abzman
Thanks. Not sure i understand the context, Apologies I am new here
One does not emigrate to Dubai in that one does not leave one's own country to go to live permanently in Dubai.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 7:55 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say a AED 50k deal is not enough for a family of 4, especially if you are giving up a secure job in the UK.
Hidden costs to factor in your calculation are...
UK Income Tax and NI liability on your worldwide earnings, until you are confirmed UK Non-resident (6th April 2020 at the very earliest, but can be backdated to when you left the UK, if you meet set criteria)
Class 3 NI contributions for you and the wife, if you both want a UK pension when you retire
Private pension contributions x2, unless you want to survive on the UK State Pension
Non-earning time as you mobilise and demobilise
Sickness/ unemployment insurance
Family flights back to the UK, for visits, plus a UK rental car
Mobilisation/ demobilisation costs, especially home furnishing
Money transfer costs, to move your savings somewhere safe
Exchange rate fluctuations, you could easily take a 20% effective salary cut if the GBP strengthens against the USD
Job insecurity, you will have none, and no rights. You could find yourself out of work, unemployable and back in the UK virtually overnight.

Worth remembering that the typical expat spends a year or two at most in the Middle East then moves on. There are reasons for that...

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Sep 5th 2018 at 7:58 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I'd say a AED 50k deal is not enough for a family of 4, especially if you are giving up a secure job in the UK.
UK Income Tax and NI liability on your worldwide earnings, until you are confirmed UK Non-resident (6th April 2020 at the very earliest, but can be backdated to when you left the UK, if you meet set criteria)
Class 3 NI contributions for you and the wife, if you both want a UK pension when you retire
Private pension contributions x2, unless you want to survive on the UK State Pension
Exchange rate fluctuations, you could easily take a 20% effective salary cut if the GBP strengthens against the USD
Job insecurity, you will have none, and no rights. You could find yourself out of work, unemployable and back in the UK virtually overnight.

Worth remembering that the typical expat spends a year or two at most in the Middle East then moves on. There are reasons for that...
Wow, thanks those are all very interesting perspectives, many of which I havent factored in. I was leaning towards staying in the UK with a secure job, I didn't realize how big a risk Dubai could be. Thank you so much for the insights.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Me 2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any data to support that view?
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 9:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Quality of schools varies, they're all private for-profit schools and the best ones tend to be on the very expensive side.
Not technically true. There are a number of non-profit schools in Dubai.
Price doesn't always = quality, you could have the one shit teacher in the gold-plated school for example.
Lots of good schools but the costs can be alarming.

Originally Posted by abzman
Thanks for the insights, schools are key for me, the uplift is better than my current take home savings. Is the quality of life good in Dubai?
Quality of life is what you make it.
Schooling is phenomenal on the whole for the opportunities that kids get compared to the UK....especially around sport.

You love to copy/paste this scaremongering list eh.