Reload this Page >

Confusion over flight prices!

Confusion over flight prices!

Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion over flight prices!

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post here on the off chance someone can clear this up.

I've been playing around on Skyscanner with flights from Dubai/Abu Dhabi to other parts of the world and noticed its much cheaper to fly from UK - Dubai - end destination, than to just fly from Dubai - end destination.

For example, Glasgow - Dubai - Bangkok return is around £1900 business class, but Dubai - Bangkok is £2300 on the same date and same flight !

Same with Perth, Australia: £2400 from Glasgow via Dubai but £4000 from Dubai direct.

Anyone know why this is the case? Seems illogical to me !
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Confusion over flight prices!

We're a captive market here unfortunately, so the airlines take advantage. To get cheaper rates hope the qatar blockade gets lifted and fly with qatar airways if you're based in the UAE, or emirates/etihad if you're based in qatar.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fezzer
We're a captive market here unfortunately, so the airlines take advantage. To get cheaper rates hope the qatar blockade gets lifted and fly with qatar airways if you're based in the UAE, or emirates/etihad if you're based in qatar.
Interesting - good to know thanks for the info ! At the moment, due to the blockade, are you unable to fly Qatar from Dubai/Abu Dhabi ? I think I remember reading about a ban ?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just here that you get flight price anomalies, happens in the EU as well. You can fly ex EU long haul on BA on the same flights often for much less, sometimes its the taxes that make the difference but very often the fares are much lower too. I have flown numerous times on BA long haul AMS-LHR-SEA or SIN and saved £000's over the price LHR-SEA or SIN .... same airline same flights !! ....
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

All my flights start in London.

London, Dubai, Japan, Dubai, London was 100 dirhams cheaper than just Dubai-Japan-Dubai. Go figure.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia - UK - Australia can be double UK - Australia - UK. It's shit.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Multi trips too if you know you are going away a few times in close succession. I got a Dubai - Glasgow - Dubai - London - Dubai last year for about 4k, half of what it would have been if booked separately.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp

London, Dubai, Japan, Dubai, London was 100 dirhams cheaper than just Dubai-Japan-Dubai. Go figure.
Yeah I'm noticing quite a bit of difference. Although I don't know if I'd fly to London for 6/7 hours to save 100 dirhams, I admire your dedication to saving
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Australia - UK - Australia can be double UK - Australia - UK. It's shit.
Yeah I have family in Australia they're often telling me how much more expensive it is coming from Aus to UK return.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Look at Multi trips too if you know you are going away a few times in close succession. I got a Dubai - Glasgow - Dubai - London - Dubai last year for about 4k, half of what it would have been if booked separately.
Good tip thanks!

I'd actually be cheaper flying from Dubai to Glasgow on a one way for £400, then booking Glasgow - Dubai - Perth - Dubai - Glasgow and getting off at Dubai and missing the connection. Would save over £1000 but just means I'd need to fly another 7 hours back to Glasgow which is frustrating!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by JCoop
Yeah I'm noticing quite a bit of difference. Although I don't know if I'd fly to London for 6/7 hours to save 100 dirhams, I admire your dedication to saving
I'm flying to London tomorrow night for a wedding this weekend on my old booking.
Fly back on Sunday/Monday on the new booking, with a long lay over in Dubai (home) until Japan in August.
Return to London in October for next wedding.

****ing smart.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting - good to know thanks for the info ! At the moment, due to the blockade, are you unable to fly Qatar from Dubai/Abu Dhabi ? I think I remember reading about a ban ?
You can't fly direct between Qatar and Dubai/Abu Dhabi at the moment. You have to do a cheeky stop in Oman, Kuwait or Istanbul if you fancy an overly long trip. I think Oman Air is doing good business at the moment.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Good tip thanks!

I'd actually be cheaper flying from Dubai to Glasgow on a one way for £400, then booking Glasgow - Dubai - Perth - Dubai - Glasgow and getting off at Dubai and missing the connection. Would save over £1000 but just means I'd need to fly another 7 hours back to Glasgow which is frustrating!
Watch out missing flights. It only works if its your last flight of that segment. If you have a stopover and you miss the first segment they will cancel the ticket.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

you did that just to save 100 dirhams?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 10:30 am
Account Closed

I'm flying to London tomorrow night for a wedding this weekend on my old booking.
Fly back on Sunday/Monday on the new booking, with a long lay over in Dubai (home) until Japan in August.
Return to London in October for next wedding.

****ing smart.
Originally Posted by mission
you did that just to save 100 dirhams?
See above, which is above in this thread....You don't make it easy for yourself do you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.