Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Confused & Seeking Clarity...

Confused & Seeking Clarity...

Old Oct 11th 2005, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

rrbilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused & Seeking Clarity...

Can someone clarify salaries in Bahrain? I have looked through the forums and can not seem to locate the information I seek or even good solid examples.

I am currently in discussion with a firm in Bahrain that are seeking to recruit a VP of Operations. My knowledge of the region is limited and I would hate to low ball my requirements. This may seem lame of me but I am finding it a challenge to locate salary levels in Bahrain to use as a comparison scale. What would a senior manager type go for in Bahrain? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :-)

RR..
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:45 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused & Seeking Clarity...

Originally Posted by rrbilly

Can someone clarify salaries in Bahrain? I have looked through the forums and can not seem to locate the information I seek or even good solid examples.

I am currently in discussion with a firm in Bahrain that are seeking to recruit a VP of Operations. My knowledge of the region is limited and I would hate to low ball my requirements. This may seem lame of me but I am finding it a challenge to locate salary levels in Bahrain to use as a comparison scale. What would a senior manager type go for in Bahrain? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :-)

RR..
you've hit a common problem in the Middle East. Two companies can pay totaly different salaries for the same post and both are likely to pay different salaries depending on what passport you've got and the colour of your skin.

what industry are you in? and where are you from? where were you trained and where did you gain your experience as these will all have a bearing on your salary.

a good idea might be to get the company to mention salary first, tell them what your currently on and tell them that you would expect a moderate increase (10-15%) (which is an industry wide standard to attract a senior manager) then remain non commital until you can check out the offer else where.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:48 pm
W10

Originally Posted by rrbilly
What would a senior manager type go for in Bahrain?
From what I've heard. Thai hooker

*I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress

Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

rrbilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Confused & Seeking Clarity...

Originally Posted by shiva
you've hit a common problem in the Middle East. Two companies can pay totaly different salaries for the same post and both are likely to pay different salaries depending on what passport you've got and the colour of your skin.

what industry are you in? and where are you from? where were you trained and where did you gain your experience as these will all have a bearing on your salary.

a good idea might be to get the company to mention salary first, tell them what your currently on and tell them that you would expect a moderate increase (10-15%) (which is an industry wide standard to attract a senior manager) then remain non commital until you can check out the offer else where.
Thanks for the quick feedback... (really appreciated)

I am in IT/Telecoms and a Canadian by birth. I was working in Toronto - then New York - and then moved to London (UK) nearly three years ago. My experience began in the industry 15 years ago pre-internet and I have been with a few global companies (like AT&T) and a few successful Internet start-ups.

What do experts (dare i say) usually negotiate for packages?

Any thoughts?

Also, any pointers on specific items that should be included?

Thanks again,

RR..
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how helpful expatwomens site might be, but I think they have some info...there's a link somewhere in the faq's as I cant' remember it off hand...
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:42 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't know how helpful expatwomens site might be, but I think they have some info...there's a link somewhere in the faq's as I cant' remember it off hand...

oooo bob you traitor..tsk tsk .

na just kidding,they might be useful, but then again a chocolate fire guard might be but it isnt
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:31 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

www.expatwoman.com
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
na just kidding,they might be useful, but then again a chocolate fire guard might be but it isnt
be a bit yummy though