Compact SUV 4x4

Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

doniv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Compact SUV 4x4

Good evening

I am new to the forum and currently am in Saudi (just moved in about a couple of months). I am looking to buy a new SUV 4x4; but one of my requirements is safety airbags (screens) for the rer passengers. On going to the various dealers here that part from the top end SUVs; the others do not have it. Further the top end compact SUVs (Prado V6/Nissan Pathfinder LX) are not in stock ( iam at Dhahran).

The Mitubishi Pajero is available and seems great value for money (with all the whistles and bells). However cursory look, it does not seem a very popular SUV despite its pedigree?

Any suggestions from forum on why this is so and also suggestions on what to buy ( I am not a great fan of the GMCs; reliability issues)

Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compact SUV 4x4

I think the (lower) popularity of the Pajero might be something to do with on going maintenance, as the spare parts for Mitsubishi tend to be a little higher than for Toyota and Nissan.

In addition - the re-sale value also for the Paj tend to be lower, compared with both Toyota and Nissan.

I think if you want reliability and all round good performance, then it has to be Japanese really. The others you may want to consider are Korean - Kia and Hyundai. Obviously cheaper and not as high end, but they do make some good motors these days.

Did you want proper 4x4 capability? Would rule out cars like the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I think the (lower) popularity of the Pajero might be something to do with on going maintenance, as the spare parts for Mitsubishi tend to be a little higher than for Toyota and Nissan.

In addition - the re-sale value also for the Paj tend to be lower, compared with both Toyota and Nissan.

I think if you want reliability and all round good performance, then it has to be Japanese really. The others you may want to consider are Korean - Kia and Hyundai. Obviously cheaper and not as high end, but they do make some good motors these days.

Did you want proper 4x4 capability? Would rule out cars like the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano?
Agree! I had a Hyundai Tucson V6 a few years ago. It was a wonderful car, only let down by Poor Servicing at Juma Al Majid here in Dubai (The Build Quality was Excellent! - Can't say the same for depreciation) Also had a Murano - that CVT Transmission is not like an 'Oil Filled Torque Converter' It goes like 'Shit off a Stick!' - Even better in the Altima! But the Murano is not a real 4X4 and neither is the Tucson.

Now back to buying my own 2008 RAV4 (Run it until it drops!) Would advise sticking to Toyota or Nissan. Mitsubishis tend to go into 'Self-Destruct Mode' after about four years!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:10 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I've just spent the day looking at Compact SUVs. I'm leaning towards a RAV 4, but I'm being put off by the tired interior. I know they've just launched a new version of it, so I might hold out for that.

That said, I know it's not a proper off-roader, but the Nissan Qashqai really impressed me.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I've just spent the day looking at Compact SUVs. I'm leaning towards a RAV 4, but I'm being put off by the tired interior. I know they've just launched a new version of it, so I might hold out for that.

That said, I know it's not a proper off-roader, but the Nissan Qashqai really impressed me.
You might want to check when they'll be getting it here in KSA.

Reason is, I went to look at the Ford dealers - as I really like the look of the 'all new' Explorer, which is the 2011 model. I asked when they would be getting it in, and they said not until 2012.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

The Explorers are a good deal in KSA.

97K SR on the road. Big heavy lump of a car but very comfy ride.

I know the Ford guy here, nearly bought one myself, but went for the used Patrol in the end.

Regards
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by irich
The Explorers are a good deal in KSA.

97K SR on the road. Big heavy lump of a car but very comfy ride.

I know the Ford guy here, nearly bought one myself, but went for the used Patrol in the end.

Regards
Eh ?

I got quoted 103k. Seem to be quite popular here in KSA, and I would think that with a new shape available soon, they would want to shift all old stock? Having said that, if I had a choice between brand new Explorer or used Patrol, I'd go Patrol every time.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

NISSAN XTERRA
has anyone been in one of these ? I want some personal advice on cooling in the back seats and whether those two weedy vents can keep two wee ones in cool comfort

The rest of the car seems bang on. Same 291 hp V6 as the pathfinder but less weight. Real 4x4 with HI/Lo and switch on the fly up to 60 mph, plus its 103 SAR/AED for a decent spec or 95k SAR for base model.

Besides not having a 7 seat option its head and shoulders above the current explorer

Demonstrator will be available tomorrow for a test run but its not that hot in Bahrain at the moment hence asking for the advice
Old Jun 18th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Yup, one of the best kept secrets I think, this one.

Pretty much the same as a Pathfinder, same off road capability, aimed at the 'younger / trendier ' market, but looks very similar and similar size to the PFinder, BUT far cheaper. I reckon you're getting virtually the same motor for a lot less outlay. No idea about the rear AC though.

Would deffo go for this ahead of the Explorer.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

I'd go for the auto version of the Xterra. Good 4x4. Leaf springs and a solid back axle. Powerful and fast.

It is widely reported on the Xterra forum that the manual versions have a major problem with the clutch frying (taken from one of the Nissan cars and not up to the job in the Xterra). The clutch is not covered usually under warranty.

There are also some reported issues with the autotransmission fluid mixing with the engine coolant due to failure of coolant tubes in the radiator (the transmission fluid is routed through the bottom part of the radiator as a cold start preheater system)

Under warranty this wouldn't be a problem and there is a simple fix involving a by pass.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Eh ?

I got quoted 103k. Seem to be quite popular here in KSA, and I would think that with a new shape available soon, they would want to shift all old stock? Having said that, if I had a choice between brand new Explorer or used Patrol, I'd go Patrol every time.
You'll get 95-97K if you haggle for ther standard spec model. I did. Didn't buy it in the end.

KSA bought up thousands of the surplus Ford Explorers from the States when the US economy tanked and Ford US were in trouble. They got them at a discount price and have been selling them on here ever since.

Not a good desert car (too heavy and lowish ground clearance) though. And the resale is not so hot.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irich
You'll get 95-97K if you haggle for ther standard spec model. I did. Didn't buy it in the end.

KSA bought up thousands of the surplus Ford Explorers from the States when the US economy tanked and Ford US were in trouble. They got them at a discount price and have been selling them on here ever since.

Not a good desert car (too heavy and lowish ground clearance) though. And the resale is not so hot.
My experience of Explorer's is that the alternators aren't up to the Middle East, and the auto transmission cooks itself and requires expensive rebuilding if used on sand. Other than that (ahem!) they are OK as on-highway 4X4s, being big and bulky.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Well test drive booked for 1 pm on Tuesday so lets see how that AC copes in the back. Went back for another look this evening and it seems to better than anything else on the market.
Price before haggling is same as a 2.7 Fortuner basic spec and whilst that does have excellent rear AC, the rest of the car is shite.
Autos only available in Bahrain so no worries on cooking the clutches. Not sure why I havent considered one of these in the past.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would deffo be interested in your 'road test review' of the Xterra. Am seriously considering a Pathfinder, but then came across the Xterra, which I think is much better value.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would deffo be interested in your 'road test review' of the Xterra. Am seriously considering a Pathfinder, but then came across the Xterra, which I think is much better value.
No worries. Will post something up on this thread afterwards. Should be able to give a reasonable comparison as we had a Pathfinder for 8 weeks recently. It was superb bar being the base model which doesnt have AC in the back. You have to go mid spec to get the separate AC and roof vents. Everything else you pay for on the Mid spec is unecessary and the top spec with its sunroof and DVD players in the roof is over the top in my humble opinion. Mid spec in Bahrain is 120K SAR plus on the road before haggling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.