Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

commuting from Dubai to Abu Dhabi: my first time

commuting from Dubai to Abu Dhabi: my first time

Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: commuting from Dubai to Abu Dhabi: my first time

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
People doing 100kph in the fast lane, 160kph in the...
This. I absolutely hate the idiots that park themselves on the 2nd lane next to the fast lane and pooter along at 80kph, forcing other people undertake them at times. stick to the right, stick to the right, stick to the right!!!

seriously i am shocked with the way people drive here with zero situational awareness. the only way i can explain is they are nothing short of idiotic.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat.brat
This. I absolutely hate the idiots that park themselves on the 2nd lane next to the fast lane and pooter along at 80kph, forcing other people undertake them at times. stick to the right, stick to the right, stick to the right!!!
yup, it's bloody dangerous. They always seem to be wearing the fez hat things too.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

yup, it's bloody dangerous. They always seem to be wearing the fez hat things too.
the worst is when you get a row of them across lanes 1 to 4, same speed all shoulder to shoulder. so f***ing retarded. i could go on about this all day.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Day 2:

I set off today 45 minutes earlier than yesterday (7.45 today, 8:30 yesterday).

I set the egg timer under the bonnet of the Pajero to 120kph (couldn't take that bloody beeping any longer), packed a couple of cartons of apple juice and put the Fleetwood Mac CD on.

Al Reem 2, Arabian Ranches, Dubai to Khalydiah, Abu Dhabi in... 1 hour and... 40 minutes (excluding Parking). Pit stopped for fuel (70Dh of E+, yesterday was 80Dh of Special). 6 minutes again.

I went a slightly different route (don't ask as I don't know, but ended up on SZR near Jebal Ali rather than further down it). It must be shorter, but there were traffic jams.

Traffic - the road was suicide today. Every nutter was out this morning, all lanes used for overtaking, loads of weaving in and out. People doing 100kph in the fast lane, 160kph in the middle lane and nutters weaving across 4 lanes at 200kph between them.

I'm staying down in AD tonight and going out on the piss. Cannot be bothered with that again. I'm knackered.
have u tried the very first road on right from ad border? its fairly clear, i always go that way when heading over to emirates road and beyond.

yes the ones that HAVE to drive at 120 in the third lane. u just have to go with the flow like everyone else and do the undertaking maneouvre. i have come up fast from behind in my stang flashing at them to see if they are looking in their mirror, nope, not a hope that they will move into the correct lane, they have their blinkers on....... saying "i must stay in this lane..."!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:08 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
have u tried the very first road on right from ad border? its fairly clear, i always go that way when heading over to emirates road and beyond.
It's called "Truck Road" and, apart from the lack of petrol stations when heading out from Dubai that way (nothing from Emirates Hills until after the border, IIRC - there's one on Emirates Road northbound close to the Truck Road roundabout), it's a great road.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
It's called "Truck Road" and, apart from the lack of petrol stations when heading out from Dubai that way (nothing from Emirates Hills until after the border, IIRC - there's one on Emirates Road northbound close to the Truck Road roundabout), it's a great road.
used that on the way home last night.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:22 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Been up and down to Dubai a coupla times in the last week with the kids and 'er indoors (kids did snorkelling in the Aquarium at Dubai Mall--was pretty cool). Anyway, best tactic for these **ckwits is to drive at 160 in the 2nd lane, level with another car doing 160 in the outside lane, so you simulataneously pass either side of the twat doing 100 in the 3rd lane. Freaked a few out.

Alternatively find one with open road in front of him/her, overtake at 160 in the outside lane, then indicate right and move sharply to the inside lane.

Not sure any of the above makes any difference 'cept for the mild feeling of satisfaction of thinking maybe, just maybe, someone will wonder "Now, why AM I driving in the 3rd lane at 100 kph?".

Mind you, are we guilty trying to import our own laws / customs? Is the rule of the road here that you stay in lane and overtake in any lane, a la US? Is there a Highway Code here? Am I asking really stupid questions?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:34 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Been up and down to Dubai a coupla times in the last week with the kids and 'er indoors (kids did snorkelling in the Aquarium at Dubai Mall--was pretty cool). Anyway, best tactic for these **ckwits is to drive at 160 in the 2nd lane, level with another car doing 160 in the outside lane, so you simulataneously pass either side of the twat doing 100 in the 3rd lane. Freaked a few out.

Alternatively find one with open road in front of him/her, overtake at 160 in the outside lane, then indicate right and move sharply to the inside lane.

Not sure any of the above makes any difference 'cept for the mild feeling of satisfaction of thinking maybe, just maybe, someone will wonder "Now, why AM I driving in the 3rd lane at 100 kph?".

Mind you, are we guilty trying to import our own laws / customs? Is the rule of the road here that you stay in lane and overtake in any lane, a la US? Is there a Highway Code here? Am I asking really stupid questions?
Yep!
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I say just ignore them. Set off 10 minutes earlier, adjust the machine to 120kph, head for the slow lane and listen to the Fleetwood Mac... take a Thermos of tea with you...

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 6th 2010 at 8:50 am.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I stay just ignore them. Set off 10 minutes earlier, adjust the machine to 120kph, head for the slow lane and listen to the Fleetwood Mac... take a Thermos of tea with you...
Maybe you're right. I need a few chill pills. Actually I was feeling chilled today till someone told me to pi** o**.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe you're right. I need a few chill pills. Actually I was feeling chilled today till someone told me to pi** o**.
This is what I did today (ok, I wasn't really listening to Fleetwood Mac) but it seemed to work. It's funny, as I normally just try and go as fast as possible, whereas if Lisa drives we take a pack lunch and take it easy.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I told you so.

I'm staying down in AD tonight and going out on the piss. Cannot be bothered with that again. I'm knackered.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I told you so.
I know, I know... I was going to stay both nights but had to get back to put up the lampshades...
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
yeh thought it was the truck road, thats the one that i always use, sush dont tell any one tho as they will all start using it.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i always do that, i will overtake and then immediately use the yellow things that come as standard on the side of the car and immediately go to the lane to the right that is empty, they are blinkered and still dont move over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.