Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

commute from Bahrain to Al-khobar?

commute from Bahrain to Al-khobar?

Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

vhl71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default commute from Bahrain to Al-khobar?

Is this a good idea to travel everyday for work?
I hear its around 45min-1 hour normally. In some cases it could be worse

Do I have to clear the immigration and customs everyday by lining up? Or is there a pass that I can get which will speed up the entry.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

BTW, the only way I'll take up this job is if we can live in bahrain. If I've to live in Saudi, the deal is off.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: commute from Bahrain to Al-khobar?

Loads of guys commute every day. It's a short journey but can be a long journey dependent on when you travel. If I go through at 5 then it's 15 mins max to get through from buying insurance to clearing Saudi customs.
You will have to go through all checks every day.
Get time wrong and it can be a couple of hours on the way back.
VIP pass available but prices have rocketed this year for some reason.

As said loads of guys do it everyday
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Scottrace does it on an almost daily basis.

Get on the causeway before 5.45am and it will take between 20 - 30 minutes to khobar. However, you have to carefully think about where in Bahrain you will live - you then have to factor in the travel time to get to the causeway in the 1st place. You need to think about living Jasra/Hamala/Janabiya if you want to keep travel time minimal and of course these are all in the "greenish zone" .

There are hundreds (if not more) of guys that do the commute everyday. Coming back in the evening will depend on the day/whats happening in Bahrain etc - it can take 20-30 mins or at worst (so far) 2 hours and then you really dont want another hour to get to your house once you get into Bahrain especially in the current climate. Getting the VIP Pass is almost impossible unless you know someone - you will need to queue with the rest of them but if you have all your paperwork in order (you and your car) it should be relatively straightforward.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

vhl71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottrace
Mr Scottrace does it on an almost daily basis.

Get on the causeway before 5.45am and it will take between 20 - 30 minutes to khobar. However, you have to carefully think about where in Bahrain you will live - you then have to factor in the travel time to get to the causeway in the 1st place. You need to think about living Jasra/Hamala/Janabiya if you want to keep travel time minimal and of course these are all in the "greenish zone" .

There are hundreds (if not more) of guys that do the commute everyday. Coming back in the evening will depend on the day/whats happening in Bahrain etc - it can take 20-30 mins or at worst (so far) 2 hours and then you really dont want another hour to get to your house once you get into Bahrain especially in the current climate. Getting the VIP Pass is almost impossible unless you know someone - you will need to queue with the rest of them but if you have all your paperwork in order (you and your car) it should be relatively straightforward.
thanks..thinking of saar - not really in the main village, about 10mins to the causeway according to the realtor. Its apparently not in the troublesome area of saar.
its good to know if i leave home early, i can get to al-khobar relatively easily
Even here in north america, i spend about 35-50mins everyday on the road.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point

An area of Saar thats not troublesome!!! Hmmmm - not been here long but didnt know there was one of those.

Whilst they might not be at your door - its pretty noisy most nights and you will need to get used to the smell of tear gas - am sure Tock will agree with me - it does happen
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottrace
An area of Saar thats not troublesome!!! Hmmmm - not been here long but didnt know there was one of those.

Whilst they might not be at your door - its pretty noisy most nights and you will need to get used to the smell of tear gas - am sure Tock will agree with me - it does happen
I do indeed. Stay on st Chris side of saar and you will be fine ish.