Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Coming to Dubai for 'holiday', which are the best rec. agencies?

Coming to Dubai for 'holiday', which are the best rec. agencies?

Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

UK PM 81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming to Dubai for 'holiday', which are the best rec. agencies?

Hi folks,

Ok - so i have a stable UK job but looking for a change. From past advice ppl mentioned that I should come out to Dubai for a 'holiday' to scope out the job market situation plus meet with recruitment consultants.

I will take that advice and come out in Dec this year. Im planning to come out around about 23rd Dec until 3rd Jan (flights permitting). The trip will be filled in with some pleasure!

So my questions are;
1. what are the best recruitment agencies in Dubai and Abu Dhabi?
2. Will the people who work be available? (presumably for Christmas/new year time they will be in UK/Europe. leaving behind useless timewasters who will 'fill' your CV ).
3. going there in person and handing out CVs, how much does that help in getting interviews?
4. what about other GCC countries, whats the best way to apply for them?

I have already spoke to a rec. consultant in Dub (REED consultancy). Im not holding my breathe in terms of hearing back from him. I think he has 'filled' my cv, straight in the bin

Im currently on £45K (single and only have a mortgage as expense), steady job, 6 years experience, bit bored and want a change. working now as a project manager.

Any help, suggestions, advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:59 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to Dubai for 'holiday', which are the best rec. agencies?

Originally Posted by UK PM 81
Hi folks,

Ok - so i have a stable UK job but looking for a change. From past advice ppl mentioned that I should come out to Dubai for a 'holiday' to scope out the job market situation plus meet with recruitment consultants.

I will take that advice and come out in Dec this year. Im planning to come out around about 23rd Dec until 3rd Jan (flights permitting). The trip will be filled in with some pleasure!

So my questions are;
2. Will the people who work be available? (presumably for Christmas/new year time they will be in UK/Europe. leaving behind useless timewasters who will 'fill' your CV ).
3. going there in person and handing out CVs, how much does that help in getting interviews?

I have already spoke to a rec. consultant in Dub (REED consultancy). Im not holding my breathe in terms of hearing back from him. I think he has 'filled' my cv, straight in the bin

Im currently on £45K (single and only have a mortgage as expense), steady job, 6 years experience, bit bored and want a change. working now as a project manager.

Cheers.
To be perfectly honest if you have a stable job then my advice would be to hang on a bit longer, as for recruitment agencies there are very few hiring and there are a lot of people about for those that are, if you want to come to Dubai/UAE then send them your Cv's and contact them prior to arrival but do not be surprised if you having come all this way they are still not available. It is mainly Abu Dhabi and outside areas such as Quatar, Kuwait, saudi that are hiring. As for agencies then google search brings them up. Good luck but think very hard about leaving it at least another year.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:44 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention that most of them will be shut, or working at half steam or the consultant will be on holiday at that time of year.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Hi folks,

So my questions are;

Cheers.
That is the worst possible time to come, as most recruitment consultants will be back in their home country for their Christmas break. I would leave it until Q1 next year.

What sector are you involved in?
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:46 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Luke and Jo
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Visited in Jan\Feb time.

There was a recruitment fair in Abu Dhabi at the time. I had one interview which didn't produce anything.

Before that we had both sent out loads of CVs. Phoned up companies etc.
We printed out business cards and CVs and literally went knocking on the doors of possible employeers. Jo targeted the government buildings and I went over to Internet City (dubai).

Getting a job over in the UAE (IMO) requires backing from your employer over in the UK, or you know someone based in the UAE who is willing to hire you. Its a whole different kettle of fish.

We came back to the UK feeling that it was the wrong time to have approached it all. What we did learn was that Dubai wasn't for us, didnt like the whole setup. On the other hand we fell in love with Abu Dhabi.

At the moment we are still based in the UK but slowly starting to look again targeting Abu Dhabi based companies rather than Dubai. No plans yet to go back over for a 2nd time, but that could change with one phone call.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sg800
That is the worst possible time to come, as most recruitment consultants will be back in their home country for their Christmas break. I would leave it until Q1 next year.

What sector are you involved in?
Im currently involved in systems eng (working within Air Traffic Controlling - aviation), but currently doing a civils project also.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rowell
To be perfectly honest if you have a stable job then my advice would be to hang on a bit longer, as for recruitment agencies there are very few hiring and there are a lot of people about for those that are, if you want to come to Dubai/UAE then send them your Cv's and contact them prior to arrival but do not be surprised if you having come all this way they are still not available. It is mainly Abu Dhabi and outside areas such as Quatar, Kuwait, saudi that are hiring. As for agencies then google search brings them up. Good luck but think very hard about leaving it at least another year.
Thanks for the reply. which agencies are recommended or considered to be reputable. I would rather speak to them over the phone and consider travelling if i get a somewhat positive response.
Nevertheless, im due a holiday any way. So coming to Dubai at that time of the year would be a nice break.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Im currently involved in systems eng (working within Air Traffic Controlling - aviation), but currently doing a civils project also.
You may get some joy as it sounds like your experience is very niche (rather than social housing for example which isnt in much demand here).

With various airport projects in Doha, Oman, UAE etc there may well be some interested companies depending on your exact experience.

Will PM you my email address for you to send a CV (I work in recruitment) and once I can see your exact profile I will either let you know if my company can help, or alternatively I can give you details of some other recruitment companies
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sg800
You may get some joy as it sounds like your experience is very niche (rather than social housing for example which isnt in much demand here).

With various airport projects in Doha, Oman, UAE etc there may well be some interested companies depending on your exact experience.

Will PM you my email address for you to send a CV (I work in recruitment) and once I can see your exact profile I will either let you know if my company can help, or alternatively I can give you details of some other recruitment companies
Well theres a nice start to your job hunt. Getting someone on board to help you.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

It's also worth looking at the GCC focused job boards like
"Gulf Talent"
Bayt
Recruit Gulf.

Many employers put their own jobs up onto these sites.

Post your CV ( they are "gulf" sites so probably not seen by your UK employer ) Employers often do a search of available CV's prior to briefing agencies.

You can also try Monster Gulf. It's a separate dedicated part of Monster. I've not had much luck finding Senior staff there - but cover all the bases.

The Gulf times classifieds is available electronically. It's harder work - but there are still jobs to be filled in the region. A lot of jobs just on natural staff turn over alone.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keoic
A lot of jobs just on natural staff turn over alone.
What do you mean by natural staff turn over? Many employers are hanging onto their staff to cut down on recruitment costs - there seems to be a lot of people moving around the region but staying with the same employer.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

"natural turnover" relates to the normal underlying need for staff to be replaced due to a wide variety of causes, many of which are unrelated to their employment, death in the family, winning the lottery, inheriting the farm, moving with Husband / wife 's new job opportunity. etc etc.

So there are replacement vacancies ocurring continuously- candidates just need to be looking on a continuous basis, is my point.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Dubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant futureDubai to Dibba Daily has a brilliant future

Also PM me and I will give you my email addy so you can send me your CV.

I work for a large well established (50 odd yrs) British Engineering Consultancy over here and we have a pretty big airports section (doing international and private projects) so they may be worth a shout. They did just bump a few people but you never know, you may be what they need.