Reload this Page >

Civil Contruction Engineer

Civil Contruction Engineer

Old Nov 6th 2022, 2:35 am
Just Joined

G. Engineer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil Contruction Engineer

Good Day Everyone,

I am a graduate Civil Engineer working in the delivery team building Infrastructure projects.
This includes pavements, drainage, FRPs, bridges, tunnels etc.
Ultimately, my goal is to get enough experience now in Australia and move to the M.E and work there with a better salary (tax-free).
Interms of positions, I know that the minimum contractors are looking for are Project Engineers, Senior P.Es, Project Managers/Construction Managers and above.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I want to know if there is also a demand for Western Quality Engineers. If Yes. What positions?
Quality Engineer, Senior Quality Engineer, Quality Manager?
From what I read, quality positions are given to locals. Is that right? Saudis, Qataris, Emaratis etc.

Also, what other fields in construction have demand in M.E.?
Contract Admins, Planners?
I am asking this because I am keen to move from the delivery team to the Quality team.
I want to know if there is a demand for western quality engineers in M.E and what is the min position/years of experience are required to work there.
I know, many here can advise me in this regard.

Thank you in Advance!

Old Nov 7th 2022, 6:57 pm

wilkobury is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Civil Contruction Engineer

Originally Posted by G. Engineer
Good Day Everyone,

I am a graduate Civil Engineer working in the delivery team building Infrastructure projects.
This includes pavements, drainage, FRPs, bridges, tunnels etc.
Ultimately, my goal is to get enough experience now in Australia and move to the M.E and work there with a better salary (tax-free).
Interms of positions, I know that the minimum contractors are looking for are Project Engineers, Senior P.Es, Project Managers/Construction Managers and above.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I want to know if there is also a demand for Western Quality Engineers. If Yes. What positions?
Quality Engineer, Senior Quality Engineer, Quality Manager?
From what I read, quality positions are given to locals. Is that right? Saudis, Qataris, Emaratis etc.

Also, what other fields in construction have demand in M.E.?
Contract Admins, Planners?
I am asking this because I am keen to move from the delivery team to the Quality team.
I want to know if there is a demand for western quality engineers in M.E and what is the min position/years of experience are required to work there.
I know, many here can advise me in this regard.

Thank you in Advance!

I’ve not been here in the region long, but I would say you’d need a good five years at least, maybe even 10 post-grad. THE place to be right now is KSA, and with a big pool of local graduate civil engineers coming through and Saudisation requirements, you are at a disadvantage.

Furthermore, most of the expat jobs are Client or Consultant side. But don’t just do a job because it might pay better in 10 years, do the job that you love doing!

My recommendation for a fresh grad would be forget about the tax free money at this stage. It wont make much/any difference at this level when you take into account what you’d get paid vs cost of living hereMaybe broaden your experience and value by keeping work options open - Europe/America perhaps. If you’ve got Europe/America/Asia in addition to Australia come 10 years time, you’ll have an interesting and potentially attractive CV.

Good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 5:34 am
Just Joined

G. Engineer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Civil Contruction Engineer

Hi Wilcobury
Thank you for the advices.
5 years is the goal then. I am happy to go to Asia when the opportunity arises. I am aware about the Saudisation but there is still demand for senior Engineers over there.
My main concern is, Is there demand for Quality Engineers? Whether client, consultant or contractor side? If yes, what position in the ladder? Quality Engineer, Seniour Q.E, Quality Manager?
Wilbury can you please shed some light to me about this?
And anyone who has experience on this matter.

Thank you in Advance!