British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Christmas.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/christmas-267869/)

novita77 Nov 21st 2004 5:12 pm

Christmas....

I am just wondering... Who will be spending xmas in the ME and who will going home for xmas?

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 2:31 am

Re: Christmas....

Originally Posted by novita77
I am just wondering... Who will be spending xmas in the ME and who will going home for xmas?

Morning Novita. I will be here in the ME this year, gonna be strange having sunshine on Xmas day, when what I would really like is the cold, wet and windy weather.
With family coming out, I am to make the best of it! :)

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Morning Novita. I will be here in the ME this year, gonna be strange having sunshine on Xmas day, when what I would really like is the cold, wet and windy weather.

Me too, I am here and have family coming out SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited :D

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Jellybean

Morning Jools, Just sent you a long email .. Enjoy! :)

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 3:32 am

What did you do for your son's 12th Birthday in the end?:)

Truth Speak Nov 22nd 2004 3:57 am

Spending Xmas in Dubai - got the motherinlaw staying for 2 weeks - won't say any more on the grounds that I want to make it to 2005!! :eek:

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 4:47 am

Morning Jools, Just sent you a long email .. Enjoy! :)

Got it will send karma in payment as soon as I can, thanks :D

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 4:52 am

What did you do for your son's 12th Birthday in the end?:)

First off he got an Xbox, which almost broke the bank :eek: he wanted a new bike AS WELL!!!! Bless, kids today huh.

Anyway, we had 9 friends round for the morning...out playing with cars LOL :p Then we all went to watch Sharks Tale, really good, and saw all the trailers for the up and coming movies for Xmas.....sooo excited LOL. Then we all headed down to Hard Rock, where we had a bun fight, cream cake in the face etc.. A friend for a sleep-over, watching movies with pop-corn 'til VERY late. He was happy, hubby and I were....ready for a large wine :D

How about yours?

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Spending Xmas in Dubai - got the motherinlaw staying for 2 weeks - won't say any more on the grounds that I want to make it to 2005!! :eek:

BIG brownie points if you do LOL :D

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 5:02 am

First off he got an Xbox, which almost broke the bank :eek: he wanted a new bike AS WELL!!!! Bless, kids today huh.

Anyway, we had 9 friends round for the morning...out playing with cars LOL :p Then we all went to watch Sharks Tale, really good, and saw all the trailers for the up and coming movies for Xmas.....sooo excited LOL. Then we all headed down to Hard Rock, where we had a bun fight, cream cake in the face etc.. A friend for a sleep-over, watching movies with pop-corn 'til VERY late. He was happy, hubby and I were....ready for a large wine :D

How about yours?

A huge cake from P & S, groovy chick design, the bakery manager stood chatting for over half hour and it turns out he lived in the next village down from us in somerset!

Treated to a french manicure and a had her hair done, god she looked older than 12 years. Friends over, take out kentucky as requested, she enjoyed her day doing what she wanted, lots of nice pressies gosh times have changed havent they!

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 5:14 am

A huge cake from P & S, groovy chick design, the bakery manager stood chatting for over half hour and it turns out he lived in the next village down from us in somerset!

Treated to a french manicure and a had her hair done, god she looked older than 12 years. Friends over, take out kentucky as requested, she enjoyed her day doing what she wanted, lots of nice pressies gosh times have changed havent they!

I can't ever remember having a birthday party when I was little let alone a cake. I had 3 older brothers and neither did they, mum & dad must have thought if they do it for one they would have to do it for all....they just couldn't afford it. I never complained, I always got a card and a pressie of some description :)

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 5:17 am

I can't ever remember having a birthday party when I was little let alone a cake. I had 3 older brothers and neither did they, mum & dad must have thought if they do it for one they would have to do it for all....they just couldn't afford it. I never complained, I always got a card and a pressie of some description :)

My mum banned birthday parties after a fight broke out at my 5th birthday!!! After that me and my brother were allowed a few, carefully selected and approved, friends to take out to the cinema/bowling/ice skating etc.

novita77 Nov 22nd 2004 5:19 am

Morning Heart, JB and Kristy.... morning everybody.... :D

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 5:20 am

Morning Heart, JB and Kristy.... morning everybody.... :D

Morning Novita!

I'll be spending Christmas back in the UK. Actually, I'm moving back to the UK on 23rd December.

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 5:22 am

Originally Posted by kristy
Morning Novita!

I'll be spending Christmas back in the UK. Actually, I'm moving back to the UK on 23rd December.

:scared: Moving back :scared: Must get Xmas drinks in before that then LOL

Morning Novita :)

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 5:31 am

Morning Novita!

And Im the excess baggage!!!!! :)

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 5:32 am

:scared: Moving back :scared: Must get Xmas drinks in before that then LOL

Morning Novita :)

Yep, one month to go! I've been on the Moving Back to the UK forum getting people to say nice things about the UK, cos it was getting depressing with the number of 'I'm moving over and I'm so excited' and 'The UK sucks I'm glad I don't live there any more' type posts.

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 5:33 am

And Im the excess baggage!!!!! :)

Heh heh, I've got loads of baggage allowance so I might be able to squeeze you in!!! :D

novita77 Nov 22nd 2004 5:34 am

Morning Novita!

How abt ur other half? :D Are u going to left him behind???

novita77 Nov 22nd 2004 5:35 am

Yep, one month to go! I've been on the Moving Back to the UK forum getting people to say nice things about the UK, cos it was getting depressing with the number of 'I'm moving over and I'm so excited' and 'The UK sucks I'm glad I don't live there any more' type posts.

Just wondering... do u ever miss UK? How abt JB? I know Heart always on about missing the UK...

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 5:39 am

How abt ur other half? :D Are u going to left him behind???

Yeah, shit happens.

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 5:47 am

Just wondering... do u ever miss UK? How abt JB? I know Heart always on about missing the UK...

The Uk is my home and has been all my life, there is nothing wrong with missing the familiaralrity of the Uk, the convienence of everything.

Im here because I love my hubby and I followed him cos of his work. Im getting use the way of life here, but I will still have a gripe from time to time. :)

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 5:49 am

Yeah I do sometimes. At least you can get most things in the shops. But not round-toed shoes, Dubai takes a while to catch up on the fashion stakes.

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 5:55 am

The Uk is my home and has been all my life, there is nothing wrong with missing the familiaralrity of the Uk, the convienence of everything.

Im here because I love my hubby and I followed him cos of his work. Im getting use the way of life here, but I will still have a gripe from time to time. :)

And the heat gets boring after a while. I've always liked the cold, which is good as my next job will take me into Scandinavia, Russia, Poland etc!

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 5:55 am

Yeah I always miss home, the familiarity, family, snow, socks a fluffy slippers etc. I never get bored of going home to visit, I can't say that I want to move back there yet though but I would like to retire there. :)

Kristy....just so we know, what is JC like when he is "like a bear with a sore head" just so we can prepare LOL ;)

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 5:57 am

Yeah I always miss home, the familiarity, family, snow, socks a fluffy slippers etc. I never get bored of going home to visit, I can't say that I want to move back there yet though but I would like to retire there. :)

Kristy....just so we know, what is JC like when he is "like a bear with a sore head" just so we can prepare LOL ;)

I have no idea!! :D

Palm Tree Nov 22nd 2004 6:03 am

Hi Novita

I don't miss the UK as a whole, as I call myself a misplaced person and am in search of a base. Hoping that Dubai will give it to me. As I wasn't born in the UK and only moved there to be with my love, I have no real attachements. My best memories are from there and I miss my friends and some conveniences. The same goes for Switzerland, where I was born but never felt at home. I have never lived in my parents home country and therefore have nothing to miss there, despite loving to visit. I love the following saying but sadly, it doesn't work for me but it does for many:

Never forget the homeland, where your cradle stood,
you will never find again, another place you can call home.

I hope it makes sense, as I translated it from German. Original version for those who speak German:

Vergesse nie die Heimat, wo Deine Wiege stand,
Du findest in ther Ferne, nie ein zweites Heimatland.

Every country has something beautiful and difficult to offer. Each individual has to find out what suits their demands and dreams for a decent future best.

As for Xmas, yes, my first time in the sun too. I used to miss snow in Switzerland when I was in the UK but I will not miss the rain and the fog from the UK. My parents and some of their friends will be over. Very excited about my dad coming as he is equally excited. My mum, thats a long story .... Just wish me luck!

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 6:05 am

And the heat gets boring after a while. I've always liked the cold, which is good as my next job will take me into Scandinavia, Russia, Poland etc!

I said that the world is your oyster!!! The closest I get to cold wether is turning the AC down and putting on my thick jumper!

I winter woolies, thick socks and all that goes with it.

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 6:36 am

1 Attachment(s)

I said that the world is your oyster!!! The closest I get to cold wether is turning the AC down and putting on my thick jumper!

I winter woolies, thick socks and all that goes with it.

Something like this :D

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 6:58 am

Something like this :D

Yes, I even turn blue to!!! Im waiting with baited breath to see what prime has to offer over the fesitve season. :( Not much I dont think

novita77 Nov 22nd 2004 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
Hi Novita

I don't miss the UK as a whole, as I call myself a misplaced person and am in search of a base. Hoping that Dubai will give it to me. As I wasn't born in the UK and only moved there to be with my love, I have no real attachements. My best memories are from there and I miss my friends and some conveniences. The same goes for Switzerland, where I was born but never felt at home. I have never lived in my parents home country and therefore have nothing to miss there, despite loving to visit. I love the following saying but sadly, it doesn't work for me but it does for many:

Never forget the homeland, where your cradle stood,
you will never find again, another place you can call home.

I hope it makes sense, as I translated it from German. Original version for those who speak German:

Vergesse nie die Heimat, wo Deine Wiege stand,
Du findest in ther Ferne, nie ein zweites Heimatland.

Every country has something beautiful and difficult to offer. Each individual has to find out what suits their demands and dreams for a decent future best.

As for Xmas, yes, my first time in the sun too. I used to miss snow in Switzerland when I was in the UK but I will not miss the rain and the fog from the UK. My parents and some of their friends will be over. Very excited about my dad coming as he is equally excited. My mum, thats a long story .... Just wish me luck!

PT... I just wondering how many languages do u speaks?

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 7:08 am

Yes, I even turn blue to!!! Im waiting with baited breath to see what prime has to offer over the fesitve season. :( Not much I dont think

You never know, they did have Children in Need on the other night!

Heart of gold Nov 22nd 2004 7:31 am

You never know, they did have Children in Need on the other night!

Im hoping for some good tv viewing as in the uk, for the kids mainly.

Palm Tree Nov 22nd 2004 7:57 am

PT... I just wondering how many languages do u speaks?

10 and have just started on tackling number 11 (Arabic) but am finding it really challenging!

novita77 Nov 22nd 2004 8:22 am

10 and have just started on tackling number 11 (Arabic) but am finding it really challenging!

Never!!!! :scared: Bloody hell!!! I am struggling with my english... and you speaks 10 languages??? You are not joking are you???

Palm Tree Nov 22nd 2004 11:33 am

Never!!!! :scared: Bloody hell!!! I am struggling with my english... and you speaks 10 languages??? You are not joking are you???

No, I am not kidding but having grown up in Switzerland it was pretty essential to learn as many languages as possible to have a good career chance. A good diploma isn't good enough, as people usually end up studying very hard in a small country and you just have to keep one step ahead.

Jellybean Nov 22nd 2004 11:49 am

1 Attachment(s)

Is that TV??? I don't have Prime I only have crap from Sahmnet

rafter Nov 22nd 2004 11:51 am

No, I am not kidding but having grown up in Switzerland it was pretty essential to learn as many languages as possible to have a good career chance. A good diploma isn't good enough, as people usually end up studying very hard in a small country and you just have to keep one step ahead.

What are the languages you speak then?

Palm Tree Nov 22nd 2004 11:59 am

Is that TV??? I don't have Prime I only have crap from Sahmnet

You can get BBC Prime from Sahmnet on Orbit but everything has its price and not sure it is really worth the extra, or get it for free per satelite like me.

Palm Tree Nov 22nd 2004 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by rafter
What are the languages you speak then?

Well, I suspect you beat Novita in her curiosity. Here it goes:

1. Czech
2. Slovak
3. Swiss German
4. German
5. French
6. Italian
7. Spanish