Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way of financing a new car??

Cheapest way of financing a new car??

Old Dec 29th 2007, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

lofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Cheapest way of financing a new car??

I'm in the process of buying a new car (maybe brand new or used) and car prices are much cheaper then the UK but finance isn't! When i was in the UK i used to do a bit of stoozing to get free borrowing from balance transfer cards and borrow for almost nothing!

Whereas here i seem to be stuck with either my bank or the car dealers 10+% APR loans which are quoted in stupid, misleading 5% flat rates + arrangement fees, insurance, early repayment fees etc etc

I have considered buying on a UK interest free credit card or doing a super balance transfer on a UK card but with the typical 3% exchange rate comission & strenghtening dhirham its less atractive. Plus the credit crunch is meaning its not nearly as easy as it used to be!

I'm sure there's loads of finacialy savy expats here who may be able to offer some advice?

I'm potential looking to borrow about 100k DHS over about 4 or 5 years but I will be paying it off in full within 12 - 18mths

Thanks in advance!!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest way of financing a new car??

we have always just got a bank loan via HSBC so I am no help
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

You will be facing huge early repayment penalties for giving them the money back early. The cheapest way may well be to take an unsecured personal loan in the UK and bring the money over here. This puts you at the mercy of exchange rates but interest rates seem to be falling in the UK, taking the pound with them.

Loans of any kind in Dubai are a rip off.

Alternatively, and this is a radical concept especially in Dubai, you could (whisper it) save up for a couple of years and use (whisper it again) cash. I think you will find that is the cheapest way by far but don't tell anybody you heard it from me. I don't want to be accused of undermining the Dubai economy.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
You will be facing huge early repayment penalties for giving them the money back early. The cheapest way may well be to take an unsecured personal loan in the UK and bring the money over here. This puts you at the mercy of exchange rates but interest rates seem to be falling in the UK, taking the pound with them.

Loans of any kind in Dubai are a rip off.

Alternatively, and this is a radical concept especially in Dubai, you could (whisper it) save up for a couple of years and use (whisper it again) cash. I think you will find that is the cheapest way by far but don't tell anybody you heard it from me. I don't want to be accused of undermining the Dubai economy.
shhhhhhh dont tell everyone
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

I can keep a secret, ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Dec 29th 2007, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lofty1
I'm in the process of buying a new car (maybe brand new or used) and car prices are much cheaper then the UK but finance isn't! When i was in the UK i used to do a bit of stoozing to get free borrowing from balance transfer cards and borrow for almost nothing!

Whereas here i seem to be stuck with either my bank or the car dealers 10+% APR loans which are quoted in stupid, misleading 5% flat rates + arrangement fees, insurance, early repayment fees etc etc

I have considered buying on a UK interest free credit card or doing a super balance transfer on a UK card but with the typical 3% exchange rate comission & strenghtening dhirham its less atractive. Plus the credit crunch is meaning its not nearly as easy as it used to be!

I'm sure there's loads of finacialy savy expats here who may be able to offer some advice?

I'm potential looking to borrow about 100k DHS over about 4 or 5 years but I will be paying it off in full within 12 - 18mths

Thanks in advance!!
Try ADCB or Commercial International Bank...4% flat rate...You won't get APRs,this isn't Utopia...
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

To quote a line from yesterday's Times

The notion of living within your means is as archaic as rationing

As far as I am concerned, if you don't have the cash, don't buy it. It really isn't necessary to have the newest TV, latest car etc

Old Dec 30th 2007, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

To quote a line from yesterday's Times

The notion of living within your means is as archaic as rationing

As far as I am concerned, if you don't have the cash, don't buy it. It really isn't necessary to have the newest TV, latest car etc

ok for TV's etc but not really for cars!
very few people are going to save up the amount of money needed for a decent car. also most people on here will get allowances to buy a car as part of their salaries.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

The OP was talking about a loan of 100,000Dhs to be paid off in 12-18 months. So presumably by waiting 12-18 months he would be able to pay cash. To me the obvious answer would be to buy a cheaper car, run it for 2 years while saving some money and then buy the 100,000Dhs car for cash. Has to be better than paying out thousands in interest on a depreciating asset. Am I missing something here?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

The OP was talking about a loan of 100,000Dhs to be paid off in 12-18 months. So presumably by waiting 12-18 months he would be able to pay cash. To me the obvious answer would be to buy a cheaper car, run it for 2 years while saving some money and then buy the 100,000Dhs car for cash. Has to be better than paying out thousands in interest on a depreciating asset. Am I missing something here?
a lot of people only stay a couple of years here and to wait would be missing a chance to own the type of car they could not afford to buy or run back home.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you BR but we would never be able to save up the 100! we would end up spending it on something else
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

No - very sound advice, unless the OP doesn't want to liquidate his assets/investments that provide higher returns than the interest rate/finance charges!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
a lot of people only stay a couple of years here and to wait would be missing a chance to own the type of car they could not afford to buy or run back home.
But they can't afford to buy it- if they could they wouldn't need a loan! I think Blue Cat's explanation about a lack of willpower (not getting at you BC) is probably more accurate and helps to explain why a lot of people do their two or three years in Dubai and wonder why they haven't saved any money.

As an aside, I wonder if the people who are thinking about the best way to borrow money to buy a car they can't really afford are also they ones complaining about the increase in rents and grocery costs? Just a thought, not getting at anybody in particular.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But they can't afford to buy it- if they could they wouldn't need a loan! I think Blue Cat's explanation about a lack of willpower (not getting at you BC) is probably more accurate and helps to explain why a lot of people do their two or three years in Dubai and wonder why they haven't saved any money.

As an aside, I wonder if the people who are thinking about the best way to borrow money to buy a car they can't really afford are also they ones complaining about the increase in rents and grocery costs? Just a thought, not getting at anybody in particular.
but if you are getting a car allowance that covers the cost of your loan repayments then you can afford it!

should people who want to buy property wait until they have saved enough money?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I presume the car allowance is given whether you borrow the money or not, or indeed whether you buy a car or not, so really it is just part of your salary and you could just put the allowance towards your savings for a car.

Property is slightly different as (hopefully!) it goes up in value not down and may even go up by more than the interest on the loan is costing you. Certainly has in Dubai for the last couple of years but I have lost many thousands in depreciation on my cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.