Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cheap(ish) areas in Abu Dhabi

Cheap(ish) areas in Abu Dhabi

Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

popsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to all
Default Cheap(ish) areas in Abu Dhabi

Hiya - there is quite possibly a thread that covers this off, but I cant find it. Any help or advice most gratefully received.

Anyways, looking to move over to Abu Dhabi in the next month or so and I think we can realistically afford a rent of no more that 180k to ensure we can save a bit of money, pay for school, go out and have a bit of a life. We would need at least a 3 bed villa (not townhouse, need some decent downstairs space with a baby), preferably in a compound, but not necessarily if there are good facilities close by. Am I being realistic? Does such a place exist? If so, where is it?

Husband will be working Corniche way, daughter will likely be at BSAK, Al Yasmina or Brighton Academy.

Thank you!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all
Default Re: Cheap(ish) areas in Abu Dhabi

Not sure about AD but i don't think there is a compound culture in the UAE.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:45 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackwow
Not sure about AD but i don't think there is a compound culture in the UAE.
There are loads of compounds here. Really, from great big ones to small. Some will have a gym, almost all have a pool.

In Abu Dhabi there are some dotted all over the main island and more off island. Al reef is in your price range but is pretty far away from the action. Sas al nakheel might be almost there now... The others: golf gardens, seashore, mangrove, khalidiya, etc are probably too expensive but it's worth a good old sniff around, particularly in seashore.

There was a whole new area coming on when I left Abu Dhabi around the Khalifa park area-think it was called bloom gardens.

Then you have loads and loads of smaller compounds dotted all over Khalifa a& b and Mohammed bin zayed city - most seem to come with pools, occasionally with gyms.

There's also Al Raha gardens but they don't have any facilities and they have huge cooling bills. Some are lovely inside though.

Al nayhan camp seems to have good deals - not sure what the villas are like there. Thats on island near al wadha mall.

Does it have to be a villa? We lived very happily in a big apartment with a gym, squash court, steam rooms and big pool and garden on the roof. Great views and it was right next to the corniche. my kids loved it there.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

popsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to allpopsicle is a name known to all

Thank you - really helpful! The reason why I say a compound villa is because thats what we currently have in Bahrain. My 11 loves to play outside with other kids and I worry that if we were in an apartment she would be stuck indoors. Then most of the day I am stuck indoors (particularly in the summer) with a baby and I worry if an apartment would be a bit claustrophobic?

Mind you, Im comparing this to Bahrain where there really is sod all to do apart from go to the gym and play on the compound park. Im hoping for a bit more life in AD...is that wishful thinking? Do the kids play with each other in apartment blocks?

I would love, love, love to be able to walk to places, to a shop, to a restaurant, maybe even a library!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I spent many weekends over the spring and summer 2011 looking at compounds and villas before my family arrived, and put the attachment below together to send to them - it might help you a bit. The prices are as I was given them whenever I inquired (or, in some cases, what the gate-guard told me), and I have not since updated them as I have no idea how they have changed over the past 4-8 months. Prices were dropping quite significantly over the time I was looking, and I ended up in Al Dhafra compound, which is pretty central (off 4th/13th Sts) - originally they were asking well over 240kAED, but I ended up getting ours at 200kAED. I don't know if prices have continued to drop. We can easily walk to shops, malls and restaurants - though somewhere like the Corniche would be a bit far to walk with children. There aren't many libraries around... It is also only a couple of blocks from BSAK.

If you pm me with an e-mail I'm happy to try to answer specific questions.

Oh, one more comment - some compounds have a great social life and/or lots of children playing in streets together, others are pretty quiet. Without visiting or asking someone living there, it is hard to be sure what you will get. Don't automatically assume compound = good social life.
Attached Files
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Wow!! Incredibly handy! Wish my husband took such an interest in house hunting. Amazing - thanks!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
I spent many weekends over the spring and summer 2011 looking at compounds and villas before my family arrived, and put the attachment below together to send to them - it might help you a bit. The prices are as I was given them whenever I inquired (or, in some cases, what the gate-guard told me), and I have not since updated them as I have no idea how they have changed over the past 4-8 months. Prices were dropping quite significantly over the time I was looking, and I ended up in Al Dhafra compound, which is pretty central (off 4th/13th Sts) - originally they were asking well over 240kAED, but I ended up getting ours at 200kAED. I don't know if prices have continued to drop. We can easily walk to shops, malls and restaurants - though somewhere like the Corniche would be a bit far to walk with children. There aren't many libraries around... It is also only a couple of blocks from BSAK.

If you pm me with an e-mail I'm happy to try to answer specific questions.

Oh, one more comment - some compounds have a great social life and/or lots of children playing in streets together, others are pretty quiet. Without visiting or asking someone living there, it is hard to be sure what you will get. Don't automatically assume compound = good social life.
Excellent Work! Descriptions are spot on.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:24 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked for waiting lists in these schools?
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

there are a lot on the market nowadays, but it all depends on the landlord as to what price they will charge, some still will leave it empty (as they can) and try and get what price they would like. if you get into yasmina or brighton college then off island would be better, bsak is on island. i have been commuting from khalifa a and b for the last few years and its only a 20 mins drive to bsak, from kca or b to yasmina its like 5 mins and a little depending on where exactly, or to brighton college a little more like 10 mins. you really need to find the sch place first, as there are loads of people who are commuting up and down the road unnecessarily as they are stuck with their housing at the opposite end of the abu dhabi to where the sch is as you have to pay the whole year for the house and so when it comes up for renewal there may not be able houses closer to your school (in the past) nowadays its getting better. we live on a compound of 6 in kcb and as we are close to the main roads/junctions its easy to commute into town (there are a couple coming up for rent too) there are quite a few kids here.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya - on the schools front, it doesnt look like Yasmina will be a problem, still waiting to hear back from BC and BSAK. Looking from a distance all 3 schools look pretty good to me - is that the case in reality?

I dont know why Im so certain that a school place will come up, maybe because I read all the horror stories about getting a school in Bahrain, but it wasnt really an issue with my daughter being British, pretty bright and looking for a place in the higher years...

Well go into accommodation provided by the employer in the first instance so can commute either way in the short term, but would like a few areas/compounds to have a stab at once we get there. I actually fancy the look of Brighton College - is that ridiculous seeing as its so new?

Everyones advice really is gold dust - please keep it coming!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Abu_Dhabi_City_Guide

That's what is in the wiki, but it's been a while since it's been updated with the rental/living situation, so guessing it's massively out of date, but if anyone is in the know wouldn't mind checking it out and updating it, or help compile some new info for it, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it