British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   cheap DXB hotels (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cheap-dxb-hotels-683906/)

Millhouse Sep 6th 2010 6:13 am

Re: cheap DXB hotels

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8827807)
but what if you had to put money into a meter to get the aircon going?

I've had to do that in Turkey.

... and in Greece (on an 18-30 holiday) I had to rent the bloody fan in the room!

Still, the mission on an 18-30 holiday is that you find a filly who has AC and stay with her.

It's just dawned on Millhouse that he is no longer able to go on an 18-30 holiday...

Grace O Malley Sep 6th 2010 6:16 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8828915)

... and in Greece (on an 18-30 holiday) I had to rent the bloody fan in the room!

Still, the mission on an 18-30 holiday is that you find a filly who has AC and stay with her.

It's just dawned on Millhouse that he is no longer able to go on an 18-30 holiday...

ha ha 18-30 are they still going?

Millhouse Sep 6th 2010 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8828920)
ha ha 18-30 are they still going?

yup.

Roadking Sep 6th 2010 6:49 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8828915)

Yeah but you can go SAGA now...;0)

Millhouse Sep 6th 2010 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8828963)
Yeah but you can go SAGA now...;0)

I like 'em older, but I'm not so sure about them qualifying for discounted car insurance.

typical Sep 6th 2010 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8827513)
hell, is that for real...?

Absolutely - do a dummy booking on the website and you can pay for it in advance :)

I've never been on a 18-30 holiday. Nearest I got was renting a caravan in Skegness with some mates after A-Levels...

NaimTakieddin Sep 6th 2010 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8826389)
Can't get much cheaper than a tent in the desert!

LOL, this is what we called a dried sense of humor..^^

NaimTakieddin Sep 6th 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8823076)
Got a mate coming out in October, I know there are now cheapish hotels like holiday inn etc but anyone know of any other half decent ones? Up near Marina way / Disco Gardens if poss.

Ta all.

Ok, looking out through websites for your purpose will get you nowhere since most of them are seeking profits in E-commerce!

I had the same situation at the past! I checked almost every hotel in Riyadh ultimately I caught exceptional good price in private furbished complex...it is not a hotel though it s rather similar to motel ..

they called it in ARABIC ( شقق مفروشة ) in where you can bargain or negotiate the rates with the attendant there without any embarassment!!

Good luck

norsk Sep 6th 2010 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin (Post 8829446)
Ok, looking out through websites for your purpose will get you nowhere since most of them are seeking profits in E-commerce!

Do me a favour and never get into retail or hospitality as you clearly have no idea...

The idea of offering hotel rooms online is to increase occupancy rates not to charge extra for the pleasure of you being able to book from your own home without picking up the phone. It's similar to how airlines give discounts online the closer you get to departure to reduce wasted capacity (ie empty seats).

The fact that a hotel which is part of an international chain sometimes don't offer their best deals on their website is because they attempting to avoid lowering the perceived value of their brand. So instead they'll sell loads of rooms for next to nothing to Expedia, Lastminute and so on. Sometimes they include clauses like 'we must be anonymous until the booking is complete' which is usually what has happened when you get a suite in Vegas or New York for 20% of what the person in the room/suite next door paid.

A little tip is to call the hotel up directly. Usually you'll have access to at least some of the good rates then, especially if it's out of season or they are unusually empty...

NaimTakieddin Sep 6th 2010 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8829934)
Do me a favour and never get into retail or hospitality as you clearly have no idea...

The idea of offering hotel rooms online is to increase occupancy rates not to charge extra for the pleasure of you being able to book from your own home without picking up the phone. It's similar to how airlines give discounts online the closer you get to departure to reduce wasted capacity (ie empty seats).

The fact that a hotel which is part of an international chain sometimes don't offer their best deals on their website is because they attempting to avoid lowering the perceived value of their brand. So instead they'll sell loads of rooms for next to nothing to Expedia, Lastminute and so on. Sometimes they include clauses like 'we must be anonymous until the booking is complete' which is usually what has happened when you get a suite in Vegas or New York for 20% of what the person in the room/suite next door paid.

A little tip is to call the hotel up directly. Usually you'll have access to at least some of the good rates then, especially if it's out of season or they are unusually empty...

Hey Buddy, do me a favor and watch your tongue as I am talking out of my experience in this area of the worl and specially the arab gulf.

I ve told you I had the same situation as what I described above all e-offers hide behind them many extra costs however, the there would be slight difference between booking on-line or personally in check in counters..

norsk Sep 6th 2010 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin (Post 8830311)
Hey Buddy, do me a favor and watch your tongue as I am talking out of my experience in this area of the worl and specially the arab gulf.

I ve told you I had the same situation as what I described above all e-offers hide behind them many extra costs however, the there would be slight difference between booking on-line or personally in check in counters..

I did watch my tongue buddy...:p

Anyway I didn't want to pick a fight with you, only point out that reality isn't necessarily as simple as what you claimed to ensure people of the bored get a balanced view...

That's it. Thank you for playing. M'asalama...

Millhouse Sep 7th 2010 5:09 am

I always find it more expensive to call directly rather than booking online.

I stayed in AD last night, internet price 245Dh - call up and negotiate with the robot - 300Dh.

flares Sep 7th 2010 5:13 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8830998)
I always find it more expensive to call directly rather than booking online.

I stayed in AD last night, internet price 245Dh - call up and negotiate with the robot - 300Dh.

that's value...which hotel?

Millhouse Sep 7th 2010 5:20 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8831004)
that's value...which hotel?

Al Diar, Regency. It was actually very nice - I was even upgraded to a suite.

The Mina hotel (next door) was 225 for the night.

Holking Sep 7th 2010 11:44 am

The grand Midwest Apartments in Discovery Gardens are clean, confortable and spacious. Under 300 a night but no pool.