British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   cheap DXB hotels (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/cheap-dxb-hotels-683906/)

Spugsy Sep 3rd 2010 9:51 am

cheap DXB hotels

Got a mate coming out in October, I know there are now cheapish hotels like holiday inn etc but anyone know of any other half decent ones? Up near Marina way / Disco Gardens if poss.

Ta all.

lionheart Sep 3rd 2010 10:18 am

Re: cheap DXB hotels

Look on booking.com and you will find plenty for under Dhs200 per night.

rowell Sep 3rd 2010 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 8823076)
Got a mate coming out in October, I know there are now cheapish hotels like holiday inn etc but anyone know of any other half decent ones? Up near Marina way / Disco Gardens if poss.

Ta all.

Byblos at Al Barsha is good VFM, there is another couple in that area as well, one just opened about 2 months ago but cannot for the life of me remeber the name

Madam Medusa Sep 3rd 2010 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 8823440)
Byblos at Al Barsha is good VFM, there is another couple in that area as well, one just opened about 2 months ago but cannot for the life of me remeber the name

citymax...?

MM, xx

Purdey Sep 4th 2010 3:08 pm

Centro in Barsha is very new and looks good.
Rates start at under AED 300 and it has a bar. Walking distance to MoE.

norsk Sep 4th 2010 4:52 pm

I'm booked to stay in Ibis Mall of Emirates for a week in November (going to see the F1 amongst other things). I'm paying less than AED2,000 inc all taxes. The hotel looks decent and has a bar, but no breakfast and no pool...

Roadking Sep 4th 2010 7:07 pm

Can't get much cheaper than a tent in the desert!

TGFKASE Sep 4th 2010 8:10 pm

The Easyhotel in JAFZA should be open soon, if there website is anything to go by...

Much cheapness from Stelios....

Bigtaff Sep 5th 2010 5:35 am

I stayed in The Ibis, Al Barsha when I first arrived here. Its plenty good enough for sleeping and eating in. If you intend spending lots of time in your hotel then its not a good choice as there is little to do there but most people that come to Dubai would only sleep and breakfast in their hotel, wouldn't you say? Its clean and well presented, staff are friendly and its not THAT expensive.

The easy hotel rates will be FROM 99AED, according to the banner, but that may mean top 'n' tailing with the cleaning guy for that money, who knows!

typical Sep 5th 2010 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 8826941)
The easy hotel rates will be FROM 99AED, according to the banner, but that may mean top 'n' tailing with the cleaning guy for that money, who knows!

For that you'll get a bed. Nothing else. But it'll be comfortable and you'll be within spitting distance of everything JAFZA has to offer. Erm.

The remote control for the TV will be extra... (it costs a fiver extra in the London hotels)

Millhouse Sep 5th 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8827222)
For that you'll get a bed. Nothing else. But it'll be comfortable and you'll be within spitting distance of everything JAFZA has to offer. Erm.

The remote control for the TV will be extra... (it costs a fiver extra in the London hotels)

do you need the remote in these rooms? Aren't they so small you can just reach?

typical Sep 5th 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8827236)
do you need the remote in these rooms? Aren't they so small you can just reach?

They disable the buttons on the TVs. :sneaky:

Millhouse Sep 5th 2010 9:52 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8827243)
They disable the buttons on the TVs. :sneaky:

if you are staying in them frequently you need to get one of those TV remote watches.

Madam Medusa Sep 5th 2010 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8827222)

hell, is that for real...?

MM, xx

norsk Sep 5th 2010 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8827513)
hell, is that for real...?

MM, xx

sounds ridiculous, but it wouldn't surprise me. wasn't it ryanair who wanted to charge people to use the toilet on their planes? (or was it perhaps just a pr ploy?)

there is always a limit to how cheap you can go before you start having to give up pretty key facilities (usually cleanliness and lack of junkies in hotels). obviously you could live without tv for a few days, but what if you had to put money into a meter to get the aircon going?