Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Changing Money Before Arriving in the UAE

Changing Money Before Arriving in the UAE

Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough
Default Changing Money Before Arriving in the UAE

Hi all. I will shortly be arriving in the UAE (Al-Ain) to work for a few years.

Just to make sure that things go smoothly for the first few weeks, I was thinking of bringing with me £1000 in AED http://travelfx.co.uk/index.php from this site which seems to offer the best deals before I come out.

Is this a wise thing to do? I'd rather not do too much and look for money immediately after I land...

Many thanks for your replies.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing Money Before Arriving in the UAE

Yep, that's right, we're in the middle of the desert miles away from the nearest civilisation.

Oh, wait, never mind. We are in the middle of the desert miles away from the nearest civilisation.

Just withdraw the money from an ATM and use it to open up your bank account. Credit cards and bank cards tend to have the best exchange rates.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Yep, that's right, we're in the middle of the desert miles away from the nearest civilisation.

Oh, wait, never mind. We are in the middle of the desert miles away from the nearest civilisation.

Just withdraw the money from an ATM and use it to open up your bank account. Credit cards and bank cards tend to have the best exchange rates.
Agree. I came here with about 100Dh on me I reckon.

Just make sure that your bank allows you to use the ATM and all will be fine.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. Of course I know there's a civilisation in UAE but surely ATMs will not give a better deal than cash? Am slightly confused
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist
Thanks guys. Of course I know there's a civilisation in UAE but surely ATMs will not give a better deal than cash? Am slightly confused
ATMs tend to give a pretty reasonable deal. better than going into a travel agent in the UK with cash for sure.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough

5.63 looks like a pretty good rate from that site you are using. I am coming out in 2 weeks and have done the same just to be on the safe side as nothing is as tradeable as cash... ATM's are always fine and handy until you lose your card or some bank clerk in the uk stops your card for suspect transactions.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:03 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have a Nationwide FlexAccount, do you?

If not, consider a prepaid card like the Caxton FX one... although the Caxton FX AED/DHS exchange rate is often not very good.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lehoff
5.63 looks like a pretty good rate from that site you are using. I am coming out in 2 weeks and have done the same just to be on the safe side as nothing is as tradeable as cash... ATM's are always fine and handy until you lose your card or some bank clerk in the uk stops your card for suspect transactions.
It was 5.74 last week so bit gutted but that's my line of thinking, to avoid being stopped in a shop. Thanks anyway. have just ordered £500 so will see what it's like in terms of delivery and service...