Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Champions League Final

Champions League Final

Old May 18th 2008, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Champions League Final

Originally Posted by Meow
I think we are going to The Players Lounge to watch it.

now that's a good place to see it! Spugsy go there, the Chelsea Hotel
Old May 18th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Memo to Mr.Arbroath Abroad...please read this carefully!

Memo to Mr Lionheart

dont be so patronising, i am very very aware of the traditions of Semtex Football Club

Yes, the Utd / Celtic connection is longstanding, relating to the Roman Catholic origins and connections of both clubs.
really i wasnt aware of that,(honest guv) along with their Rangers Manager
Old May 18th 2008, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
barasti is miles away from where, where's underground?
The Underground is at the Habtoor Grand - about as far from Mirdif as you can imagine BUT..........

........ it's a Liverpool pub which wouldn't normally tempt me (nor you I imagine) but I watched a Man Utd-Chelsea game there a couple of years ago and the Man Utd-hating (and Chelsea-hating) scousers were in VERY good humour indeed..........

Don't wear your Toon shirt though........ and don't go if you are a sensitive little soul who is easily offended by naughty words.......

But what makes you think it will be a "cracking" game? I'm expecting a dour cautious 0-0 (after 90m) with an e-t winner or even pens to settle it........
Old May 18th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad

really i wasnt aware of that,(honest guv) along with their Rangers Manager
Well it's not an absolute, but the tradition has always been there - the club sprang from the railway works at Newton Heath, many Irish immigrants were employed there. Manchester Celtic was originally going to be the name of the club, but United was adopted instead. Matt Busby was a staunch Catholic, and the scouting network was historically especially strong in Ireland.

There is definitely an affinity with Celtic. The only other club Utd nod at is West Ham. Not exactly sure why that is though, maybe their style of football - but definitely another 'tradition.'

AA - regarding SuperSport, they do excellent coverage of Le Tour, especially as in recent years Robbie Hunter has been riding. With a Phil Liggett / Paul Sherwen commentary thrown in for good measure - always enjoyable.
Old May 18th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Well it's not an absolute, but the tradition has always been there - the club sprang from the railway works at Newton Heath, many Irish immigrants were employed there. Manchester Celtic was originally going to be the name of the club, but United was adopted instead. Matt Busby was a staunch Catholic, and the scouting network was historically especially strong in Ireland.

There is definitely an affinity with Celtic. The only other club Utd nod at is West Ham. Not exactly sure why that is though, maybe their style of football - but definitely another 'tradition.'

AA - regarding SuperSport, they do excellent coverage of Le Tour, especially as in recent years Robbie Hunter has been riding. With a Phil Liggett / Paul Sherwen commentary thrown in for good measure - always enjoyable.
I confirm, Celtic have always got a good reception at OT. Rangers on the other hand was quite the opposite - even before Wednesday night.

Hammers are a funny one - atmosphere at OT was strange but I think its because their fans are amongst the funniest. Even when they were getting nailed a few weeks ago they made light of it - and the respect shown for Tevez after he rifled that shot in was amazing.
Old May 18th 2008, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

here is definitely an affinity with Celtic. The only other club Utd nod at is West Ham. Not exactly sure why that is though, maybe their style of football - but definitely another 'tradition.'
Maybe it originated in that old Alf Garnett show on TV where he supported West Ham with a passion, whereas his son-in-law supported Liverpool, the team that Man Utd hate even more than City...what was it called...was it Till Death Us Do Part?
Old May 18th 2008, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Someone mentioned to me that Double Deckers - Al Murooj Rotana, Trade Centre 2 - was a Man Utd hangout.

Yes, the Utd / Celtic connection is longstanding, relating to the Roman Catholic origins and connections of both clubs.

Will probably just go someplace in Bur Dubai - walking distance for me, not bothered on the loyalties of the other fans there.
Double Deckers and Harvesters (Crowne Plaza) are both United bars.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

myac83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Yep Harvester for me for the final. Watched the semi against barca there and it was great. we sang our hearts out and coloured the place red.

It won't be a bore hopefully. Common we so desperately need a third one so good old Alex can finally retire in the sun with his mrs.
Old May 19th 2008, 3:20 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
barasti is miles away from where, where's underground?
Further away from you than Barasti.....
Old May 19th 2008, 3:40 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Full of United fans.....???...must be like a meeting of the United Nations, when the UK have abstained from the vote !.

Not sure which team I hate more......I can only hope the fans clash in mass riots before and during the game, meaning the game is abandoned, and both clubs are thrown out of Europe for 5 years.....
Old May 19th 2008, 4:00 am
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=CeeBee;6365843]I confirm, Celtic have always got a good reception at OT. Rangers on the other hand was quite the opposite - even before Wednesday night.

Hammers are a funny one - atmosphere at OT was strange but I think its because their fans are amongst the funniest. Even when they were getting nailed a few weeks ago they made light of it - and the respect shown for Tevez after he rifled that shot in was amazing.[/QUOTE] Thats because we follow our team through thick...... and quite a lot of thin...we're not glory hunters, we're not just following a team because its fashionable, because they are winning, and in the words of the song which can be directed at the likes of Chelsea fans...."Where were you when you were shit ?

As for Tevez, he is respcted by the West Ham fans, because of the effort he put in over one season, arguably saved us from relegation, and he took the club to his heart

The reception he got at Upton Park this season was one I wll never forget, when he stood in the centre circle and crossed his arms above his head to all four sides of the ground ......he may wear the Man U shirt, but as his apologetic arm raised when he scored that wonder goal against us at OT few weeks ago showed .....he's a Hammer !
Old May 19th 2008, 6:03 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
The Underground is at the Habtoor Grand - about as far from Mirdif as you can imagine BUT..........

........ it's a Liverpool pub which wouldn't normally tempt me (nor you I imagine) but I watched a Man Utd-Chelsea game there a couple of years ago and the Man Utd-hating (and Chelsea-hating) scousers were in VERY good humour indeed..........

Don't wear your Toon shirt though........ and don't go if you are a sensitive little soul who is easily offended by naughty words.......

But what makes you think it will be a "cracking" game? I'm expecting a dour cautious 0-0 (after 90m) with an e-t winner or even pens to settle it........
I'm not offended easily and wasnt planning on wearing my toon top to be honest...
Old May 20th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BangleMan
Thats because we follow our team through thick...... and quite a lot of thin...we're not glory hunters, we're not just following a team because its fashionable, because they are winning,
In fairness, the same can be said for a lot of Utd fans ..... it's a way of life. Utd always had good attendances, even during the lean 70's and 80's.

I remember the Brighton cup final a few years back now. The TV presenter live from Brighton was saying how the town was all a buzz, everyone discussing tactics and who would be in the team. Back in the studio, Bobby Charlton made the astute comment, 'Yes...but it's like that in Manchester every day.'
Old May 20th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

There is definitely an affinity with Celtic.
Cheers, i am aware of this, its just Semtex seem to have an 'affility' with everyone. Their 'love me please' and 'professional victims' persona is a tad irritating, And isnt it ironic given ra celtics favourite sons once killed and maimed innocent mancunians...I could give many more examples...

You couldnt make it up....

AA - regarding SuperSport, they do excellent coverage of Le Tour, especially as in recent years Robbie Hunter has been riding. With a Phil Liggett / Paul Sherwen commentary thrown in for good measure - always enjoyable
Thanks again, Is supersports only shown on the SA sattelite? if so we cant get it. So i have had to get snippets from the Gyro from Eurosport News (crap) and my Cycling Weekly that is delivered.
Old May 20th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't know if SuperSport is legally available here in the ME. Technically, it is possible to receive it, as I know of certain bars in Bahrain where they show the channel. Here in DXB not so sure. I used to watch it when I was in Africa, excellent coverage of all sports on up to 7 different channels.

The French international channel, TV5, will also have full coverage of the tour - but (unsurprisingly) French commentary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.