Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cars in UAE- not that cheap

Cars in UAE- not that cheap

Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Paul Eric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cars in UAE- not that cheap

I read many posts saying cars in UAE are cheaper than UK, so I started to look at UAE classifieds ( out of curiosity ) to find out that cars are not really that cheap in UAE.

What do you think? Why is everybody saying cars are cheaper in UAE?

The second hand cars market in the UK has the lowest prices in the world at the moment in my opinion.

Just a few examples: Porsche Cayenne- 15-16K, Touareg 10-12K, BMW 7 series - 10k-12K !! or on the luxury segment - Bentley Continental GT - 40-50K, Ferrari 360 Modena 30-35k.

For what I've seen so far, price are almost double in the UAE? Did I look in the wrong place?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:17 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars in UAE- not that cheap

Originally Posted by Paul Eric
For what I've seen so far, price are almost double in the UAE? Did I look in the wrong place?
Yep - take a trip to the car park at Dubai Airport and you'll pick up a car for free.

Are you converting prices to sterling? Bear in mind the exchange rate has changed significantly in the past 6 months.

Last I heard was a new 3 door Prado was going for 108,000 which seemed ok.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:17 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

No your right, used cars are not cheap at all here, I mean even down the lower end of the scale, you can get a Lexus LS400 (1997-98 model) in the UK for under 2 Grand back home, here they want more than double that.

I think it's the new cars that are supposed to be cheaper, but used cars are well expensive, they seem to think these older cars are worth more than they really are.

You can't sell a car over 10 years old here either, I think that might have something to do with it, but you would have thought that the 8-10yr old cars would be dirt cheap in that case?

Bison
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my Pajero SWB brand new two years ago, for 84k. Same car in the UK at that time was 34,000 quid.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

The OP is correct. Used car sellers seem to hold out for near new prices.

New cars are for the most part not that cheap. Hatchbacks and basic sedans are maybe a touch cheaper than some places in the west. 4wds are comparable to australia that gives them favorable tax treatment.

300000dh range cars are cheap but good luck selling one in that little market ... esp with the accelerated aging cars suffer there.

Petrol is cheap but its also almost 50% cheaper than last year in aus at least.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mantronic
The OP is correct. Used car sellers seem to hold out for near new prices.

New cars are for the most part not that cheap. Hatchbacks and basic sedans are maybe a touch cheaper than some places in the west. 4wds are comparable to australia that gives them favorable tax treatment.

300000dh range cars are cheap but good luck selling one in that little market ... esp with the accelerated aging cars suffer there.

Petrol is cheap but its also almost 50% cheaper than last year in aus at least.
so when did you get here and check out our garages?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

In light of this conversation, anyone want to buy a 2008 V6 Toyota Fortuner for 100 000? Only 6000 kms. Perfect condition.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:21 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
In light of this conversation, anyone want to buy a 2008 V6 Toyota Fortuner for 100 000? Only 6000 kms. Perfect condition.
sounds good, what colour and what did you pay for it?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
sounds good, what colour and what did you pay for it?
Gold. It looks quite nice even though it wasn't my first choice of colour. I paid 103 000 for it but I must sell it at the same price owing to the bank.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:38 am
W10

Anyone want to buy my car? :-)

Cars used to be cheap here, but not any more. They all jumped on the gravy train at the wrong time and hiked their prices enormously, just as the economy started collapsing.

Eg: BMW hiked the price of a 335 coupe by around 10,000 pounds late last year

Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:01 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
Anyone want to buy my car? :-)

Cars used to be cheap here, but not any more. They all jumped on the gravy train at the wrong time and hiked their prices enormously, just as the economy started collapsing.

Eg: BMW hiked the price of a 335 coupe by around 10,000 pounds late last year
you still got that red thing with the horse on the front?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:02 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Gold. It looks quite nice even though it wasn't my first choice of colour. I paid 103 000 for it but I must sell it at the same price owing to the bank.
they are nice in the gold, it will sell. Stick it on expatwoman, their classifieds section. We will be looking for something soon but I have a friend who is leaving so I am guessing we will help her out
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:05 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Yep - take a trip to the car park at Dubai Airport and you'll pick up a car for free.
Look up past auction prices for cars abandoned at the airport at this site (quite cheap):

http://www.goldenbellauctions.com/default.htm
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

New cars are much cheaper here than in the UK...it's no contest.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:45 pm
W10

Originally Posted by lionheart
New cars are much cheaper here than in the UK...it's no contest.
Not really. It depends on which dealerships. And which kind of cars. The exchange rate, coupled with greed has affected some prices a lot...

Eg: The new Ford Focus Sport is dh75,000.

A BMW 335 coupe is Dh270,000 (which on current exchange rate is almost 50,000 pounds). BTW, this car was Dh220,000 or so in 2008.

The Mini Cooper S is Dh145,000 (26,000 pounds)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.