Reload this Page >

Cargo - Moving household stuff - Any tips

Cargo - Moving household stuff - Any tips

Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

deepug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cargo - Moving household stuff - Any tips

Hi folks
I am relocating with family, from UK to Dubai and considering various options re moving household stuff. I am arranging for quotes from the following players:
- Interdean
- Bournes
- Pickfords
- Crown

Has anyone dealt with any of these players? How has the experience of people been - to move household items from UK vs. buying them locally in Dubai.
I have a small relocation allowance support provided by my new employer, but that will all be spent on the cargo (shared container).

Any tips and ideas are eagerly (and urgently) sought..

Thanks
Dee
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cargo - Moving household stuff - Any tips

If you need to buy sh*t here...Dubizzle.com is your friend
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

relocatee is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend relocated to Dubai a few months ago. I remember him saying that taking his furniture with him was enormous mistake. It turned out that shipping charges were almost equal to extra fee that was required to get full furnished flat. It also turned out that some of the pieces which he brought with him were not going good with internal design of his new flat.

I hope it helps.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by deepug
Hi folks
I am relocating with family, from UK to Dubai and considering various options re moving household stuff. I am arranging for quotes from the following players:
- Interdean
- Bournes
- Pickfords
- Crown

Has anyone dealt with any of these players? How has the experience of people been - to move household items from UK vs. buying them locally in Dubai.
I have a small relocation allowance support provided by my new employer, but that will all be spent on the cargo (shared container).

Any tips and ideas are eagerly (and urgently) sought..

Thanks
Dee
We used Bournes to Bahrain service the at either end was first rate, although of course they use an agent at destination and it will no doubt be the same in Dubai - highly recommended if you go down the route of bringing your stuff with you.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:04 am
Banned

Brinkley25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. Thanks for posting such informative content. It is extremely helpful for me.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brinkley25
I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. Thanks for posting such informative content. It is extremely helpful for me.
... and I thought Mike was boring.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:21 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
... and I thought Mike was boring.
Outside!! NOW!!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Crown were very good for us. Not the cheapest, but they did reduce their initial quotation by a fair bit when I told them they were too expensive. Did a very good job - I've moved house 10 times (5 times internationally), and they were as good as any, and better than most.

About what to bring... do you have lots of special things you must keep with you? Antique or rare furniture? Where would you store your possessions if you don't bring them? How long will you be in the UAE for? All this impacts upon what you decide to do. We brought everything, as we don't have a home in the UK and lots of stuff we wanted to keep with us (and storage seemed to be horrendously expensive). But others have bought here quite happily.