British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Car Renting - Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/car-renting-abu-dhabi-542102/)

mais91 Jun 9th 2008 7:06 pm

Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Hi guys

I will need to rent a car on arrival in AD at the end of this month - dont need anything flash just something that will get me around/lost - will have to drive to Dubai once a week though!

I am assuming there are a few hire companies at the airport - any recommendations? Any idea on cost for an average family sized car - if I want to rent a car for 3 months how much do I have to pay up front? Any hidden extras? I dont have a credit card so will be paying cash which I assume will be ok?

All advice and comments gratefully received.

Cheers :thumbup:

Eeyore Jun 9th 2008 7:11 pm

Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by mais91 (Post 6450365)
I dont have a credit card so will be paying cash which I assume will be ok?

Don't assume anything - find out for certain before you arrive. Many car hire companies in other countries will refuse to rent to anyone who does not have a credit card.

mais91 Jun 9th 2008 7:46 pm

Looks like Budget Rent a Car take cash deposits - and I should be able to rent a medium sized car for around 2,500 AED a month which is not too bad

Answered my own question - will do more research in the future!! ;)

Grace O Malley Jun 10th 2008 7:19 am

Originally Posted by mais91 (Post 6450509)
Looks like Budget Rent a Car take cash deposits - and I should be able to rent a medium sized car for around 2,500 AED a month which is not too bad

Answered my own question - will do more research in the future!! ;)

thrifty are ok and so are fast rent a car

Saj786 Jun 10th 2008 7:42 am

As far as i Know, you will also require an International Drivers Permit (IDP) that you can usually get from a Post Office and costs about a tenner and valid for 12 months

weescot Jun 10th 2008 9:59 am

I used fast car on airport road. They are good and competitive.

Blue Cat Jun 10th 2008 10:02 am

www.holidayautos.ae

Saj786 Jun 10th 2008 1:00 pm

I've also found www.travelsupermarket.co.uk really useful and cheap. I managed to get a small car from DXB airport for a week for less than £70 (through National i think)

Antonio Netto Jun 30th 2008 6:06 am

Originally Posted by mais91 (Post 6450365)
Hi guys

I will need to rent a car on arrival in AD at the end of this month - dont need anything flash just something that will get me around/lost - will have to drive to Dubai once a week though!

I am assuming there are a few hire companies at the airport - any recommendations? Any idea on cost for an average family sized car - if I want to rent a car for 3 months how much do I have to pay up front? Any hidden extras? I dont have a credit card so will be paying cash which I assume will be ok?

All advice and comments gratefully received.

Cheers :thumbup:

I just rented a car from Budget at the airport and it's costing me AED 1,600 per month will full insurance cover for myself and my wife. Not bad! It's not the best car out there but it gets me around. Toyota Yaris 2006, I think. They don't take cash though, and I suppose you would be safer paying by cc anyway...

Saj786 Jul 1st 2008 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio Netto (Post 6517728)
I just rented a car from Budget at the airport and it's costing me AED 1,600 per month will full insurance cover for myself and my wife. Not bad! It's not the best car out there but it gets me around. Toyota Yaris 2006, I think. They don't take cash though, and I suppose you would be safer paying by cc anyway...

Hi Antonio - good to hear that you can get something for around the 1600 aed level. did you have to arrange this with budget before-hand? what documents did you require?

Antonio Netto Jul 1st 2008 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Saj786 (Post 6522615)
Hi Antonio - good to hear that you can get something for around the 1600 aed level. did you have to arrange this with budget before-hand? what documents did you require?

I googled their number and it seems they only have an office in dubai airport but they drive the car over to AD for you to collect. you need your drivers licence, passport and credit card. they will block the amount on your cc and you can pay cash at the end if you want... pretty standard procedure!