Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:06 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 37
mais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nice
Default Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Hi guys

I will need to rent a car on arrival in AD at the end of this month - dont need anything flash just something that will get me around/lost - will have to drive to Dubai once a week though!

I am assuming there are a few hire companies at the airport - any recommendations? Any idea on cost for an average family sized car - if I want to rent a car for 3 months how much do I have to pay up front? Any hidden extras? I dont have a credit card so will be paying cash which I assume will be ok?

All advice and comments gratefully received.

Cheers
mais91 is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:11 pm
  #2  
Soupy twist
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,270
Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by mais91 View Post
I dont have a credit card so will be paying cash which I assume will be ok?
Don't assume anything - find out for certain before you arrive. Many car hire companies in other countries will refuse to rent to anyone who does not have a credit card.
Eeyore is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:46 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 37
mais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nicemais91 is just really nice
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Looks like Budget Rent a Car take cash deposits - and I should be able to rent a medium sized car for around 2,500 AED a month which is not too bad

Answered my own question - will do more research in the future!!
mais91 is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:19 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Grace O Malley's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Khaladiya Abu Dhabi
Posts: 4,181
Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by mais91 View Post
Looks like Budget Rent a Car take cash deposits - and I should be able to rent a medium sized car for around 2,500 AED a month which is not too bad

Answered my own question - will do more research in the future!!
thrifty are ok and so are fast rent a car
Grace O Malley is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:42 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 103
Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

As far as i Know, you will also require an International Drivers Permit (IDP) that you can usually get from a Post Office and costs about a tenner and valid for 12 months
Saj786 is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:59 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
weescot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
Posts: 887
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

I used fast car on airport road. They are good and competitive.
weescot is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:02 am
  #7  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

www.holidayautos.ae
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:00 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 103
Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

I've also found www.travelsupermarket.co.uk really useful and cheap. I managed to get a small car from DXB airport for a week for less than £70 (through National i think)
Saj786 is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:06 am
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi - Khalifa City A
Posts: 6
Antonio Netto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by mais91 View Post
Hi guys

I will need to rent a car on arrival in AD at the end of this month - dont need anything flash just something that will get me around/lost - will have to drive to Dubai once a week though!

I am assuming there are a few hire companies at the airport - any recommendations? Any idea on cost for an average family sized car - if I want to rent a car for 3 months how much do I have to pay up front? Any hidden extras? I dont have a credit card so will be paying cash which I assume will be ok?

All advice and comments gratefully received.

Cheers
I just rented a car from Budget at the airport and it's costing me AED 1,600 per month will full insurance cover for myself and my wife. Not bad! It's not the best car out there but it gets me around. Toyota Yaris 2006, I think. They don't take cash though, and I suppose you would be safer paying by cc anyway...
Antonio Netto is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:13 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 103
Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Antonio Netto View Post
I just rented a car from Budget at the airport and it's costing me AED 1,600 per month will full insurance cover for myself and my wife. Not bad! It's not the best car out there but it gets me around. Toyota Yaris 2006, I think. They don't take cash though, and I suppose you would be safer paying by cc anyway...
Hi Antonio - good to hear that you can get something for around the 1600 aed level. did you have to arrange this with budget before-hand? what documents did you require?
Saj786 is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:30 pm
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi - Khalifa City A
Posts: 6
Antonio Netto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Renting - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Saj786 View Post
Hi Antonio - good to hear that you can get something for around the 1600 aed level. did you have to arrange this with budget before-hand? what documents did you require?
I googled their number and it seems they only have an office in dubai airport but they drive the car over to AD for you to collect. you need your drivers licence, passport and credit card. they will block the amount on your cc and you can pay cash at the end if you want... pretty standard procedure!
Antonio Netto is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.