Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Car depreciation in Saudi

Car depreciation in Saudi

Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car depreciation in Saudi

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Dunno what the Saudi obsession with Crown Vics and other barge like yank cars is.

Loads of them on the roads. You half expect them to start hopping and jumping Snoop Dog style at the lights.
Have you driven one ? Big lazy V8 capable of space ship type mileages, super quiet inside, ladder chassis so able to take a good smash, 2 bench seats, column change, huge boot for "chicken sausages" or bodies to be buried in the sand.

Awesome car, the ME got the last of the Mercury grand marquis and Crownies produced. Love em to death, sadly not available at your UAE Ford dealer and the UAE was the first bit of the GCC to stop importing them instead trying to flog that awful barge the 500

Only reason I know this because I wanted to buy one in 2008 when I landed in AD and Ford said No. They were still flogged in Bahrain in 2011
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
So you didn't really answer the question... I would also rather be in a 4x4 when involved in an accident with a truck. More metal and airbags around me.

I was in a 4x4 that rear ended a saloon car here. Thankfully there was no one in the back as we mashed the back of their car. Our 4x4 wasn't that badly damaged as we effectively drove over the other car.

This is the problem: I'm not a huge 4x4 fan in the urban environment, but when 50% of the cars are 4x4s, and 80% of them are driven by morons, I would rather join the arms race than be a victim of it.
Copy that. Ford Expedition, only mildly useful off road but ladder chassis, full side air bags and massive weight = better off in a shunt whichever way you look at it
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Copy that. Ford Expedition, only mildly useful off road but ladder chassis, full side air bags and massive weight = better off in a shunt whichever way you look at it
I agree, great in a shunt, but better hope you don't roll it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFsmsGPDVc
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason I know this because I wanted to buy one in 2008 when I landed in AD and Ford said No. They were still flogged in Bahrain in 2011
I remember driving past Premier Motors service centre in Mussaffah and seeing loads of new Crown Vics lined up. It was as if someone at Premier had ordered a load but decided they wouldn't sell. Deadstock if you like

I'd quite like a Lincoln Town Car and a gun
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by saudiflares
I remember driving past Premier Motors service centre in Mussaffah and seeing loads of new Crown Vics lined up. It was as if someone at Premier had ordered a load but decided they wouldn't sell. Deadstock if you like

I'd quite like a Lincoln Town Car and a gun
Are you sure they weren't recovered abandoned vehicles from the great run for home rush of 2009 ?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
I agree, great in a shunt, but better hope you don't roll it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFsmsGPDVc
LPO finally raised for my Expedition yay. Come next Thursday I will be safe

I can barely see out of the window of my dusty Honda hire car. Couldn't bring myself to spend the dirhams on getting it washed

I found my last Expy went around corners like it was on rails by the way and far more stable than my company Prado will rolled around. Neither felt like it was going to roll over, just a big lean angle on the Prado
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Even though that's a first generation Expy I think it survived pretty well rolling over actually
Good lesson in why to wear a seat belt all the same
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

And check out this video about what happens when a 4X4 hits a saloon car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_548slF6M

Expy has full curtain side airbags so my arm should still be hanging on.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure they weren't recovered abandoned vehicles from the great run for home rush of 2009 ?
Yep they were all brand spankers with the bar code stickers that wouldn't get removed if the owners had their way. All silver too with a coat of dust. 10s of the. May have been a corporate order
Old Aug 1st 2013, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

And check out this video about what happens when a 4X4 hits a saloon car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_548slF6M

Expy has full curtain side airbags so my arm should still be hanging on.
Seems an unfair experiment -you've got the hard metal of the engine block of the 4x4 ramming into the soft side of the Civic. I would like to see the reverse where they ram the front of a Civic into the side of a 4x4.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by csdf
Seems an unfair experiment -you've got the hard metal of the engine block of the 4x4 ramming into the soft side of the Civic. I would like to see the reverse where they ram the front of a Civic into the side of a 4x4.
The bonnet will get stuck under my running boards and then an annoying bump as the rear wheels ride over the top of it. Could spill my café latte in the cup holder. How bloody annoying would that be ?
Still the yanks have thought of everything and the coffee will wipe of my leather seats without staining
Old Aug 4th 2013, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

A Ford would be close to the last make of car that I would ever buy.

Utter tripe the lot of em!