Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can you live comfortably on 12,000 UAE dr a month? Help Bee please!

Can you live comfortably on 12,000 UAE dr a month? Help Bee please!

Old May 17th 2010, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

BritBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you live comfortably on 12,000 UAE dr a month? Help Bee please!

Hi all,
I'm a journalist and have recently been offered a job in Dubai's media city which I'm all set to accept. Then the reality of living expenses dawned on me...! The salary I've been offered is 12,000 UAE dirhams a month, that's 144,000 a year. Now in the UK that's a good tax free salary ta very much (I'm in London at the mo and opportunities are scarce) but I've heard that Dubai is an expensive city so I want to live comfortably. What are your thoughts guys, is this achievable? Really appreciate some swift comments.
I should say that I'm single and only have myself to pay for. I will flat/house share too rather than live alone
Old May 17th 2010, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

expatwanabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you live comfortably on 12,000 UAE dr a month? Help Bee please!

Got 2b a big fat no, its not a lot of money to exist in Dubai.

Nothing left I would imagine to enjoy life in a fab location, not to mention any savings or a pension................
Old May 17th 2010, 9:21 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatwanabe

Nothing left I would imagine to enjoy life in a fab location, not to mention any savings or a pension................
why is it a no? flat share on the palm for 5k per month? if OP is 23 they don't care about pension quite yet....

on a related, but separate note - I'm getting tired of this bored's attitude on life, starting to feel there is no life or fun left in any of you....

OP - sorry to ask, but how old, what do you want to get / achieve here?
Old May 17th 2010, 10:35 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I think it also depends what you intend to spend your money on while you're here - it all helps to get some perspective. Also, yes, 12k AED isn't a huge amount in comparison to some ME salaries, but it's far better than a kick in the teeth. As with anything, be realistic about what you're embarking on - and regardless of how generous the pay may (or may not) be, don't get into debt moving out here.

As with anything, you cut your coat according to your cloth. Save in certain areas so that you can spend more in others.
Old May 18th 2010, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

12,000 is a perfectly livable salary for the media city end of town if you're single and not living some expat fantasy, but you won't save any money.

you'll be able to pick up a decent JBR/Marina flat share for about 5000 AED. 7000 AED is plenty of cash to live on if you're not going to spend every night in the pub. I live a reasonably dissolute life on 6-7000 a month

Run a car and it'll cost more, but you don't need to if you live near Media City, using taxis and hiring a car for one off's is cheaper.

What you won't have is lot of cash for flights home and holidays unless you spend less on other things. you should be getting one annual flight home paid for.

An edited but. Getting set up out here can be expensive - if you're in a fully kitted out flat it's not so bad, but if you're not the first few months are going to be very tight on the spending money.

In summary, you can do it, but it'll be pretty marginal. Ideally you need to get is upto 14-15k.

Last edited by Cypselos; May 18th 2010 at 7:02 am.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
why is it a no? flat share on the palm for 5k per month? if OP is 23 they don't care about pension quite yet....

on a related, but separate note - I'm getting tired of this bored's attitude on life, starting to feel there is no life or fun left in any of you....

OP - sorry to ask, but how old, what do you want to get / achieve here?
I'm waiting for the 'I wouldn't live here unless my employer pays for everything for me' killjoys to pop up...

-
Old May 18th 2010, 9:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I live a bachelor life in Abu Dhabi. If I were to exclude all my expenses in the UK (my family is still there), then I spend considerably less that AED 8k per month and I have a fair amount of fun. I don't think you'd be able to save anything and you'd probably forego any pension contributions which a UK employer would make, but if you're up for something different then you should be able to do it.
Old May 18th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I live a bachelor life in Abu Dhabi. If I were to exclude all my expenses in the UK (my family is still there), then I spend considerably less that AED 8k per month and I have a fair amount of fun. I don't think you'd be able to save anything and you'd probably forego any pension contributions which a UK employer would make, but if you're up for something different then you should be able to do it.
and there's always end of service benefit to take into consideration

you accrue something like 21 days extra salary per year, 30 days above 5 yrs
Old May 18th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
you accrue something like 21 days extra salary per year, 30 days above 5 yrs
question on the end of service thing. 21 working days (21/260 Approx), or 21 days (21/365)?
Old May 18th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

i get 7 days for each years service in Media City?
Old May 18th 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatwanabe

i gotta agree....AED 12k is only GBP 2k per month....living accomodations alone will take a big chunk out of this, and then you got car hire and all the other day to day living costs.

I guess it could be done, but i highly doubt you'll save anything.
Old May 18th 2010, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
question on the end of service thing. 21 working days (21/260 Approx), or 21 days (21/365)?
In Abu Dhabi think it is 21/365 - labour law should spell it out though
you may not get any if you don't complete a certain time.

it goes up from 21 to 30 days once employee been with company for 5 years. not sure if the 30/365 applies to years 1 to 5 too or just year 6 onwards

i.e.

say 100k per year and you leave after yr 6

Scenario 1
year 1-5 you get (5*21/365 + 1*30/365)*100k = 36.9k

or

Scenario 2
(6*30/365)*100k = 49.3k
Old May 18th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

i thought the labour law on End Of Service Benefit is 3 weeks pay for every year you complete.

That's what our auditors KPMG advised us.
Old May 18th 2010, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

There's a break down on the Al Tamimi website that suggests in Dubai at least it's partially dependent on length of service adn whether you resign or they push you for soem reason. If you resign you get 7 days for each year if you've served less than 3 years, 14 days for each year up to 5 years, and 21 days after 5 years service.

However, according to my company within Media city it's a flat 7 days for each year served. They're legit about everything else, so i suspect this is standard within this freezone?
Old May 18th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cypselos
There's a break down on the Al Tamimi website that suggests in Dubai at least it's partially dependent on length of service adn whether you resign or they push you for soem reason. If you resign you get 7 days for each year if you've served less than 3 years, 14 days for each year up to 5 years, and 21 days after 5 years service.

However, according to my company within Media city it's a flat 7 days for each year served. They're legit about everything else, so i suspect this is standard within this freezone?
i would beg to differ...my company is also in the freezone and KPMG advised of the policy...it's actually the same in Qatar as well, since we have a company out there too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.