Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can you buy discount airfares in Dubai?

Can you buy discount airfares in Dubai?

Old Dec 20th 2004, 4:03 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you buy discount airfares in Dubai?

What's the situation in Dubai in respect of buying discount airfares?

If we move there we'd like to do more travelling round Asia (we'd be 7 hours nearer than we are now!) - can discount airfares be obtained from reputable companies as easily in Dubai as they can in the UK? Are there Arabian equivalents of companies like Trailfinders?

I've tried doing some web searches on the subject, but all I can find are the online booking sites of Dubai-based airlines like Emirates, and of course they charge full whack.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 5:06 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you buy discount airfares in Dubai?

Originally Posted by GarethR

If we move there we'd like to do more travelling round Asia (we'd be 7 hours nearer than we are now!) - can discount airfares be obtained from reputable companies as easily in Dubai as they can in the UK? Are there Arabian equivalents of companies like Trailfinders?

I've tried doing some web searches on the subject, but all I can find are the online booking sites of Dubai-based airlines like Emirates, and of course they charge full whack.
No....there are offers but nothing u can depend on.

However all is not lost. If u are returning to the UK a couple of x a year get return flights from the Uk....

i.e. an open return from uk to the Maldives is about 50 GBP more than a return to Dubai. Thes etickets allow indefinite stop overs in Dubai and so u can take a hol to the Maldives for nought.

very cost effective.

returns to teh Uk from Dubai are more expenisve....

have played around with this for a few yrs. IKf u need more info drop us a line...

TS
Old Dec 20th 2004, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
No....there are offers but nothing u can depend on.

However all is not lost. If u are returning to the UK a couple of x a year get return flights from the Uk....

i.e. an open return from uk to the Maldives is about 50 GBP more than a return to Dubai. Thes etickets allow indefinite stop overs in Dubai and so u can take a hol to the Maldives for nought.

very cost effective.

returns to teh Uk from Dubai are more expenisve....

have played around with this for a few yrs. IKf u need more info drop us a line...

TS

Could you let us know about that too....have always just booked via EK/BA DXB-LON-DXB normally but this sounds quite interesting!!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 3:43 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Could you let us know about that too....have always just booked via EK/BA DXB-LON-DXB normally but this sounds quite interesting!!
Okeydokey,

Morning S

Emirates, BA and KLM all do these tickets from the UK to the far east with indefinite stopovers in Dubai whilst travelling in either direction. They are slightly more expensive than the normal uk/dxb return, but only a little. It means that you fly off on yr hols for almost nothing.

This only works with the UK as point of origin.

Hope this helps

TS
Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:09 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Another way of doing it is by purchasing a ticket to Bangkok form Dubai and once you're in BKK (or in advance) pick up your ongoing journey ticket. BKK services pretty much any airport in Asia and has a high turnover so tickets are cheap. This works better when you have more time and/or are going further.
Basically you are stuck with the high costs of being based in Dubai- something I get here in Hong Kong too. When I was in Dubai I wanted to put my folks up in the Burj, but it was cheaper for them to book 5 days in Dubai with 3 nights in Jumeirah Beach with a bonus night in the Burj, including flights, than it was for me to book one night in the Burj as a walk-in. Where's the logic?
Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:37 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

interestingly, if I purchase my ticket in dubai at the Dnata building for a R/T flight DXB-FRA-IAD (Wash-Dulles), it is about USD 1000 (3400 dhs) cheaper than buying it

1) In the US
2) Through the internet

This is because if I buy it here I am not subject to any US or European Taxes, or so it was explained by the agent at Dnata. This is for Lufthansa / United flights.

My boss from the US told me about this, and I was skeptical. But I searched and found the flight i wanted online, and it quoted me 16000 dhs, then I went to the Dnata building and got the same exact flights for 12600.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 4:54 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi GarethR.

I dont know much about discount airfares in Dubai, but wot u cud do is join an air-miles program that will allow u 2 redeem ur miles once u have accumulated a decent amount in return for price reductions to most parts of the world.

Emirates has a fantastic program - Skywards. You can find out more about it thru:www.skywards.com

Thats my 2 fils worth.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Okeydokey,

Morning S

Emirates, BA and KLM all do these tickets from the UK to the far east with indefinite stopovers in Dubai whilst travelling in either direction. They are slightly more expensive than the normal uk/dxb return, but only a little. It means that you fly off on yr hols for almost nothing.

This only works with the UK as point of origin.

Hope this helps

TS
I think I understand. We are flying back for Christmas, so if I get what your saying, I should be able to buy an open-return from the UK, use it to fly back here in the New Years, go on a "Free" holiday sometime later on and then use the same ticket to fly back in the summer?

Cheers!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:39 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

I think I understand. We are flying back for Christmas, so if I get what your saying, I should be able to buy an open-return from the UK, use it to fly back here in the New Years, go on a "Free" holiday sometime later on and then use the same ticket to fly back in the summer?

Cheers!
he does come up with some very interesting ideas, doesnt he?

Thanks 4 the tip TS.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 11:42 am
Premium Member

Cheers!
Spot on...works a treat
Old Dec 21st 2004, 11:43 am
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Face81
he does come up with some very interesting ideas, doesnt he?

Thanks 4 the tip TS.
He does sometimes....then again there's the odd crapp one...
Old Dec 21st 2004, 12:03 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, that sounds interesting... so while I'm in the UK I could buy an open return to (say) Tahiti with a stopover in Dubai, but the only travel date I would need to lock down at the time would be the one from the UK to Dubai on the first leg of the journey? I could decide at my leisure when to use the remaining legs of the ticket?
Old Dec 21st 2004, 12:08 pm
Premium Member

Cool, that sounds interesting... so while I'm in the UK I could buy an open return to (say) Tahiti with a stopover in Dubai, but the only travel date I would need to lock down at the time would be the one from the UK to Dubai on the first leg of the journey? I could decide at my leisure when to use the remaining legs of the ticket?
That's right
Old Dec 21st 2004, 3:10 pm
The Oracle

He does sometimes....then again there's the odd crapp one...
nah...... ur not! U have my vote matey.....for not being the crap one that is. lol
Old Dec 21st 2004, 3:29 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Face81
nah...... ur not! U have my vote matey.....for not being the crap one that is. lol
Y thank u Yoda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.