Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

can i live with my boyfriend in saudi?

can i live with my boyfriend in saudi?

Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:59 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i live with my boyfriend in saudi?

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
most don't people dream of moving to Saudi though do they?
Agreed.

Why Saudi in particular? If you want the ME why not Dubai/Bahrain/Qatar/Oman all much 'easier' options considering your requirements/circumstances.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know where Saudi is and what the lifestyle is like ? No-one dreams of going to Saudi unless you are Muslim and want to become a hajji.

N
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I was under the impression that single women weren't even allowed into the country, I wanted to go to Saudi to see the lifestyle ( as the company I work for has over 80 stores there and I'm trying to get a better idea of our customer profile), but was told that wouldn't be possible due to my single status. Is that not the case?

KC
x
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi All,

I was under the impression that single women weren't even allowed into the country, I wanted to go to Saudi to see the lifestyle ( as the company I work for has over 80 stores there and I'm trying to get a better idea of our customer profile), but was told that wouldn't be possible due to my single status. Is that not the case?

KC
x
Not impossible, but nearly impossible.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of single women in Saudi working as nurses, teachers, doctors etc. It's fine if you are in the right profession. OP will be able to find a job quite easily I would think, not sure how much mechanical engineers are in demand tho.

N
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Alfi is an unknown quantity at this point

True ... however ... if you came to Saudi as a nurse and your boyfriend came sponsored by another company and he managed to get good compound accommodation you could easily stay the night / weekend with him. Living there would push it a bit. You can travel in a car with a driver or taxi to and from the compound. Some semblance of a normal life could be achieved here but not easily. Having said that there are plenty of single women here having relationships and managing it fine.
Saudi is NOT an easy place for an unmarried couple but it is possible.

Originally Posted by Alexa
Yes, I do.
So here it is...YES and NO.
It is 100% against the law to live together if not married.
Although, on some compounds it is tolerated. BUT, you still can get into very big trouble, as in going to jail lashes and deportation.
Also, IF you were to work as a nurse in Saudi, you would live in provided accommodation, where you absolutely CAN NOT live with/entertain/receive men you are not related to.
furthermore, as you are not married, your boyfriend, IF and When he has a job in Saudi, can't sponsor you, therefore you can only enter Saudi on your own Iquama, which you can only get by getting a job there.

So, in a nutshell, in your situation, I'd say NO you can't.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

When there are so many other lovely places in the world to choose from - why go to Saudi ? Unless of course the money is extraordinarily good.

N
Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

As a PS. I also think you need to do some serious research before making such a move if you have to ask the initial question.

N
Old Nov 1st 2009, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Mariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really niceMariah_Saudi is just really nice

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi All,

KC
x
a single woman can actually enter Saudi provided she gets a visit visa from her company. my best friend comes here around 2 to 4 times a year on business trips in Riyadh, and she flies over to Jeddah on the weekends to visit me. so it is no problem.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfi
You can travel in a car with a driver or taxi to and from the compound.
Yes you can, but it's illegal and you stand a very good chance of getting nicked, jailed and deported.

Listen I did this with my girlfriend [now my wife] in Jeddah in 1994 and still had the shits about getting stopped. It happened once, but the copper with the muttawa tool one look at us [2 westerners in a big car] and waved us through.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:38 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mariah_Saudi
a single woman can actually enter Saudi provided she gets a visit visa from her company. my best friend comes here around 2 to 4 times a year on business trips in Riyadh, and she flies over to Jeddah on the weekends to visit me. so it is no problem.
The bolded part is the problem. Visa applications for younger, single women usually get refused or "lost" unless the person asking has a lot of wasta.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:24 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

People...

We appear to be assuming that this is a heterosexual couple...

So, for Saudi, its only illegal for you to share your home with a member of the opposite sex when you have no form of civil or religious marriage certificate....
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:06 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trixyk
We are thinking of moving to Saudi in January.We are both 28 year old couple living in London (from Ireland) I am a nurse and he is a Mechanical engineer.We don't mind having to live apart initially, but we want to live together within the compund-is this possible,please help!!!
Its definitely not worth the hassle. You would have to stay indoors and go out separately or risk getting caught. Try Bahrain, Qatar or the UAE.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
People...

We appear to be assuming that this is a heterosexual couple...

So, for Saudi, its only illegal for you to share your home with a member of the opposite sex when you have no form of civil or religious marriage certificate....
How amusing. So yes, Colin and Justin can make quite a career for themseleves doing up houses in 60 miniutes in Saudi no questions asked.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

kellieb is an unknown quantity at this point

I came to Saudi in 2002 as a single woman and met my now husband here. I was sponsored by a hospital here to work as a nurse - so it is no problem getting a job here as a nurse.

I used to live on the compound with my now husband and we were not married - but we did not travel anywhere together. You just have to be careful about what u say to people - if someone gets the pip with you they may very well report your living situation. But in saying that I know many many girls who live on compounds with their boyfriends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.