Reload this Page >

Buying a used car - insurance catch-22

Buying a used car - insurance catch-22

Old Jun 13th 2014, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

nodandawink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a used car - insurance catch-22

Folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before (I had a quick look and couldn't find anything), but I'm in a bit of a bind.

I'm buying a user car from a very nice Irish lady. I've had a look over it, and sent it to a garage who have given the all-clear. We've agreed to head over to the vehicle licensing place on Sunday... All good so far.

However, the seller told me that I need to have not only all of my documents (Emirates ID, driving License etc), but also that I need to have Car insurance... I've since been and tried to do this, but the insurance website won't let me complete the purchase without the transfer documentation!

So, wise folk of this forum - can anyone clear this up??

Nod.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Buying a used car - insurance catch-22

Are you in the UAE?
There's insurance companies at the vehicle registration centres so you can buy it there.
Or buy it through an agent such as GIB. Get the seller to give you a copy of the current registration card and that should be enough to proceed.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I've bought 3 second hand cars here in Abu Dhabi (you don't say where you are...). If that is where you are, and unless the rules have changed recently, you just need a photocopy or electronic scan of both sides of the car's existing registration card (the credit-card sized bit of plastic) which you show to the new insurer. They can give you the cover based on that. Both Axa and Zurich can do it that way, and no doubt others.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

Originally Posted by nodandawink
Folks,

Apologies if this has been asked before (I had a quick look and couldn't find anything), but I'm in a bit of a bind.

I'm buying a user car from a very nice Irish lady. I've had a look over it, and sent it to a garage who have given the all-clear. We've agreed to head over to the vehicle licensing place on Sunday... All good so far.

However, the seller told me that I need to have not only all of my documents (Emirates ID, driving License etc), but also that I need to have Car insurance... I've since been and tried to do this, but the insurance website won't let me complete the purchase without the transfer documentation!

So, wise folk of this forum - can anyone clear this up??

Nod.
Phone the insurance company directly. See it as a test. If they're difficult to talk to on the phone when they want your money they'll be impossible when you crash and want theym to help you.

Used cars are difficult to insure for comprehensive if more than 5 or 6 years old.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

a copy of the current registration card (in the name of the nice Irish lady at present). Explain you are buying it from them and ask them to insure it against the chassis number (incase registration number changes). Simples.

Recommend the following lassie for insurance quotes / customer service;

Jonah Jalandoni <[email protected]>
By Phone: 04-4534400
By Fax: 04-4533070