Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car from another Expat

Buying a used car from another Expat

Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

MikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the rough
Red face Buying a used car from another Expat

Hi,

Another request for advice.

Can you tell me what the process is once i find a car? How quickly can the deal be done.

I am a Dubai resident but currently living and working in Oman month to month. I want to nip up to Dubai and buy a used Discovery and bin my hire car.

Assuming that i have found a car and agreed a price what happens next and how long is it likely to take before i can drive it away as my own, and therefore "south of the border" down to Oman?

Another big ask and i appreciate i am becoming increasingly indebited to you guys on BE.

Thanks

Mike
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car from another Expat

couple of hours max, unless the car you are buying has finance on it, that will take a few days to get the clearance letter from the bank
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

MikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the roughMikeInOman is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, as ever BlueCat you are a real help

Any idea on the process? What i have to do in terms of registering and insuring it?

m

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
couple of hours max, unless the car you are buying has finance on it, that will take a few days to get the clearance letter from the bank
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeInOman
Thanks, as ever BlueCat you are a real help

Any idea on the process? What i have to do in terms of registering and insuring it?

m
you will need your residency visa and insurance, you can actually buy insurance at the car registration place but I recommend using either RSA or the other one that's name escapes me!! can be bought from their offices and wait to pick up the policy. You meet the vendor, exchange cash, transfer vehicle into your name, (after it has been for testing), and that's it, takes about an hour
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

you will need your residency visa and insurance, you can actually buy insurance at the car registration place but I recommend using either RSA or the other one that's name escapes me!! can be bought from their offices and wait to pick up the policy. You meet the vendor, exchange cash, transfer vehicle into your name, (after it has been for testing), and that's it, takes about an hour
Cool,

I am guessing that the vendor will know where the testing place is etc.

I am hoping to sort this on Thursday this week as there are a couple of cars that appear to be suitable.

Thanks again for your help BC

m
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Note: The insurance has to have the additional coverage for Oman!!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:21 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
if you use a decent company they all do

Vehicle licencing centre is near mall of the emirates, do a search on their website for exact location
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Thanks Jim,

Shockingly!!! that is one of the very, very few things that i did know about. I feel such a cognitive parasite!

Mike
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:38 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

you will need your residency visa and insurance, you can actually buy insurance at the car registration place but I recommend using either RSA or the other one that's name escapes me!!
Would that be AXA Insurance based near Wafi?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:11 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by lionheart
aye that's them
Old Feb 19th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

if you use a decent company they all do

Vehicle licencing centre is near mall of the emirates, do a search on their website for exact location
Agreed! I am with RSA and before that the long departed General Accident and both do/did offer it!!!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lionheart

Can you advise where this office is and how to get to it?
Unable to get through to anyone sensible on the phone.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:45 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Purdey
Can you advise where this office is and how to get to it?
Unable to get through to anyone sensible on the phone.
It is in Wafi Residence, ground floor, near Raffles Hotel.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Thanks BC, do they have parking there or is it best to walk over from Wafi City?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purdey
Thanks BC, do they have parking there or is it best to walk over from Wafi City?
I believe you need to get an export plate if you want to re-register in Oman.

Might be worth calling "Tasjeel" in advance to get the details, if that's your plan.

I can vouch for AXA, great company reasonable rates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.