Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a House in Scotland

Buying a House in Scotland

Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:59 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a House in Scotland

OK, after several years of looking around the world we have found a house in Scotland near Spean Bridge in the Highlands. Having been overseas for more than 12 years, we're a little out of touch on some things.

Who are the best UK providers of TV/Telephone/Broadband services?

I know I can post this in the "Moving back to UK" section, but we're not so I won't!

I only ask 1 or 2 questions a year and this is the important one. Yes, LH, MH and all the others, I have tried Google!!! I need experiences.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:12 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a House in Scotland

Originally Posted by Roadking
OK, after several years of looking around the world we have found a house in Scotland near Spean Bridge in the Highlands. Having been overseas for more than 12 years, we're a little out of touch on some things.

Who are the best UK providers of TV/Telephone/Broadband services?

I know I can post this in the "Moving back to UK" section, but we're not so I won't!

I only ask 1 or 2 questions a year and this is the important one. Yes, LH, MH and all the others, I have tried Google!!! I need experiences.
Hello Chromedome,

Your Agent should find all that out for you.
I'm guessing you'd be better off with BT given the undulating nature of the area for Broadband/phone.TV, haven't a clue never watch the thing-but maybe if you are travelling still you'll want one who will allow you to put it on vacation.Any spare cash invest in a Midge Zapper.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:21 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Hello Chromedome,

Your Agent should find all that out for you.
I'm guessing you'd be better off with BT given the undulating nature of the area for Broadband/phone.TV, haven't a clue never watch the thing-but maybe if you are travelling still you'll want one who will allow you to put it on vacation.Any spare cash invest in a Midge Zapper.
Thanks Eva, my googling tells me BT is probably best but just hoped someone would be able to give real life advice.

As a big smelly biker, midges offer no threat to me. It's them green 12 legged spiders....
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:26 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Eva, my googling tells me BT is probably best but just hoped someone would be able to give real life advice.

As a big smelly biker, midges offer no threat to me. It's them green 12 legged spiders....

I lived further south and over a bit -hilly and quite remote-tried the usual suspects NTL,Tiscali,Virgin to name a few but some wouldn't cover and others were crap service.I hate BT but only ones imho who can properly service demand.
12 legged arachnids??You started on the water of life already?
Old Jun 4th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

As Eva says, your choice is probably going to be (very) limited given the location.

Sky do a good TV/Broadband/Phone combined package. For internet only I used Plusnet for the last few years until moving out, they were reliable and decent speeds (again given the location speed may not be great by modern standards), I think they are owned by BT so may be available.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:05 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Eva
I lived further south and over a bit -hilly and quite remote-tried the usual suspects NTL,Tiscali,Virgin to name a few but some wouldn't cover and others were crap service.I hate BT but only ones imho who can properly service demand.
12 legged arachnids??You started on the water of life already?
Already??? I brush my teeth with the water.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:06 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
As Eva says, your choice is probably going to be (very) limited given the location.

Sky do a good TV/Broadband/Phone combined package. For internet only I used Plusnet for the last few years until moving out, they were reliable and decent speeds (again given the location speed may not be great by modern standards), I think they are owned by BT so may be available.
Cheers mate, will check that out. Didn't ever think I'd find anywhere that has more limited choice than the UAE...
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:16 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

My brother lives in Scotland. He has BT for 'everything' eg phone line, internet.

He says they are absolutely useless. Very complicated billing system/s, hard to understand. You call the call centre and they also are unable to understand or give adequate answers/solutions.

Lots of needless, long, unproductive phone calls to BT.

Avoid them.

Sorry, as I live in the ME, I can't suggest an alternative.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:20 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

BT are fine, and i would wager your only option.

lovely part of the world to relocate BTW
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:24 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

To get you up and running get a pay as you go internet access for a couple of weeks and then go to BT for the package. The only advantage of Sky is that you get HD TV included and you need to buy a box to get BT otherwisw.
Plusnet is cheapest but is internet only.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:46 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by commander
BT are fine, and i would wager your only option.

lovely part of the world to relocate BTW
Not relocating yet, just for summer and Christmas holidays. Gonna hang on in Dubai for as long as I can bleed the place on a tax free salary....that'l help pay for the place in Scotland.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:47 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
My brother lives in Scotland. He has BT for 'everything' eg phone line, internet.

He says they are absolutely useless. Very complicated billing system/s, hard to understand. You call the call centre and they also are unable to understand or give adequate answers/solutions.

Lots of needless, long, unproductive phone calls to BT.

Avoid them.

Sorry, as I live in the ME, I can't suggest an alternative.
Thanks for the input, grumpy ol bugger!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:47 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
To get you up and running get a pay as you go internet access for a couple of weeks and then go to BT for the package. The only advantage of Sky is that you get HD TV included and you need to buy a box to get BT otherwisw.
Plusnet is cheapest but is internet only.
Might as well just go with the BT package from day 1. can't seem to find any other real alternatives anyway.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:55 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, can't believe it. 14 posts so far and nothing irrelevant, irreverent or irre-anything. I don't think it'll last much longer...
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:03 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Not relocating yet, just for summer and Christmas holidays. Gonna hang on in Dubai for as long as I can bleed the place on a tax free salary....that'l help pay for the place in Scotland.
You could always consider renting your Scottish castle out to expats at times when it would otherwise be empty. Talking of which, does anybody own a nice French gite?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.