Reload this Page >

Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Old Jun 26th 2017, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

JCoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Hi All,

Been posting a few threads recently as I'm moving to Abu Dhabi in the next couple of months.

I'm looking at cars, I know I'll be renting first 3 months at least, but I notice on a lot of threads people opting for Japanese cars and many people opposed to the German models (Volkswagen, BMW, Merc etc.) I'm just wondering why this is the case? Being from the UK, I've been led to believe German is best and most reliable? What am I missing ?!
Old Jun 26th 2017, 9:40 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Car - Reliability Confusion

Originally Posted by JCoop
Hi All,

Been posting a few threads recently as I'm moving to Abu Dhabi in the next couple of months.

I'm looking at cars, I know I'll be renting first 3 months at least, but I notice on a lot of threads people opting for Japanese cars and many people opposed to the German models (Volkswagen, BMW, Merc etc.) I'm just wondering why this is the case? Being from the UK, I've been led to believe German is best and most reliable? What am I missing ?!
German cars suffering due to the heat and expensive parts (and hence lack of maintenance) compared to the Jap cars
Old Jun 26th 2017, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

... and the fact that german cars are als not the most reliable in the UK. It's just a good marketing campaign.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
German cars suffering due to the heat and expensive parts (and hence lack of maintenance) compared to the Jap cars
Ah I see! Looks like I'll be going Jap which is a pity as I quite fancy some of the newer Mercs/Audis! Although I've never actually had a good look at Japanese cars so I'll investigate thanks !
Old Jun 26th 2017, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
... and the fact that german cars are als not the most reliable in the UK. It's just a good marketing campaign.
Yeah just had a quick google search and I think there's only one maybe two German cars in the top 20, as surprised to see that! Although I'd love to see reliability vs volume sold, because I'd estimate (where I live in Scotland anyway), a lot more people buy German than Japanese due to this reputation of reliability. Therefore I wonder if there are more reported reliability issues with German cars because there are more sold and therefore it's just a law of averages type thing!

Think I'll be going Japanese out in AD though for the reliability factor I did quite fancy one or the newer
Mercs or Audis but I'm not that into cars so reliability is more important to me !
Old Jun 26th 2017, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you are buying new or nearly new I'm pretty sure you won't get too many issues.

It's when they hit 6-7 years old.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

If you are buying new or nearly new I'm pretty sure you won't get too many issues.

It's when they hit 6-7 years old.
Ah I see, thanks for getting back to me! Seeing the price difference between some of the Jap models compared to the German type makes me think it's just not worth the extra for someone not really into cars ! Think I'll have a look at Japanese models and see what's out there!
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCoop
Ah I see, thanks for getting back to me! Seeing the price difference between some of the Jap models compared to the German type makes me think it's just not worth the extra for someone not really into cars ! Think I'll have a look at Japanese models and see what's out there!
Depending on what you want worth looking at a Jeep ..... I've bought a Grand Cherokee and it's pretty good value for money compared to European brands .... also so far has handled the heat and terrain well ! I'm very pleased with it for the money.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

err i beg to differ - i've been driving German cars for the last 7 yrs (of the 9 that i have been here so far) and i have NEVER had any issues with any of them. Granted they were brand new cars.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:23 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
err i beg to differ - i've been driving German cars for the last 7 yrs (of the 9 that i have been here so far) and i have NEVER had any issues with any of them. Granted they were brand new cars.
Your survey has a sample size of 2 (or 3)
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sample size is 100% of all cars owned. That's a big sample.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Mission....... German cars 'don't like it up em' out here.....
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
Depending on what you want worth looking at a Jeep ..... I've bought a Grand Cherokee and it's pretty good value for money compared to European brands .... also so far has handled the heat and terrain well ! I'm very pleased with it for the money.
But Jeeps have a pretty poor reputation for reliability - there is a reason why Mercedes got shot of Chrysler Dodge Jeep ..... even German engineers and a mountain of German money couldn't fix the problems. The idea that Fiat can do any better is amusing!
Old Jun 27th 2017, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But Jeeps have a pretty poor reputation for reliability - there is a reason why Mercedes got shot of Chrysler Dodge Jeep ..... even German engineers and a mountain of German money couldn't fix the problems. The idea that Fiat can do any better is amusing!
Ive driven BMW's and Audi's in the UK for 15+ years and always been very happy although would never hide the fact they suffer problems the same as any other car. Ive left behind a year old X5 in the UK which I loved and had every intention of having the same in UAE until I explored the cost like for like which was ridiculous. The Jeep was an easy and cheap purchase and good value for money IMHO, my research gave me no major concerns about reliability for use in the UAE and Im happy with it for what I paid. An X5 was 2.5 times the cost which for me could not be justified however good they might be
Old Jun 27th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

and your point is? my point is that it's all horse sh*t about jap cars being more 'adaptable' out here....that maybe the case for used cars and in which case ALL used cars over here, regardless of make/model will have been treated like sh*t....especially anything over 3 yrs ie where there is no service history...so to say jap cars are better than german cars out here, is total bollocks.
The only reason you see more jap cars is because they are cheaper

Last edited by mission; Jun 27th 2017 at 4:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.