Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a 2nd hand car privately in AD

Buying a 2nd hand car privately in AD

Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a 2nd hand car privately in AD

I'm considering buying a privately owned used car for Mrs O.

I understand that the process goes as follows:

- I go with the current owner along to the registration centre in Muroor, where they check his registration card for outstanding fines and finance;

- The car goes for a "technical";

- If all ok, the registration is transferred to me and I hand over the money.

The questions I have are:

- At which stage do I need to buy/show my own insurance?

- The front bumper needs a small crack repairing and a respray. Will this be an issue to have fixed after having the car registered in my name (i.e. without a police report)?

- Any recommendations for a decent bodyshop or paint shop?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a 2nd hand car privately in AD

you need insurance to register the vehicle into your name, and get a police report for the damage or it could prove difficult to get it repaired at a later date.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks.

I thought that the police report might be an issue. I think I'll ask the current owner to get this and if he doesn't want to play then I'll walk away.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Ok thanks.

I thought that the police report might be an issue. I think I'll ask the current owner to get this and if he doesn't want to play then I'll walk away.
you need it before you can get any work done
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks.

he should have already got one when it happened.....
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm considering buying a privately owned used car for Mrs O.

I understand that the process goes as follows:

- I go with the current owner along to the registration centre in Muroor, where they check his registration card for outstanding fines and finance;

- The car goes for a "technical";

- If all ok, the registration is transferred to me and I hand over the money.

The questions I have are:

- At which stage do I need to buy/show my own insurance?

- The front bumper needs a small crack repairing and a respray. Will this be an issue to have fixed after having the car registered in my name (i.e. without a police report)?

- Any recommendations for a decent bodyshop or paint shop?
the best place in ad that i have found over the years is the ford bodyshop.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you need insurance to register the vehicle into your name, and get a police report for the damage or it could prove difficult to get it repaired at a later date.
depends on how much of a scratch, there are plenty of cars with big scratches that pass the test, they arent too bothered the majority of times.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by busybee2
depends on how much of a scratch, there are plenty of cars with big scratches that pass the test, they arent too bothered the majority of times.

There's a 4" crack at the corner of the bumper and countless scuff marks on the rest, looks like careless parking rather than impact with another vehicle as there's no other colour paint to see.

So do you still need to get a police report when you dent your car when backing into your front gate?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

There's a 4" crack at the corner of the bumper and countless scuff marks on the rest, looks like careless parking rather than impact with another vehicle as there's no other colour paint to see.

So do you still need to get a police report when you dent your car when backing into your front gate?
I tried to get a police report by going to Bur Dubai police station, that was not fun. No, I had to go back to the wall I backed into, and call the police, and wait for them to come and inspect the wall. They didn't even bother to get out of the car, it was during august, so too hot probably. It was very painless.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:24 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.... Even if you back your own car into your own roller shutter garage door because your didn't wait long enough for it to go up you still need the magic report.....
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

for what it's worth, I had an accident that was my fault, other guy couldn't be arsed sticking around and since there was no damage to his car I had no problem and agreed he could go. Bad move, was 4 hours in Saeed to file the report, come back 2 days later, and another 5 hours to get the magic ticket that the insurance require to give the OK to ship. Plus a 50dhs fine for not reporting it at the time.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes you do.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

So as long as the police report covers all of the areas of the proposed repair work, then it doesn't matter if it's in my name or the name of the current owner?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Just spoken to the current owner and he's agreed to get a Police report which will allow me to have the bumpers repaired and resprayed.

The car's a top spec Jap import 1997 E320 Avantgarde W210 with over 100K on the clock but mechanically solid and drives like a beaut. A bargain at 16,000 Dhs IMO.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just spoken to the current owner and he's agreed to get a Police report which will allow me to have the bumpers repaired and resprayed.

The car's a top spec Jap import 1997 E320 Avantgarde W210 with over 100K on the clock but mechanically solid and drives like a beaut. A bargain at 16,000 Dhs IMO.
Not really a bargain after January 2012:

From the GulfNews back in 2008
From January 1, 2009, traffic departments across the emirates will stop registering or renewing licences of vehicles older than 20 years, according to a recently announced Federal Law.

From January 2010, vehicles older than 15 years will not be registered and licences not renewed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.