Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bus Lanes, at last!

Bus Lanes, at last!

Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:29 pm
W10

Default Re: Bus Lanes, at last!

Yes...made a point of doing it when I arrived.

People looked at me like I was mad though...especially when I made the mistake of sitting next to a woman

Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:19 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by W10
Yes...made a point of doing it when I arrived.

People looked at me like I was mad though...especially when I made the mistake of sitting next to a woman
PMSL!

Well thats something I am yet to try.... get on a bus in Dubai, I mean, not sit near a woman on a bus. LOL
Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:49 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
havent seen anyone driving on the hard shoulder in yonks.

How many times a day do you drive down SZR?
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:20 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
How many times a day do you drive down SZR?
LOL.... possibly a trip every couple of days, atleast.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:03 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.... possibly a trip every couple of days, atleast.
Do you ever exceef 50 KM/h Face??
Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:15 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Do you ever exceef 50 KM/h Face??
now u know I dont like to break the speed limit, but i DO stick to within 1km of the speed limit.

And I have been known to even climb onto pavements in 4X4's cos of peer pressure....
Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:21 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

now u know I dont like to break the speed limit, but i DO stick to within 1km of the speed limit.

And I have been known to even climb onto pavements in 4X4's cos of peer pressure....

I was driving to Jebel Ali hotel today and was forced to drive like Schumacher on the warm up lap of a race warming his tyres up - w****r taxi driver trying to over and undertake me on single lane road with hard shoulders on both sides and a van in front of me Managed to stop him though
Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:31 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Fairydust
I was driving to Jebel Ali hotel today and was forced to drive like Schumacher on the warm up lap of a race warming his tyres up - w****r taxi driver trying to over and undertake me on single lane road with hard shoulders on both sides and a van in front of me Managed to stop him though
Isn't it shocking how aggressive Dubai makes your driving style...had the same thing happen to me the other week.

I was cruising along the SZR - cars in front of me - when this taxi sits about 18 inches from my rear bumper at 140kph. I did a bit of left foot braking to make him back off, but then he starts flashing me and trying to overtake me on the hard shoulder.

Eventually he overtakes me on the hard shoulder and cuts in right in front of me (he obviously hadn't seen there was another car right in front of me which is why I wasn't racing into the distance )

So he does the same thing to the other car, overtakes on the hard shoulder.

This really pissed me off - and there was a gap in the inside lane - so I sped past the taxi and cut in front of him and then slowed down to about 100kph, making sure that whenever he tried to overtake I blocked him off.

Eventually I got bored and he pulled alongside so I flicked up a wanker sign, dropped a gear and sped off to the exit I was about to take.

Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:51 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Isn't it shocking how aggressive Dubai makes your driving style...had the same thing happen to me the other week.

I was cruising along the SZR - cars in front of me - when this taxi sits about 18 inches from my rear bumper at 140kph. I did a bit of left foot braking to make him back off, but then he starts flashing me and trying to overtake me on the hard shoulder.

Eventually he overtakes me on the hard shoulder and cuts in right in front of me (he obviously hadn't seen there was another car right in front of me which is why I wasn't racing into the distance )

So he does the same thing to the other car, overtakes on the hard shoulder.

This really pissed me off - and there was a gap in the inside lane - so I sped past the taxi and cut in front of him and then slowed down to about 100kph, making sure that whenever he tried to overtake I blocked him off.

Eventually I got bored and he pulled alongside so I flicked up a wanker sign, dropped a gear and sped off to the exit I was about to take.

I know its quite worrying maybe we are turning into them :scared:
Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:52 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

I know its quite worrying maybe we are turning into them :scared:
Well if u cant beat them join them they say.............and its wot I do, feels much safer
Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:00 pm
Its all good

Hi Malt

Not sure if I've told this story before if so sorry for boring everyone About 6 months or so ago hubby was driving along szr towards abu dhabi and was taking slip road just before shangri la. Some guy tried to cut him up and force him onto hard shoulder but he held his ground and the guy had to pull back in behind him - anyway on the slip road the guy accelarated and pulled past him and then turned the car right infront of him to cut him off and stopped the car and jumped out. He then yanked our car door open and grabbed hubby around the throat shouting all sorts of expletives Anyway to cut a very long story short alan ended up reporting this guy to the police who asked did we want to press charges etc etc. Eventually it ended up with alan having to go to police station and meet this guy who had to apologise to him face to face. Thing was police were more interested in the fact that he had swore at alan and not the fact he had assaulted him
Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:02 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Malt

Not sure if I've told this story before if so sorry for boring everyone About 6 months or so ago hubby was driving along szr towards abu dhabi and was taking slip road just before shangri la. Some guy tried to cut him up and force him onto hard shoulder but he held his ground and the guy had to pull back in behind him - anyway on the slip road the guy accelarated and pulled past him and then turned the car right infront of him to cut him off and stopped the car and jumped out. He then yanked our car door open and grabbed hubby around the throat shouting all sorts of expletives Anyway to cut a very long story short alan ended up reporting this guy to the police who asked did we want to press charges etc etc. Eventually it ended up with alan having to go to police station and meet this guy who had to apologise to him face to face. Thing was police were more interested in the fact that he had swore at alan and not the fact he had assaulted him
Foreigner?? Local????
Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:05 pm
W10

I won't mention the time a policeman (off duty) in a Landcruiser tried to physically force me off the road at 130kph because I didn't yield quickly enough.

He literally tried to push me into the hard shoulder.

Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:09 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by Malteser
Foreigner?? Local????
19yr old local
Old Feb 15th 2006, 5:10 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by W10
I won't mention the time a policeman (off duty) in a Landcruiser tried to physically force me off the road at 130kph because I didn't yield quickly enough.

He literally tried to push me into the hard shoulder.
Keep meaning to ask you why have you no life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.