Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Building work in Dubai

Building work in Dubai

Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Building work in Dubai

Hi all,

I'm tired! Why am I tired you may ask, well it may have something to do with the building/building site next door to me is being worked on 24-7 and last night they continued to drill, hammer, band saw etc until the wee hours basically making it impossible to get off to sleep! They've been at it like this for the last couple of weeks and its really starting to do my head in, are they allowed to do this or is there anyone I can complain to?

Cheers

Kittycat
x
Old Jun 11th 2010, 7:26 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Building work in Dubai

Sorry but ear plugs may be your easiest solution.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

I'm tired! Why am I tired you may ask, well it may have something to do with the building/building site next door to me is being worked on 24-7 and last night they continued to drill, hammer, band saw etc until the wee hours basically making it impossible to get off to sleep! They've been at it like this for the last couple of weeks and its really starting to do my head in, are they allowed to do this or is there anyone I can complain to?

Cheers

Kittycat
x
There are Municipality rules and you can call them to observe the noise. Basically they are not to work after 10 pm or was that about 20 years ago.Of course depends if the "client" has sway. I used to go to the site next door and ask them to stop compacting,as it vibrated my bed etc after being to the contractors office. They would then stop. Unfortunately those buildings have already been knocked down for further development!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 10:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

When other people's a/c's get to me at night, I play the sound of wind, waves and distant thunder on an endless loop on my ipod dock, just loud enough to drown out the outside sound. (Ultimate Nature Sounds Collection, downloaded from iTunes.) Admittedly that might not work with construction noise.

Now its just other people's erotic avatars and the lack of cold water in my shower which keep me up all night.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

have a word with the guys in the overalls sleeping on the pavement
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but isn't June-Sept the four-month period in which they are allowed to work at night (because it's too hot for the workers during the day in the summer months)?

When I was employed by a Dubai government institution (I can't tell you which one, so there's no point Holding your breath), that was the rule - has it been amended?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

there's lots of work which can only be done at night - because the truck bans during the day mean it's the only time enough materials can be delivered. Even more so during the summer working hours ban
Old Jun 12th 2010, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sandboy, Its not the lorries, its the banging of steels and whirring of bandsaws type noises that are the problem!

Saudiflares- me sleep deprived means angry Kittycat! Not sure I'd be able to be civil at 3 in the morning!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
there's lots of work which can only be done at night - because the truck bans during the day mean it's the only time enough materials can be delivered. Even more so during the summer working hours ban
plus if they are pouring concrete etc it has to be done at nite because of the temperatures.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:08 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Cheers

Kittycat
x
As others have intimated, check whether they have a municipality licence to work throughout the night. Not everyone bothers to apply and if they haven't you can get them shut down.

-