Budget Feedback.

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice
Default Budget Feedback.

Hi All,

In the process of understanding potential budget for Dubai to see if the move works for us. Please see high level numbers below:

Rent + Utilities (3 bedroom) - 18,000 (Monthly)
2 decent cars (KIA + Nissan mid SUV) - 7,000 (Monthly)
Education (4 yr old + 6 month - save for now) - 10,000 (Monthly)
Gas Plus Transport - 500 (Monthly)
Groceries - 4,500 (Monthly)
Misc - 4,000 (Monthly)
Savings - 6,000 (Monthly)

Package includes a decent bonus (I never include bonus in calculations) plus medical insurance plus dental and annual return flights (North America) for family.

Your feedback is much appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget Feedback.

Rent + Utilities (3 bedroom) - 18,000 (Monthly)

Reasonable budget for housing. It's basically 15k for the rent and 3k for the housing tax, utilities and internet. You can certainly find cheaper options. But a 'safe' budget, nonetheless, that gets you into the popular expat areas.

Total: 18,000

2 decent cars (KIA + Nissan mid SUV) - 7,000 (Monthly)

Too high. Buy one used KIA to get to/from the office (or the metro ). Pay in cash for that, if you can, or have around 1,000 monthly payments on a loan. Get a new family SUV. Pajeros are very popular though Nissan is fine too. Monthly loan over three years is likely around 2500. Total car payments is 3500 for the two. Petrol is probably 600-700 a month between the two but to play it safe, up it to 1,000 altogether.

Total car expenditures: 4500 a month.

Education (4 yr old + 6 month - save for now) - 10,000 (Monthly)

Only your 4 year old is facing schooling soon. I think at that age he goes into nursery next year. Nursery fees vary but 35000/year seems normal from what I remember. If going into KG1 buget 50k a year. By the time child #2 is ready for schooling you may be back in Canada.

Total education expenditures: 4k a month.

Gas Plus Transport - 500 (Monthly)

See above. Already factored in.

Groceries - 4,500 (Monthly)

Safe budget, once again. Can be flexible with it and spend a lot less, if needed. Only you will know. Keep it for now.

Total groceries: 4,500

Misc - 4,000 (Monthly)

Safe budget once again. Assumes this covers eating out, entertainment, the odd purchases. You might spend half that, you might spend more!

Total misc: 4,000

Savings - 6,000 (Monthly)

Total expenditures: 35,000

Total savings: 15,000
Old Mar 24th 2017, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice

Thank you, much appreciated.
To your point I have tried to build in contingency for everything considering I will be new to the region and have no idea how things will work.

Any idea how early to start looking for schools, we will not get there until mid July?

Thanks Again!
Old Mar 24th 2017, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If going into KG1, now.

Nurseries are easier.

Originally Posted by shake2000
Thank you, much appreciated.
To your point I have tried to build in contingency for everything considering I will be new to the region and have no idea how things will work.

Any idea how early to start looking for schools, we will not get there until mid July?

Thanks Again!
Old Mar 24th 2017, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
If going into KG1, now.

Nurseries are easier.
I should probably know this, what does a 4 yr old join? KG or nursery. Here it's called pre-school.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think it's 4 into KG1 if going the North American route or FS1 for the UK route. Some nurseries also offer a FS1 year, methinks. KG = kindergarten.

Not entirely up to date on all the schooling details call the schools and find out. Not many mums on here, unfortunately.

I should probably know this, what does a 4 yr old join? KG or nursery. Here it's called pre-school.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

No worries, I will make the Mrs join Expatwoman or something.

All this talk about moving has me concerned about my electronics now. Anyone ever used a converter for their TV? I just got the 65 inch screen over Christmas and do not want to part with it....!
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Too risky. Could get damaged in the container. Don't want to have to faff around with converters.

Flog it, bite the loss and get a new one in Dubai, or a second hand one from a departing expat.

No worries, I will make the Mrs join Expatwoman or something.

All this talk about moving has me concerned about my electronics now. Anyone ever used a converter for their TV? I just got the 65 inch screen over Christmas and do not want to part with it....!
Old Mar 26th 2017, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Heartbroken since it's only a couple of months old..!

So the worry is they will break it during the move but not that I'll fry it because of voltage difference? I found some really fancy transformers on Amazon.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Heartbroken since it's only a couple of months old..!

So the worry is they will break it during the move but not that I'll fry it because of voltage difference? I found some really fancy transformers on Amazon.
The electrickery is the same here as in ingerland.

I wouldn't worry about them breaking it during the move, you're going to insure the container anyway. If it breaks it's just another item to add to the claim... as there will be a claim.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

He's Canadian.

They betrayed the spirit of empire by adopting the American voltage system.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The electrickery is the same here as in ingerland.

I wouldn't worry about them breaking it during the move, you're going to insure the container anyway. If it breaks it's just another item to add to the claim... as there will be a claim.