British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   British Passport due to finished pages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/british-passport-due-finished-pages-691898/)

msk2009 Nov 2nd 2010 12:52 pm

British Passport due to finished pages

Hi , Due to the nature of my job and travelling involved I have managed to successfully finish off all but one page on my passport. the passport is still valid for another 6 years.

With the new beautiful rule of applying for UK passport in Germany from the middle east ( wow so many countries involved) is it possible to apply for a second passport without handing over my existing passport as the new passport can takes min 4 weeks.

Or if i am feeling lucky do they still allow someone to apply for a second passport in the Riyadh embassy?

Any help would be much appreciated or else:confused: I will have to go the UK just to get a second passport.

Regards,
msk

lionheart Nov 2nd 2010 1:00 pm

Re: British Passport due to finished pages

Some airlines won't even let you fly if you have only one empty page, as a visa stamp will presumably be necessary upon your return. Just go through the usual renewal procedure. As a precaution, it's always wise to check the number of spare pages well before you need to travel.

Bungdit Din Nov 2nd 2010 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by msk2009 (Post 8957032)
the new passport can takes min 4 weeks

can take, but most people renewing since the switch to Dusseldorf have been getting them back in about 10 days... 4 weeks is probably for the busiest periods...

coffindodger Nov 2nd 2010 1:30 pm

Might be best to go back to the UK and get a new passport in less than 4 hours .

flares Nov 2nd 2010 1:36 pm

see if you can peel a few old ones off. I did for this ridiculous Indonesia visa that was only for a four day visit to Bintan Island (which is Singapore in my eyes anyways)

andrewpops Nov 2nd 2010 1:39 pm

Hi , Due to the nature of my job and travelling involved I have managed to successfully finish off all but one page on my passport. the passport is still valid for another 6 years.

With the new beautiful rule of applying for UK passport in Germany from the middle east ( wow so many countries involved) is it possible to apply for a second passport without handing over my existing passport as the new passport can takes min 4 weeks.

Or if i am feeling lucky do they still allow someone to apply for a second passport in the Riyadh embassy?

Any help would be much appreciated or else:confused: I will have to go the UK just to get a second passport.

Regards,
msk

Apply for a second passport to the UKPA - but you'll need a letter from employer explaining why you need it.

busybee2 Nov 2nd 2010 3:57 pm

renewals via germany have been like 1 week or so

Bijilo123 Nov 3rd 2010 5:01 am

You don't need to surrender your first pp to get a second. You need a letter from your employer and one from you explaining why.

Interestingly the pp form has about four spaces for additional pp numbers so there must be some people with five. I used to have two - 'For us' and 'Against Us'.

Oyibopeppeh Nov 3rd 2010 2:55 pm

At the British embassy in Tripoli earlier this year I was told that second passport applications would be "tightened up" over the coming months. They told me that the best way was to apply with a letter from the employer stating (along the lines of) "needs a second passport in order to make multiple visa applications due to travel requirements". The application should be supported with copies of the visa and entry/exit stamps showing that the applicant is a frequent traveler.

HTH

Roadking Nov 3rd 2010 3:33 pm

Regards,
msk

Get an egate card!

typical Nov 3rd 2010 11:40 pm

It's really easiest to do this in a day at Victoria.

csdf Nov 4th 2010 6:53 am

Once you have the second passport (which I do) do you still need an employer's letter to renew it?

TGFKASE Nov 4th 2010 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8959457)
At the British embassy in Tripoli earlier this year I was told that second passport applications would be "tightened up" over the coming months. They told me that the best way was to apply with a letter from the employer stating (along the lines of) "needs a second passport in order to make multiple visa applications due to travel requirements". The application should be supported with copies of the visa and entry/exit stamps showing that the applicant is a frequent traveler.

HTH

Dont think that is 'tightening up'...

You have needed a letter pretty much stating that for all 2nd passport applications, AFAIK...

typical Nov 4th 2010 8:57 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 8960824)
Once you have the second passport (which I do) do you still need an employer's letter to renew it?

Yes, you do.

Fell foul of this, had to get a letter faxed over.

Oyibopeppeh Nov 4th 2010 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8960826)
Dont think that is 'tightening up'...

You have needed a letter pretty much stating that for all 2nd passport applications, AFAIK...

I was really referring to their requirement to provide copies of the visas and stamps, to show that the applicant was a frequent traveller