British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   British Invasion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/british-invasion-538060/)

Old Lob May 23rd 2008 1:13 pm

Re: British Invasion

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6383452)
You have to be kidding............

Typical Aussie temp quote: "I'm here for a few years, see a bit of Europe, take the money and run - if I screw up they fire me - so what? I'm a temp, I'll get something else..... etc.... etc". They are laughing at the UK.

If there ARE some good ones, it would explain something else I had heard about and recently discovered for myself when I made my first visit to Oz - the appalling standard of public service there (the good ones have all gone abroad).

"Nah, it'll be OK" seems to be a stock-in-trade expression for everyone from waiters to builders..... waiters who seem genuinely shocked when you politely ask them to change something because it wasn't what you ordered.... etc.

And at a professional level? They are crying out for anything that could remotely be described as 'white collar' (I was offered a one week consultancy project while I was there on a family holiday!).

Wherever I am, I try to employ locals and Indians (who all seem to have superb numeracy and mental arithmetic skills - essential in my work).......

Southern Hemisphere? No thanks.........

I don't dispute your experience - I still remember the encounter with the twt barman but I have had very good experiences with their professionsls. And your comment on being offered a white collar (and judging from your photograph you need more than that, matches your demographic proposition that they are all there in London. I don't think many people like it. I don't think at all actually.

Wherever I work, I employ complete idiots - because this increases the average IQ.

Norm_uk May 25th 2008 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Old Lob (Post 6380554)
No, not at all. The entire banking system in London is supported / overwhelmed by very competent and very highly paid Aussies on temp work visas doing jobs that Brits cant do either because the market is booming or because of lack of skill! And teaching, and law and admin - the Aussie temp in London is a big phenomenon. I opnly ask why Brits can't do the jobs - after all they are well paid!!

The failing is for the past 20 years students in the UK have been studying humanities in huge numbers...a society only needs so many sociology and media studies graduates as there are only so many McDonalds for them to work in. :)

My view of home now is one of extreme apathy...and lots of talk and little walk!

N.

Inselaffen May 25th 2008 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Old Lob (Post 6380554)
No, not at all. The entire banking system in London is supported / overwhelmed by very competent and very highly paid Aussies on temp work visas doing jobs that Brits cant do either because the market is booming or because of lack of skill! And teaching, and law and admin - the Aussie temp in London is a big phenomenon. I opnly ask why Brits can't do the jobs - after all they are well paid!!

there are more than enough well educated lawyers in England. A lot of good law/lpc/bvc graduates who never get a chance to work in law.

There are quite alot of Aussie lawyers in London because it pays vastly more than in Oz. Quite frankly they shouldn't be allowed to work in the UK unless they are very senior with a lot of experience.