British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   British Invasion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/british-invasion-538060/)

NorthernLad May 22nd 2008 5:12 am

British Invasion

Should mean more posters on BE website...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/51991...xodus-overseas

Old Lob May 22nd 2008 5:36 am

Re: British Invasion

....if they are literate.

ScotsExpat May 22nd 2008 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Old Lob (Post 6378539)
....if they are literate.

Hasnt stopped a few before.....

shiva May 22nd 2008 7:17 am

If the numbers are right then the UK is now pushing brits away and attracting everyone else.
Would be interesting to know of those that left how many were recent immigrants and how many had been there for a few generations
A bizzare situation, immigration into England is not a new thing by any means but the mass exodus is a lot rarer

Old Lob May 22nd 2008 9:34 am

The number of people who want to leave the UK is reputed to be 5M. If you take the population at 25 milion adults then this is huge. The ability to move is less inhibited now (well last year) with house equity being realisable but movement for employment is less easy than before because the British Employee is only valued as such in increasingly small market. Like 25 years ago there was a colossal salary premium dfor Brits to go to DXB. Now if they want they can have the same salary as the Indian Clerk.

Migration in is facilitated by the lack of development of the Brits, ageing population and the realisation that at the bottom of society it is still relatively fare, safe and potentially generous.

Two off the cuff remarks - Brits will not wipe arses at the old peoples home - hence the influx of West Africans. Brits cannot do professional work - (and boomoing economy there) hence 80,000 antipodeans and RSAs doing highly paid jobs in the professions in London.

I do agree it is bizarre and I agree with your implication that there is a very real desire to escape from there.

Ed Pies May 22nd 2008 11:58 am

Maybe the predicted oversupply of property in Dubai in 2010 will never happen, due to the increased demand.

Meow May 22nd 2008 12:35 pm

Whilst 5 million Brits may say they want to leave, you can bet that for most it is largely idle chatter and they will never get off their backsides to do anything about it.

lionheart May 22nd 2008 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Old Lob (Post 6379305)
Two off the cuff remarks - Brits will not wipe arses at the old peoples home - hence the influx of West Africans. Brits cannot do professional work - (and boomoing economy there) hence 80,000 antipodeans and RSAs doing highly paid jobs in the professions in London.

I don't know too many West Africans who will wipe old people's arses either...incidentally, what do you mean by "professional work"? Aren't some overseas folk taking Brit's jobs simply because the employers can get away with paying them less?

Meow May 22nd 2008 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6380140)
I don't know too many West Africans who will wipe old people's arses either...incidentally, what do you mean by "professional work"? Aren't some overseas folk taking Brit's jobs simply because the employers can get away with paying them less?

Aussies & South Africans - must be professional bar work.

pauldxb May 22nd 2008 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6380118)
Whilst 5 million Brits may say they want to leave, you can bet that for most it is largely idle chatter and they will never get off their backsides to do anything about it.

Totally agree, i was going on about it for ages, two months after i moved i returned & nothing / nobody had changed it was then i realised i had made the right decision, i dont want to look back in twenty years & think what if....

Cabbage May 22nd 2008 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6380118)

Completely agree. The vast majority of people we've spoken to about moving to the Middle East have said they want to do it as well, but nobody has actually done a thing about it. And I'm pretty damn sure every Brit over 50 is wanting to retire to Spain!

Ed Pies May 22nd 2008 2:10 pm

British Invasion

The grass is always greener on the other side, apart from in the UK where it is always wetter.:thumbsup:

Old Lob May 22nd 2008 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6380152)
Aussies & South Africans - must be professional bar work.

No, not at all. The entire banking system in London is supported / overwhelmed by very competent and very highly paid Aussies on temp work visas doing jobs that Brits cant do either because the market is booming or because of lack of skill! And teaching, and law and admin - the Aussie temp in London is a big phenomenon. I opnly ask why Brits can't do the jobs - after all they are well paid!!

Old Lob May 22nd 2008 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6380140)

Prof work see previous reply - they are not underpaid - they are good at their jobs. I qualify that. I have worked with these guys in a limited way in London and they were impressive. To me they seemed to be better than the locals. I put it down to a sampling effect - people who go round the world to find work in London without an offer have something about them.

Just have a look at the nursing homes in London they are manned by compassionate West African carers on minimum wage. Brits don't do that!

The Dean May 23rd 2008 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Old Lob (Post 6380567)
Prof work see previous reply - they are not underpaid - they are good at their jobs. I qualify that. I have worked with these guys in a limited way in London and they were impressive. To me they seemed to be better than the locals. I put it down to a sampling effect - people who go round the world to find work in London without an offer have something about them.

Just have a look at the nursing homes in London they are manned by compassionate West African carers on minimum wage. Brits don't do that!

You have to be kidding............

Typical Aussie temp quote: "I'm here for a few years, see a bit of Europe, take the money and run - if I screw up they fire me - so what? I'm a temp, I'll get something else..... etc.... etc". They are laughing at the UK.

If there ARE some good ones, it would explain something else I had heard about and recently discovered for myself when I made my first visit to Oz - the appalling standard of public service there (the good ones have all gone abroad).

"Nah, it'll be OK" seems to be a stock-in-trade expression for everyone from waiters to builders..... waiters who seem genuinely shocked when you politely ask them to change something because it wasn't what you ordered.... etc.

And at a professional level? They are crying out for anything that could remotely be described as 'white collar' (I was offered a one week consultancy project while I was there on a family holiday!).

Wherever I am, I try to employ locals and Indians (who all seem to have superb numeracy and mental arithmetic skills - essential in my work).......

Southern Hemisphere? No thanks.........