Reload this Page >

British giving birth in Dubai

British giving birth in Dubai

Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Amy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British giving birth in Dubai

Hi there

Just a quick question, I left the UK a few months ago and I am now working and living here. I am also pregnant and planning to give birth this year in the UAE. Will he still have the British Citizenship if he is born in the UAE and not in the UK? Is there any way round getting him to get the British passport if he is born in the UAE? I hope you can help me on this question else I will just call up the British Embassy and get more information from them.

Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:57 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British giving birth in Dubai

First things first - you *are* married, right?

Secondly, yes, your baby will have British citizenship. He certainly won't be a UAE citizen or be eligible for a UAE passport; the UAE does not give citizenship to anyone except babies born to UAE nationals.

You will need to register the birth with the UAE authorities, and then with the British Embassy, at which point you'll apply for the baby's British passport. The baby will also need a UAE residence visa to live here, just like any other expat.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:43 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

there are two other website you should check out re these issues I thin you will get more info... I dont know if I can put them here I think they get censored for some bizarre reason...

expatwoman.com and ***********.com.....

also do PM me if you have any questions I just had a baby here and I'm english.....

Good Luck
Old Feb 24th 2007, 6:44 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

HAHA only one of them gets censored.......... now I wonder why that would be........... I think its about time some people grew up
Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy
HAHA only one of them gets censored.......... now I wonder why that would be........... I think its about time some people grew up
If a site spams on BE, then we put it on the censor list, it's as simple as that.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR

Secondly, yes, your baby will have British citizenship..
not necessarily, though probably will be...it depends on how the OP got British citizenship, if through decent for instance, then they wouldn't be able to confer citizenship without the kid being born in the UK.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:35 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as you're baby is born, you have about 120 days to register the birth. We're expecting our first baby any day now and we are planning to use a company called Medi-Express to do all the paperwork and running around for us. We were recommended them from the American Hospital.

They charge about 385dhs all in, which is well worth it to save all the hassle of driving around different Government offices and queues.

http://www.mediexpress.ae/newborn.htm

Once all this paperwork has been done and returned to you, then you can go straight to the British Embassy for the baby's passport...
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:14 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not necessarily, though probably will be...it depends on how the OP got British citizenship, if through decent for instance, then they wouldn't be able to confer citizenship without the kid being born in the UK.
my husband born outside the UK (German) because my FIL working for RAF. He can passed on the citizenship to his son eventhough born outside the UK.

The catch is ... if my son's wife delivering the baby outside the UK ... the baby won't be able to get the british citizenship.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
Once all this paperwork has been done and returned to you, then you can go straight to the British Embassy for the baby's passport...
It would be strongly recommended to get a British style birth certificate (from the Embassy) for the child as well. There is a cost but it avoids a nightmare for the child later on in trying to use a UAE birth certificate, let alone the hassle of replacing it if lost.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

we got a british birth certificate as well, it does save hassle later on. Once all the running around is done it is pretty easy to get the passport.
Good luck
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
my husband born outside the UK (German) because my FIL working for RAF. He can passed on the citizenship to his son eventhough born outside the UK.

The catch is ... if my son's wife delivering the baby outside the UK ... the baby won't be able to get the british citizenship.
That's different, FIL was in the armed services, when posted abroad, you're pretty much considered to be in UK soil.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:08 pm
Soupy twist

I'm still slightly concerned by the wording of Amy's original post, which could be taken to imply that she's a single mother... Amy, can you confirm that you're married?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Madelene is an unknown quantity at this point

Amy, If you are not married i wouldnt even think about having a baby here. I got married while pregnant and still went home to have the baby after hearing horror stories of birth certificates not being issued etc. Be very careful if this is your situation. Too much to risk.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77

You already got your son married??? That really is some weird custom...At least wait for a year!!!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:38 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
You already got your son married??? That really is some weird custom...At least wait for a year!!!
lol ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.