Reload this Page >

British couple moving to Muscat Oman

British couple moving to Muscat Oman

Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:11 am
Just Joined

mo9292 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British couple moving to Muscat Oman

Hi All

I am currently looking at a potential move to oman Muscat and wanted some advice for all the experienced expats out there. Its just the 2 of us so just wanted to know

what are the preferred areas to live in
shopping centres etc
at the moment only i have will have a job so something for the mrs to do?
what are the standard working hours
Expat bank account?
how often do you visit home?
any restrictions on leaving? Exit visa etc
any other info for a newbie?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:15 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British couple moving to Muscat Oman

what are the preferred areas to live in - depends on what school your children go to

shopping centres etc - lol. Dubai? Erm, but there are a few small malls

at the moment only i have will have a job so something for the mrs to do? - join SGO - women's guild of oman. join a gym. have coffee. volunteer at schools, or charities, or vets, or something. usual expat unemployed spouse stuff.

what are the standard working hours - depends on nationality (seriously) and who you work for. there are ministry guidelines on working hours / no of days but that is generally ignored. big companies Sat-Wed 8 hours a day 7-4 + 1 hour unpaid lunch. smaller companies Sat-Thurs. service companies 24/7. other companies 7-1; 4-7. depends.

Expat bank account? all are terrible. HSBC is the only one you can do internet transfer overseas.

how often do you visit home? as little as possible.

any restrictions on leaving? Exit visa etc. Not really but depends on your job title on your labour card if you want easy road access out of the country. it's illegal for an employer to hold your passport, but some try it on. some employers will give you a flight home after 12 months. others differ.

any other info for a newbie? what's important to you?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Original shunshine

thanks for the quick response, as far as living goes we have no children at the moment but i have heard taffic is bad. If i get the job it will be on the airport project so will probably based at the airport

As far as purchasing a vehicle iv been looking at some sites and they are quite expensive (second hand cars) would there be any milage in going to dubai buying one then driving back
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:08 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

the Wave is an expat community based down towards the airport (well, next door). it has its plus & minuses, but for you both without kids, and if you want to minimise your commute it's a good choice. that part of the metropolis is becoming more and more developed with time - as in no way would I have moved there in 2007, but now it is a much more cosmopolitan area.

that said, a lot of the expat lady hangouts are the other end, in MSQ, and Shatti areas. without kids, there's not a huge amount to do down at the athaiba / airport end of town.

2nd hand cars are the same price buying in Dubai and then importing, as they are here. you will also need all your paperwork in order before you do so. that can take up to 6 weeks once you land. it's why a lot of people end up buying new. however, when you get here, get a one or two month rental and take your time looking at expats leaving on local noticeboards, supermarket adverts etc as you wont get the huge dealer mark up. alternatively, look at getting 1 or 2 year leases on a car instead. also think about what you really want. i know so many lads who buy a jeep and use it once a year, and it's really not a safe car in this traffic, nor the easiest to park. there is huge choice here.

2nd hand cars have enormous milage on them here compared to elsewhere, particularly local driven ones as a lot of people drive back to their villages in the interior at the weekends, which at 1000km per journey sometimes can add up quickly!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Muscat today. It's like a village, compared to even Abu Dhabi.

There is one main road running through the town (they all drive like nutters, but in a more bush way) and everything of importance is based either side of the highway.

I haven't been far outside of Muscat, but the Omani's seem to be the friendliest of the GCC arabs and the place has much more relaxed feel about it.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh

There is one main road running through the town (they all drive like nutters, but in a more bush way) and everything of importance is based either side of the highway.

I haven't been far outside of Muscat, but the Omani's seem to be the friendliest of the GCC arabs and the place has much more relaxed feel about it.
Did I pass you in the airport as I was also in Muscat today but now nicely wrapped up in the crowne plaza in Sohar which I must say has the best Columbian band in the Middle East. You are very lucky coming to Muscat, it is the best place in the Gulf for old people. I love it

Cars are cheap in comparison to the UK so check your calculations
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Hi Have been looking at apartments in the wave. has anyone got any latest snaps of the area as i have heard there is still alot of construction going on and may look like a building site!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:06 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mo9292
Hi Have been looking at apartments in the wave. has anyone got any latest snaps of the area as i have heard there is still alot of construction going on and may look like a building site!
Pretty much the entire Middle East looks like a building site.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Did I pass you in the airport as I was also in Muscat today but now nicely wrapped up in the crowne plaza in Sohar which I must say has the best Columbian band in the Middle East.
and the most beautiful Algerian barmaid
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Ok next question
any way to get uk tv channels?

and as far as internet is concerned do i need a vpn to access iplayer etc
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:49 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mo9292
Ok next question
any way to get uk tv channels?

and as far as internet is concerned do i need a vpn to access iplayer etc
Get a VPN as you'll need it to download decent TV programmes. Local channels are generally a bit rubbish.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Get a VPN as you'll need it to download decent TV programmes. Local channels are generally a bit rubbish.
not strictly true, you need a vpn to stream but you can download the next day from these sites

uknova - thebox.bz and warezbb will get you 99% of what you need
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

can you access usenet groups from there?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:05 pm
womble

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh

even better, it has topography
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Another good thing about Muscat is that it is only 5 hours by air to Bangkok...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.