Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bringing medication into the UAE

Bringing medication into the UAE

Old Oct 16th 2018, 2:44 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing medication into the UAE

“All tourists and residents of UAE will now be required to fill in an electronic form to get approval to carry any kind of medication for personal use, said a top Ministry of Health and Prevention official. The Import of Personal Medication service was launched at Gitex 2018.”

https://gulfnews.com/news/uae/health...ines-1.2290144

Old Oct 17th 2018, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing medication into the UAE

Originally Posted by hnd
“All tourists and residents of UAE will now be required to fill in an electronic form to get approval to carry any kind of medication for personal use, said a top Ministry of Health and Prevention official. The Import of Personal Medication service was launched at Gitex 2018.”

https://gulfnews.com/news/uae/health...ines-1.2290144

I saw this... got me thinking, what's a medicine? What about my dog's hayfever tablets (yes, it's true) or his fish oil tablets?
Old Oct 17th 2018, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I saw this... got me thinking, what's a medicine? What about my dog's hayfever tablets (yes, it's true) or his fish oil tablets?

I read it, that it is prescription medication, not medicine you can buy over the counter

for all passengers entering UAE to get this prior approval from the ministry to carry their prescription-based medication.

Most of the banned stuff is prescription only in the UK/US etc ( It does mention controlled drugs further down the article hayfever tablets/fish oil would not come under that remit
Old Oct 17th 2018, 2:22 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Dr Ameen Hussain Al Amiri, assistant undersecretary for Licencing and Public Health Policy at the ministry told Gulf News: “In order to carry personal medication, both control and regular medication, it is now mandatory for all passengers entering UAE to get this prior approval from the ministry to carry their prescription-based medication. We are doing this to control drug threats that hinder the economy and public health.”

I read it as “prescription-based medication”, too. People would just need to be aware of which meds are OTC in their home country but prescribed in the UAE - such as codeine and any codeine-based meds.