Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

breast milk on emirates

breast milk on emirates

Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:40 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default breast milk on emirates

i have been asked to ask about this........and this better get me some bloody brownie points, a lie in or something more entertaining. 7 yrs of posts and im reduced to this.........mumble mumble piss and moan

can the mrs take expressed breast milk on emirates and if so how much? she has already asked a couple of emirates folk and the answer has ranged from no to yes and yes but only 100 ml. 100ml being about as much use as a fart in a hurricane i might add.

anyone know for certain?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: breast milk on emirates

Originally Posted by shiva
i have been asked to ask about this........and this better get me some bloody brownie points, a lie in or something more entertaining. 7 yrs of posts and im reduced to this.........mumble mumble piss and moan

can the mrs take expressed breast milk on emirates and if so how much? she has already asked a couple of emirates folk and the answer has ranged from no to yes and yes but only 100 ml. 100ml being about as much use as a fart in a hurricane i might add.

anyone know for certain?
Do a night flight and minimise the issue... or maybe use a blanket that's what we (well, she) did.

But, from memory - I think it was OK if you drunk a little bit in front of the security person.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:22 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, she's got a cover thingy and it's not a huge issue more convenience but I am surprised at the complete lack of clarity within emirates over the issue considering its the biological function of 6 billion boobs
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Do a night flight and minimise the issue... or maybe use a blanket that's what we (well, she) did.

But, from memory - I think it was OK if you drunk a little bit in front of the security person.
You cannot be serious... There must be other things to drink
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, she's got a cover thingy and it's not a huge issue more convenience but I am surprised at the complete lack of clarity within emirates over the issue considering its the biological function of 6 billion boobs
shall I tweet your request? oops BE beat me to it!!
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:40 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1967tazz
You cannot be serious... There must be other things to drink
anything over 100ml of liquid and you need to try some of it - sorry about that. Doesn't matter what liquid. You could get bubs to sample it if (like me) you're not particularly comfortable with drinking your own production.

Alternatively, she could just feed direct. I've done so loads of times and absolutely nobody even bats an eyelid (in fact, seeing as you're right next to the bulkhead - if you've got a bassinet seat - people will strike up conversation with you whilst they're waiting, absolutely none the wiser that you're feeding and not just cuddling.) I never used a cover either.

Oh, and they won't be able to store it either, so if you have a long flight, that may be problematic.

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Jul 26th 2011 at 8:04 am.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

We have never had tasting issues with expressed milk at AD, Bh or Doha but your big problem is when coming back. Manchester were absolute knobs & wankers and not one of the staff was English but thats another story.
Obviously no use at all to you seeing as you are flying DXB but cant imagine them being that different, can they ?
We got an insulated bag from Mothercare or boots that kept the bottles cold until required for heating so dont think that will be an issue.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:04 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
We have never had tasting issues with expressed milk at AD, Bh or Doha but your big problem is when coming back. Manchester were absolute knobs & wankers and not one of the staff was English but thats another story.
Obviously no use at all to you seeing as you are flying DXB but cant imagine them being that different, can they ?
We got an insulated bag from Mothercare or boots that kept the bottles cold until required for heating so dont think that will be an issue.
yup, DXB won't blink - they always let me wheel the buggy through the x-ray portal too, but on the UK end, they're really stringent, to the point of being totally anal about it.

I once travelled solo with 2 under two and they got me to fully dismantle my buggy with not even a hand to hold one of the kids, and then, once that was done, the shoes had to come off... grrr... and then I had to reassemble buggy, car seat, change bag (which of course they wanted to inspect too) and assorted children, including patting down my son's nappy.

Another time, I saw a mum being asked to sample 50% of the cartons of formula she had brought for her newborn twins and she was trying to protest that once they're opened, they have to be used within 2 hours, so would have to be chucked, leaving her babies without feeds. Dunno how it was settled.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:18 pm
**** it we'll do it live

thx folks, will see what the boss wants to do at this end, as for the uk i hate the security wankers at the best of times so we'll probably not bother on the way back. ( which will almost certainly save me from detention at her majesty's pleasure)
i'd be interested to know how many buggy wielding mums have ever been caught trying to smuggle explosives onto a plane though
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

i'd be interested to know how many buggy wielding mums have ever been caught trying to smuggle explosives onto a plane though
Not many but thats only because of the vigilence of those brave customs and security officers on the front line, defending us from the mujahadene-Mums

On our latest trip back in April we didnt bother with bottles at Manchester due to the **** ups on previous trips with the ****wit security personnel and went instead to the Boots airside to pick up cartons. The very helpful lady at the cash desk said that we would be fine until Amsterdam at which point our cartons would be confiscated even though still in the sealed plastic bag they were willing to supply.
As it happens the guys and gals at Amsterdam were no problem at all

So its just Manchester airport and its East European & TCN immigration and security staff who are the problem.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

This is the kind of thing you can't get a reliable answer for here.

On another note- do boobs have an actual biological function? I thought they were purely decorative?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
So its just Manchester airport and its East European & TCN immigration and security staff who are the problem.
Same problem at Heathrow too. In fairness, once I'd drunk a bit they were fine about it. The biggest problem in all of this really was trying to hide the erection while sipping the expressed breast milk.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Same problem at Heathrow too. In fairness, once I'd drunk a bit they were fine about it. The biggest problem in all of this really was trying to hide the erection while sipping the expressed breast milk.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:51 pm
ex-expat

I always travel to Gatwick, so I think it's everywhere in the UK.