Book/DVD Sale

Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:42 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book/DVD Sale

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
for sure, if i can help, let me know...it's an amazing cause, saw an interview with elle in a mag last week, just made me feel so humble and rubbish that there is someone out there helping these guys and i'm doing sod all...

MM, xx
if your feeling bad, get yourself to Carrefour and buy a shed load of rice and drop it off at Elle's, she lives near you
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
if your feeling bad, get yourself to Carrefour and buy a shed load of rice and drop it off at Elle's, she lives near you
the school often does the shoe box thing, which i always do...but let me know where she is and i will do that, thanks...

MM, xx
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:57 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
a word from Elle and Roger, the organisers of Helping Hands. (GA is my user name elsewhere)

I want to say huge Thank You on behalf of Helpinghandsuae and the recipients who will benefit from our book sale, initiated, organized and excuted by the great Posh Geordie Armani and her wonderful, hard working team. I don't want to forget the donors and purchasers of the books, you all did magnificently well. GA sent me a text message last night saying the count was 16,000AED and I was speechless. When she came back later and said the amount stands at 17,600AED DH & I were touched and gave thanks.

Part of the money will go into the Helpinghandsuae repatriation programme, and we have some sick men just waiting for an airticket which will enable them to go home and be reunited with their families. Part of the money will go into our feeding programme. I will buy some phone cards as well, we have been unable to give cards to all of the men for quite a few weeks now.

Thanks to GA's efforts at the last booksale helped us stay in good shape to feed the homeless men in our feeding programme last August. During that month last year our regular and loyal food donors all went away on vacation, it was a surprise, but when hungry people rely on us to feed them, there was no question about it, so we funded the food for them ourselves. I had to learn a lot during the 1st year of operations. and I was able to plan ahead this year and make sure there was money for food during August when, once again, everyone seemed to disappear.

We had an incredibly busy time during Ramadan, we were out delivering Iftar meals to campsites and distributing tons of donations. Our Shoe Box Appeal aka Eid Gift Box Appeal was also very successful. Our friends at the Radisson SAS Hotel, Media City, and TeCom partnered us, and DHL helped us with the distributions of the Eid Boxes. You all did a great job guys, another huge Thank You from us to you. 7,500 boxes were ordered and I think the Radisson have received back approximately 6,000 boxes, so there are still some floating around. Can we have them back now please? Companies, offices and schools participated, they collected the empty shoe boxes and following a suggested content list, the majority of the boxes were returned to the hotel, uplifted by DHL, who accompanied us to the campsites. There are still boxes coming in, in dribs and drabs and we shall deliver them all! We have taken lots of pics and when the Webmaster can find time to upload them, they will be on our website in the near future.

I am just getting ready to go to Abu Dhabi, today we are doing our first distributions into labour camps there. It is really by public demand that we are extending our helping hands there. A wonderful generous lady I know has recently opened with her partner a lovely hotel, which she has said we can use as a base. More details about that when arrangements are firmed up.

Unfortunately, the motherboard on my laptop died peacefully 5 days ago, the workshop said 7-10 days before I can have it back. Sorry to everyone if you have emailed me. It sent me into a bit of a tail spin, there is so much information stored on it, including the contact details of the people in Abu Dhabi who are going to be working with us to make a difference in the lives of needy people there.

Because we have received an unprecedented quantity of donations throughout Ramadan and they are still coming in, in huge amounts, we are suspending our collections at MoE and FC until we have sorted, and distributed everything we have with us now. Our villa is groaning with stuff, we cannot move inside, the verandah is full and also boxes are stacked up high outside. Another desperate plea for a warehouse goes out.....

Finally, I am going away for November, I'm off to Bali for the month. Neighbours have a house there that they are not using in November, so it seemed like a good idea to take it. DH is coming with me for 2 weeks for a bit of R&R. We are looking forward to clean air, and seeing the stars in the sky. I am hoping to start writing a book I've had swimming around in my head for some time, before it fossilizes.

While away, we will be celebrating our Wedding Anniversary and the inception of HelpinghandsUAE 2 years ago.

Wishing everyone love, peace and happiness in big doses.

Elle xx
thanks for you sharing this note. for sure I will send my collection of DVDs to the next one. I also know a very good DVD lady - is she of any use?
my office collected shoes boxes and money for iftar meals over ramadan. elle sent us some photos and the recipients of packs and meals were simply over joyed. these men are lucky to have people like you and elle
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to Elle last night, 82 men up at Jebel Ali have been brought to her and Roger's attention. They are labourers who haven't been paid for three months and have no food. Roger and Elle are going to go and see them and obviously see what they can do to get things moving for these poor men. Some of the money raised from the sale will help. The key to this is awareness, the more people who are aware of helping hands the more donations that will come in. If everyone added a few extra bags of rice to their weekly shop it would make a huge difference! buy an extra phone card -it can make a massive difference to someone who has a limited income. Being able to speak to their family at home can cheer them up no end. It's the little things that count.