Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Blue Banana...how sad !

Blue Banana...how sad !

Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blue Banana...how sad !

Originally Posted by Jeeper
How does such a simple business venture end up in so much debt?

Surely they bought experiences off companies for AED 'x' and sold them in voucher form for AED 'x+20%' where 'x' was bought at some bulk discount.

If that's the case then they can only go under if they buy so much but don't sell......and i'd presume you'd buy as go?

rent and overheads
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
rent and overheads
rent what? it was internet based....could run it from home?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

But your in Dubai! You need to have a fancy office!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:31 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Unless he was in freezone,he'd need to rent premises to get P.O to get trade licence.Advertising,legals,packaging and staff probably buried that company.
I read summit about cost+20%.Need to be cost plus 66% or thereabouts to be viable.Do you run a Co in DXB Jeeper?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:53 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Unless he was in freezone,he'd need to rent premises to get P.O to get trade licence.Advertising,legals,packaging and staff probably buried that company.
I read summit about cost+20%.Need to be cost plus 66% or thereabouts to be viable.Do you run a Co in DXB Jeeper?
staff costs are quite often the biggest cost... do a P&L..... and if there is a cash flow situation.... though I have no idea about BBanana....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:56 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
staff costs are quite often the biggest cost... do a P&L..... and if there is a cash flow situation.... though I have no idea about BBanana....

Yeh I said 'staff'.....

Anyone working on DHCC?
That's one of the buggers, it seems, just about to bury me..........
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
The figures aren't the point I was making.
Cost+66% if you like then....my point was.....unless you're buying loads of these deals before selling any you should be ok. Obviously the markup has to cover overheads and profit.

Understand the concept of overheads etc.....just don't see how this co in particular needed to have such large overheads.

No don't run a business in dubai or anywhere for that matter. Never will. I will always be a slave to someone else. I'm extremely risk averse.

Last edited by Jeeper; Jun 24th 2009 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:17 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The figures aren't the point I was making.
Cost+66% if you like then....my point was.....unless you're buying loads of these deals before selling any you should be ok. Obviously the markup has to cover overheads and profit.

Understand the concept of everheads etc.....just don't see how this co in particular needed to have such large overheads.

No don't run a business in dubai or anywhere for that matter. Never will. I will always be a slave to someone else. I'm extremely risk averse.
Business in UAE is enigmatic.
I wager against you now, that probably, the biggest overheads that company had were1. staff costs: paying for work permits and packages,2.advertising 3.legals-including liability insurance&professional indemnity insurance coupled with the go slow quick charge lawyers putting all contracts in place.
Just my thoughts.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:24 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

agree with all of the above, however the gift days business model is well proven worldwide so I suspect either a)piss poor management or b)adverse local conditions, ie the local partner could well have screwed em in a number of ways.

either way sad to see for both the co. and people with outstanding gifts to claim.

oh and to be fair if it were me I'd be out of here faster than a fast thing on a fast day
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eva
Business in UAE is enigmatic.
I wager against you now, that probably, the biggest overheads that company had were1. staff costs: paying for work permits and packages,2.advertising 3.legals-including liability insurance&professional indemnity insurance coupled with the go slow quick charge lawyers putting all contracts in place.
Just my thoughts.
If they called it greenbanana.com it might have had more potential.

(I made that up myself!)
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shiva
agree with all of the above, however the gift days business model is well proven worldwide so I suspect either a)piss poor management or b)adverse local conditions, ie the local partner could well have screwed em in a number of ways.

either way sad to see for both the co. and people with outstanding gifts to claim.

oh and to be fair if it were me I'd be out of here faster than a fast thing on a fast day
That IS fast.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

It's a feasible business if markets are on the up...And it's one of the worst hit while markets are down...It's very simple...Luxury is bad during hard times...
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

well this has certainly had alot of press coverage, main news item on Dubai Eye, front page in the papers.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
well this has certainly had alot of press coverage, main news item on Dubai Eye, front page in the papers.
My biggest disappointment in this coverage is that nobody has used the headline: "The Banana Split"
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:10 am
W10

Originally Posted by Confucius
It's a feasible business if markets are on the up...And it's one of the worst hit while markets are down...It's very simple...Luxury is bad during hard times...
Especially when your mark up is so high for experiences that can be arranged for a much lower cost with one simple phone call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.