Reload this Page >

Blood Tests & Notice for Qatar RP

Blood Tests & Notice for Qatar RP

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Nomad club is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blood Tests & Notice for Qatar RP

Hello British Expats in Qatar,
I have a few questions and would be grateful for your input/help.

1) I am told for RP blood tests are required – reading some old threads my understanding is getting tests done from the UK will not help? As the thread are some years old, not sure what the latest policy is in this regard.
2) What do they test you for? Anyone with recent experience? And is TB test some skin test or blood test?
3) Employer will be working to get work visa and RP over the next few weeks – but is keen for me to hand in notice. My take on that is why should I hand in notice when (a) visa and RP are not there yet (b) even once point a is done, blood tests will have to be in Qatar and if for any reason tests are not clear – you are out of job in Qatar and here in the UK as you would have given the notice in.
So, I am wondering if whilst the employer is getting the visa and RP (or perhaps once they have both in place) – can I travel on a visit visa and request the employer to help me in getting the medical tests completed as I would imagine they will need my passport for some sticker of some kind. And then travel back to the UK and hand my notice in. If any of you can help and share perhaps their experience
4) No one can predict the future but sitting where you are, do you think given the current climate, a move to Qatar is sensible?
Many Thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blood Tests & Notice for Qatar RP

Originally Posted by Nomad club

1) I am told for RP blood tests are required – reading some old threads my understanding is getting tests done from the UK will not help? As the thread are some years old, not sure what the latest policy is in this regard.
2) What do they test you for? Anyone with recent experience? And is TB test some skin test or blood test?
3) Employer will be working to get work visa and RP over the next few weeks – but is keen for me to hand in notice. My take on that is why should I hand in notice when (a) visa and RP are not there yet (b) even once point a is done, blood tests will have to be in Qatar and if for any reason tests are not clear – you are out of job in Qatar and here in the UK as you would have given the notice in.
So, I am wondering if whilst the employer is getting the visa and RP (or perhaps once they have both in place) – can I travel on a visit visa and request the employer to help me in getting the medical tests completed as I would imagine they will need my passport for some sticker of some kind. And then travel back to the UK and hand my notice in. If any of you can help and share perhaps their experience
4) No one can predict the future but sitting where you are, do you think given the current climate, a move to Qatar is sensible?
Many Thanks
1. Correct, in Qatar
2. X-Ray
3. That's the risk we all took
4. No.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nomad club

Many Thanks
Your employer should bring you in on a business visa then apply for change of status then you can start your RP process in Qatar .

Qatar is a one horse town and a one trick pony to suite , it's burning cash to keep going and will suffer a massive turn down within the next few years so it really depends on what you do and who you work for .
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

In Qatar.

Can only echo what's already been said. The future is not rosy for Qatar and the only reason I'm sticking it out for another year is because the company will transfer me either to UAE or back home if/when the shit hits the fan (not at risk of redundancy).

Having said the above, it's not as if Qatar is going to be plunged into third world status so it is somewhat sector dependent. They have enough wealth to keep going for a while and there will always be an economy with service needs and health needs even if nothing is built. But the glory days, insofar as they ever were, are already over and not to return any time soon. And quite possibly never as the developed world is increasingly moving away from fossil fuels.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are worried about the blood test, think its mainly for STD's HIV, get one done where you are now for peace of mind before you quit your job. X-ray for TB likewise I guess if you're concerned. If you're not ill its really just more of a formaility. Like others note, RP is only started once you are in country and will be sponsored by your slave master, sorry sponsor. Factor about 3-4 weeks all in. If you can take leave for that period from your UK job and then essentially leave without working your notice period then you might have an option, most don't have that. Note that I don't think you can leave the country during the RP process, about 3-4 weeks. Once you get your Qatar ID then of course you will need your slave masters, sorry sponsor's permission to leave the country.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm done with the place. At least for now. Job is finished and gratuity is calculated, plus leave pay etc etc Going home to a month in the sun then fish for some options closer to home for a while.

Qatar is not so bad and I'd come back, it's just about the money, the harder you f..k me the more I expect to be paid. Qatar pays quite well.

I'd say the embargo is having minimal effect for now but I do sense some are tiring of it.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
If you are worried about the blood test, think its mainly for STD's HIV, get one done where you are now for peace of mind before you quit your job. X-ray for TB likewise I guess if you're concerned. If you're not ill its really just more of a formaility. Like others note, RP is only started once you are in country and will be sponsored by your slave master, sorry sponsor. Factor about 3-4 weeks all in. If you can take leave for that period from your UK job and then essentially leave without working your notice period then you might have an option, most don't have that. Note that I don't think you can leave the country during the RP process, about 3-4 weeks. Once you get your Qatar ID then of course you will need your slave masters, sorry sponsor's permission to leave the country.
I had to be out of the country at one point during the process so the company flew me to Dubai for the week. Didn't say no to that. But apparently you needed to come in on the appropriate visa, not the visit visa, before it can be fully converted into a proper RP. Or the RP had to be processed in advance of you coming into Qatar. Don't remember the reason given but apparently the rules change so often and so quickly that what was the rule a year ago may not be the rule now.

I have unlimited exits from Qatar. Nothing to prevent me from running away tomorrow if I wanted to So it is dependent on the company. Thankfully I work for a proper western firm.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I had to be out of the country at one point during the process so the company flew me to Dubai for the week. Didn't say no to that. But apparently you needed to come in on the appropriate visa, not the visit visa, before it can be fully converted into a proper RP. Or the RP had to be processed in advance of you coming into Qatar. Don't remember the reason given but apparently the rules change so often and so quickly that what was the rule a year ago may not be the rule now.

I have unlimited exits from Qatar. Nothing to prevent me from running away tomorrow if I wanted to So it is dependent on the company. Thankfully I work for a proper western firm.
Yes its all variable, or not, depending on the moon n stuff.
Will be good to get out of it for a while back home to the Big Mango, a whole different sort of madness.
I wouldn't mind coming back again in the future, on a decent wedge like now. 2 more years of that and it'll be all over for me.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:11 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Really good advice given above.

I wouldn't give up a UK job and risk moving to Qatar. Too much uncertainty, with a negative outlook. A busted flush.