Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Birth registration

Birth registration

Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:17 am
Just Joined

rsuterwalla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Birth registration

My wife is expecting to deliver anytime and i am just trying to get through all the administrative matters that come with the joys of living in Dubai. I understand that I have to take the birth registry given to me by the hospital in Dubai and exchange it for a birth certificate and then subsequently send the birth certificate along with my passport and birth certificate and my wife's passport and birth certificate to Dusseldorf.

Now the question (finally..) - my wife is algierian and her birth certificate is in arabic. Does anyone know whether the British embassy requires an offical translation i.e. it has to be attested by the Algerian embassy and foreign office and then translated or will just a translation from an offical translator in Dubai do?

The document given by the British Embassy merely states "Non British parent: Full birth certificate plus translation" and when I rang the person at the other end had difficulty understanding the question.

Any help appreciated.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

vastmassive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Birth registration

Originally Posted by rsuterwalla
My wife is expecting to deliver anytime and i am just trying to get through all the administrative matters that come with the joys of living in Dubai. I understand that I have to take the birth registry given to me by the hospital in Dubai and exchange it for a birth certificate and then subsequently send the birth certificate along with my passport and birth certificate and my wife's passport and birth certificate to Dusseldorf.

Now the question (finally..) - my wife is algierian and her birth certificate is in arabic. Does anyone know whether the British embassy requires an offical translation i.e. it has to be attested by the Algerian embassy and foreign office and then translated or will just a translation from an offical translator in Dubai do?

The document given by the British Embassy merely states "Non British parent: Full birth certificate plus translation" and when I rang the person at the other end had difficulty understanding the question.

Any help appreciated.
Good evening and firstly congratulations in advance on the birth of you child. I have recently gone through the same process myself and one of our clients was in exactly the same situation as you. You are correct in the process you mentioned above, however there are a few more steps involved.......

Birth registration from hospital will get you a birth certificate from UAE which you will need to go and get.
birth will have to be registered with the British Embassy
then you must apply for a passport for your little one in order to get a visa
there are numerous documents that you need
I have set up "Sort it" and company dedicated to solving expat issues such as yours. If you would like me to talk you through the process you can call me or email me directly, my details are in my profile.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vastmassive
Good evening and firstly congratulations in advance on the birth of you child. I have recently gone through the same process myself and one of our clients was in exactly the same situation as you. You are correct in the process you mentioned above, however there are a few more steps involved.......

Birth registration from hospital will get you a birth certificate from UAE which you will need to go and get.
birth will have to be registered with the British Embassy
then you must apply for a passport for your little one in order to get a visa
there are numerous documents that you need
I have set up "Sort it" and company dedicated to solving expat issues such as yours. If you would like me to talk you through the process you can call me or email me directly, my details are in my profile.
Many thanks for your reply. I managed to get the birth certificate and register my son at the British Embassy. I now have to wait a week for the certificate and then have been told that I only have to send the UK birth certificate along with the application form to Dusseldorf in order to get the passport.

I will deal with the visa once I receive the passport - one step at a time otherwise it all gets a bit too much!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:50 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on, spill the beans, newbie. What is the little boy's name and how much did he weigh?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lionheart
Come on, spill the beans, newbie. What is the little boy's name and how much did he weigh?
We named him raiyaan (which in arabic is one of the gate's of paradise) and he weighed 3.1kgs (6.8 lbs). Absolutely delighted although a sound consistent sleep is now a thing of the past!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsuterwalla
We named him raiyaan (which in arabic is one of the gate's of paradise) and he weighed 3.1kgs (6.8 lbs). Absolutely delighted although a sound consistent sleep is now a thing of the past!!
cool name