Big fire in JLT

Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:51 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big fire in JLT

Originally Posted by Kix
Or a cynical ploy by the owner of the building to put the blame on the bloke who threw the fag out? "It's not my fault your honour, I told the tenants not to throw ciggies from the balcony".

Case dismissed.

In other news Tamweel won't pay for more than 2 nights in a hotel, so a lot of people are properly homeless.

The National

Scary stuff, would you live in a high rise now?

In other news the cost of renting a villa went up by 75.37% in all of Dubai since the fire in JLT.
Nope. Hence why I moved to the Greens (ground floor to boot) in October.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Kix

I live on the 41st. More likely to die on SZR than at home.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Or a cynical ploy by the owner of the building to put the blame on the bloke who threw the fag out? "It's not my fault your honour, I told the tenants not to throw ciggies from the balcony".

Case dismissed.

In other news Tamweel won't pay for more than 2 nights in a hotel, so a lot of people are properly homeless.

The National

In other news the cost of renting a villa went up by 75.37% in all of Dubai since the fire in JLT.
I live on the 45th of my block - no idea about fire risk, sprinklers, etc. What I do know is that, when the alarm goes off (it is tested every month) there is no way you could miss it or even sleep through it - it is seriously loud, even through closed doors. I suppose nobody will ignore it now, if they ever did.

The reason for my question about whether balconies allow a fire to spread more quickly was that my block has none; the developer is reported to have said this was 'because kids fall off them'.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Dean
The reason for my question about whether balconies allow a fire to spread more quickly was that my block has none; the developer is reported to have said this was 'because kids fall off them'.
Not only kids - Don t forget the 'Flying Housemaids!'
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:27 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the 45th of my block - no idea about fire risk, sprinklers, etc. What I do know is that, when the alarm goes off (it is tested every month) there is no way you could miss it or even sleep through it - it is seriously loud, even through closed doors. I suppose nobody will ignore it now, if they ever did.

That's funny. That kid didn't seem to have an issue falling out of MAG 214 and that doesn't have balconies.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
That's funny. That kid didn't seem to have an issue falling out of MAG 214 and that doesn't have balconies.
Really? How did he manage that? [my windows don't open either]
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Don't take this the wrong way, but at this time of year doesn't that suck?

If I could I'd give you one of my balconies.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:33 pm
You read these things?

Do you not remember? The mum went downstairs to collect the daughter from the school bus, but left the window open and a chair near it. Kid goes to see where mum is, falls out.

Then in anguish of losing her only son, goes an runs up stairs and throws herself out of the window... in front of her daughter.

It would sound like the script of some shitty Lebanese drama if it wasn't for it really happening.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

Do you not remember? The mum went downstairs to collect the daughter from the school bus, but left the window open and a chair near it. Kid goes to see where mum is, falls out.

Then in anguish of losing her only son, goes an runs up stairs and throws herself out of the window... in front of her daughter.

It would sound like the script of some shitty Lebanese drama if it wasn't for it really happening.
Was that in MAG 214? I thought it was a Bur Dubai / Deira block?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:38 pm
You read these things?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Don't take this the wrong way, but at this time of year doesn't that suck?

If I could I'd give you one of my balconies.
Exactly. The balcony was one of the major selling points for me.

Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

Exactly. The balcony was one of the major selling points for me.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8094/photo18fy.jpg
Did it come with that horror show of a book or did you buy that?

Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Egyptian ex-colleague of mine had that happen in Sharjah. Son fell out of the window. ended up moving to Saudi after a long investigation period during which he wasn't allowed to travel.

maids falling from tall buildings has been a big issue over here in Singapore. Usually being forced to clean outside windows by local families who treat them like slaves (some get 1 day off a month if they are lucky)
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:05 pm
You read these things?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Did it come with that horror show of a book or did you buy that?

Haha. Nah, it's a book I'm reading for work.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

Haha. Nah, it's a book I'm reading for work.
I'd like to say I'm doing the same but I don't think Andy McNabb offers much into the world of recruitment.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:16 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.7daysindubai.com/Insuranc...ail/story.html

let's hope this is true, I was speaking to a friend last night who has a friend who is busy looking for villa accomodation on the Springs, her agent initially had a few to view but told her yesterday everything had gone, the JLT fire has caused an increase in villa rentals so I am guessing Kix is infact right about the increase in rental prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.