Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Best mobile network in UAE...Du or Etisalat?

Best mobile network in UAE...Du or Etisalat?

Old Jul 28th 2011, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Best mobile network in UAE...Du or Etisalat?

Hi
Will be coming over to UAE next week for work (Das Island) and will purchase a pre-paid sim on arrival at DXB. Looking at Etisalat's website, they offer 'Ahlan' prepaid service which has charges of 0.5 aed p/m to local mobiles and also 'Wasel' which costs 0.3 aed p/m. But then there's also Du which offers calls for 0.6 aed p/m. Out of the three which is the best? I won't be making many calls, most of my calls will be incoming from UK but not sure if it costs the same to call Du and Etisalat numbers from UK. Also can you recharge your sim online or does it have to be done via a scratchcard?

Cheers
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:21 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best mobile network in UAE...Du or Etisalat?

How long is a piece of shit?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

If yiu are looking for a cheap way to communicate with your family, then download skype on you (camera free) laptop before you get here. Msn live messenger is also good and is not blocked.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Sorry i meant which offers the better coverage in built up areas?

As for skype, my laptop has a webcam so won't be taking that to Das Island. Anyway why faff around with Skype when precaller (google it) gives you free phone to phone calls from UK to UAE?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:24 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
Sorry i meant which offers the better coverage in built up areas?

As for skype, my laptop has a webcam so won't be taking that to Das Island. Anyway why faff around with Skype when precaller (google it) gives you free phone to phone calls from UK to UAE?
Both are shit, but Etisalat is marginally less-shitter for coverage. We have people on Du and Etisalat at work, some of the Du phones can't get coverage in our office in Internet City.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 3:14 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway why faff around with Skype when precaller (google it) gives you free phone to phone calls from UK to UAE?
Just Googled it. It certainly involves a lot more faff than Skype for calling the UAE from the UK, and it doesn't provide a solution for calling the UK from the UAE (which there's a fairly good chance you'll want to do). Unless the idea is that you text or whatever from the UAE and tell the person in the UK to call you.

Last edited by Eeyore; Jul 29th 2011 at 3:16 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Just Googled it. It certainly involves a lot more faff than Skype for calling the UAE from the UK, and it doesn't provide a solution for calling the UK from the UAE (which there's a fairly good chance you'll want to do). Unless the idea is that you text or whatever from the UAE and tell the person in the UK to call you.
Actually using Precaller is a doddle. As long as your UK landline provider gives you inclusive anytime 0845 calls (which many do) then you can build credit to call anywhere in the world free of charge from any phone in the UK. You can link as many numbers as you want to your landline (eg mobiles) which means you can use your inclusive mobile mins to access the 020 number. Simple procedure:

1) Register your landline no. on precaller
2) Build credit from your landline using 0845 number
3) If necessary link other UK telephone numbers to your account
4) Call 020 3328 1355 from any of you registered numbers and then dial any number in the world starting 00
5) Never pay for an international call again! (even gives you free calls to Thuraya and Inmarsat satellite phones)

All i will do is give a missed call to my missus in the UK from my UAE mobile and she calls me back free of charge and she can talk to me as long as her big mouth will allow her to

Build credit by calling our credit line on 0845 611 8700 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday-Friday. You earn two units of credit for each minute that you stay on the line. When you call, we'll ask you how long you want the call to be; you can leave your phone off the hook, and we'll terminate the call for you after the specified time.
To make a call, call our access number on 020 3328 1355 from the same phone that you used to build credit. When prompted, dial the number you'd like to call just as you would from a standard phone - with 00 at the start if it's an international call - and we'll connect you.

Last edited by psychopomp1; Jul 29th 2011 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:30 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Actually using Precaller is a doddle
It's still a lot more faffy than simply dialling the number on Skype!

It almost sounds a bit too good to be true. If the 0845 phone call that builds your credit is 100% free to you, where does Precaller actually make its money?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eeyore
It's still a lot more faffy than simply dialling the number on Skype!

It almost sounds a bit too good to be true. If the 0845 phone call that builds your credit is 100% free to you, where does Precaller actually make its money?
Precaller might sound complicated but believe me its not; once you've registered, just save the 0845 number on your landline handset and also save your most frequently called int'l numbers on your handset eg 02033281355[pause]0097150xxxxxxx

Sure, precaller isn't a charity and they make their money through your telecoms company who offer them x pence p/m so everyone's a winner all round, except your landline provider that is But a word of warning: some providers (eg BT) have a monthly limit of 1000 mins to 0845 calls, go over this and they'll charge you
Old Jul 30th 2011, 4:26 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Precaller might sound complicated but believe me its not; once you've registered, just save the 0845 number on your landline handset and also save your most frequently called int'l numbers on your handset eg 02033281355[pause]0097150xxxxxxx

Sure, precaller isn't a charity and they make their money through your telecoms company who offer them x pence p/m so everyone's a winner all round, except your landline provider that is But a word of warning: some providers (eg BT) have a monthly limit of 1000 mins to 0845 calls, go over this and they'll charge you
just out of interest what exactly is your affiliation with precaller? if there is none, you should contact them as you would be shithot as a pre-sales agent or something..
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

No mate, I don't have any affiliation with Precaller. Just trying to help out my fellow expats. There's another similar company called "qxcall" (again google it) but they're a bit more stingy with the credit they give you so I tend to stick with Precaller. Sorry for taking the thread off-topic slightly!