Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Best Gulf state for families?

Best Gulf state for families?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Gulf state for families?

Originally Posted by justin riseborough
Do you have a time machine, or are you very good at planning ahead
oops. meant December!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

paulmm is an unknown quantity at this point

well looks like we will be coming over in January to live
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:15 am
Just Joined

bigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nicebigmamma is just really nice

Just read your post and I only have one piece of piece of advice - don't go to Doha.
It is the most boring place - I know you said you wanted the quiet life but there is quiet and there is quiet. Schools have waiting lists as long as your arm and unless housing is included in your package you better have a whopping salary as housing prices are through the roof there and still rising. My kids were bored rigid as there was nothing to do.
Food prices are rising by the week and everything seems to be so much more expensive than anywhere else, oh and the driving is horrendous, really scary stuff.

We left a few months ago and couldn't wait to get to the airport.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:34 am
Just Joined

SewellJR is an unknown quantity at this point

I would defiantly recommend Bahrain without a doubt for the following reasons:

•St Christopher’s School – reviewed by the Guardian as the 8th best British Curriculum international school

•Working Hours – You can usually be home between 3 and 4 in the afternoon nice hour round the pool in that case

•Tax Free earnings – It is true that Saudi Pay around 10% more but that is because it is considered to be a hardship place. However by living in Bahrain you can have the best of both worlds by commuting to work in Khobar (KSA) via the causeway

•Leisure – Bahrain has pubs, clubs, restaurants and sporting & leisure facilities. I do realise that this is what you wanted to avoid but I should point out that these facilities are easy areas to keep away from (not sure why?) as they are in designated areas.

•Pork and wine– If you like your English fry ups; this is something that you will not get in KSA, as pork is not allowed, Where as in Bahrain you buy it at your local supermarket (spinneys). You can also enjoy a glass of wine with your meal bought legally from the off-licence.

There is a saying in Bahrain “once you have lived in Bahrain you will long to return 1 day” i now know this to be true, as I left 6 years ago and have now myself started to consider returning.

Hope the information helps
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:42 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Kuwait is a good place to live because:

Driving is ok.
You get time for others
Pay has the hardship element
Accn is cheap
Petrol at 9p per litre.
Shops
Small
Beaches
Easy to pick up another job.

No booze though but if you want it is easy to get away to DXB / Bahrain, Baghdad.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:53 am
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dago
Kuwait is a good place to live because:

Driving is ok.
You get time for others
Pay has the hardship element
Accn is cheap
Petrol at 9p per litre.
Shops
Small
Beaches
Easy to pick up another job.

No booze though but if you want it is easy to get away to DXB / Bahrain, Baghdad.
The schools here, esp the english schools are supposed to be some of the best too.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:48 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about the schools and the jury may still be out. They are certainly acceptable but the curriculum alone will not provide education. You need to shell out a lot for sports, music, smoking and stuff like that.

By the way they are British Schools - not English and they have an unrepresentatively high proportion of Scottish teachers.

You are spoilt for choice because the American schools are not bad and if you can get them in to it the French school is shit hot. (Merde Chaud?)
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the schools and the jury may still be out. They are certainly acceptable but the curriculum alone will not provide education. You need to shell out a lot for sports, music, smoking and stuff like that.

By the way they are British Schools - not English and they have an unrepresentatively high proportion of Scottish teachers.

You are spoilt for choice because the American schools are not bad and if you can get them in to it the French school is shit hot. (Merde Chaud?)
isnt that incorrect? Don't they teach the English A'level system and not the Scottish Highers? Therefore are they not English schools?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmamma
Just read your post and I only have one piece of piece of advice - don't go to Doha.
It is the most boring place - I know you said you wanted the quiet life but there is quiet and there is quiet. Schools have waiting lists as long as your arm and unless housing is included in your package you better have a whopping salary as housing prices are through the roof there and still rising. My kids were bored rigid as there was nothing to do.
Food prices are rising by the week and everything seems to be so much more expensive than anywhere else, oh and the driving is horrendous, really scary stuff.

We left a few months ago and couldn't wait to get to the airport.
Agree 100%! Am still stuck here at the moment, but hoping and praying to get out soon.
DO NOT COME HERE !
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
isnt that incorrect? Don't they teach the English A'level system and not the Scottish Highers? Therefore are they not English schools?
No - they only teach Scottish syllabus - in gaelic. They teach the English syllabus in Pakistan too or so I hear - or at least make up!

Its not the F point though is it. They certainly teach a mixed bunch of pupils but I'm sure that is the same as everywhere in the ME. Now you want them to hand out English passports as well as extacy tabs...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No - they only teach Scottish syllabus - in gaelic. They teach the English syllabus in Pakistan too or so I hear - or at least make up!

Its not the F point though is it. They certainly teach a mixed bunch of pupils but I'm sure that is the same as everywhere in the ME. Now you want them to hand out English passports as well as extacy tabs...
suppose it would keep them awake in class
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:42 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
No Ins, British School following British Curriculum....(England&Wales).
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

B.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shark_can
Thank you for your helpful comments. You mentioned the Abaya requirement (everything else is fine with us), but is it required even inside the expat compounds? Also, my understanding is that a non-muslim woman doesn't need a head-covering in public, is that correct?

Also, could you please develop further on why you believe that Bahrain is a "family-friendly place"?

From what I hear, the place is awash with drunken revellers, hookers, drugs, rowdy Saudis drivers and nightclubs blaring loud music all night (i.e. exactly the kind of environment that we're trying to avoid). Exactly why did this country acquire a reputation for being family friendly? I ask this only in the nature of seeking information. It's very difficult to get an overall picture of a country simply by reading a few anecdotes from one or two people and I'd love to get my assumptions properly scrutinized and challenged by the folks here.
Hi,

Bahrain is not at all as you stated,however, there are certain areas that are rather unpleasant. Dubai has been worse in the past.
Bahrain is a great place matey.

To be honest, most people do not have the luxury of choosing where they take a working position. If you do have then great. Overall, I think Bahrain is a great place for kids. I do not like Doha, Jeddah and Riyadh are fine although movement is a little more restrictd than before and the compounds are covered with barbed wire fences, machine gun posts army etc etc. Outside women should wear the ninja kit although the best policy is to have a headscarf around the neck for swift covering when an official muttawah comes around and says to the husband ' tell your wife to cover head, please'

Otherwise, Saudi is not such a bad place and as someone mentioned you cab save loads of money - you have to make your own entertainment, you see!
Oh, and don't forget, women cannot drive. ( I was going to say not such a bad thing but thought better of it ! haha )

Kuwait is better, women can drive, and wear shorts, They allow Xmas to be celebrated ( unlike Saudi ) no alchohol ( just like Saudi but you make your own and drink Sid ) but here you drink Ethanol ( E and T anyone ? seriously ! )

Qatar is a strange place - not sure where it actually lies - a bit between Saudi and Bahrain i think.

AD is a great place - love it ( Dubai also, of course ! )

Oman is getting there but not as many opportunities - great place though.

Sorry, a long post but why not visit and find out for yourself if possible ?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:14 am
Banned

[QUOTE=B.Geezer;5606989]Hi,

Kuwait is better, women can drive, and wear shorts,

Be careful, women don't wear shorts but can and do wear bikinis on the beach and they are allowed to drive.

Neither men nor woman actually can drive though in the technical sense.

Good analysis though.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:19 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dago;5609386]
Originally Posted by B.Geezer
Hi,

Kuwait is better, women can drive, and wear shorts,

Be careful, women don't wear shorts but can and do wear bikinis on the beach and they are allowed to drive.

Neither men nor woman actually can drive though in the technical sense.

Good analysis though.
women in shorts...not really a thing you want to see now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.