Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Best airline for Flexible return dates Uk to Dubai

Best airline for Flexible return dates Uk to Dubai

Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Ukmed1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best airline for Flexible return dates Uk to Dubai

Hey guys I was hoping someone could advise me on the best deals and best airline for my wife's visit.

Heres the situation I'm only on 3 month contracts and the job could easily not continue once each contract is up, I want to get my wife out here to stay with me and I will do the visa runs with her when needed, do any airlines do a flexible return date or are there any that charge a small fee to change the Return date? Also whats the longest trip with a return date I can book for her ?

Thanks everyone
Old Jun 4th 2011, 11:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best airline for Flexible return dates Uk to Dubai

Hardly the best time of year for anyone to visit from the UK, leaving behind the long warm summer days and instead finding oven-like temperatures with oppressive humidity.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the type of ticket, most carriers give you the first change FOC. It's just usually the absolute rock-bottom priced flights that are either non-changeable or carry a high penalty.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:10 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Depending on the type of ticket, most carriers give you the first change FOC. It's just usually the absolute rock-bottom priced flights that are either non-changeable or carry a high penalty.
Which specific carriers flying UK to Dubai do this? Because going by personal experience, BA and EK don't...
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Which specific carriers flying UK to Dubai do this? Because going by personal experience, BA and EK don't...
It's a case of reading the small print for the class of ticket.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:40 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
It's a case of reading the small print for the class of ticket.
I can access the small print for all classes of ticket these airlines sell and I've never seen such a clause... would be really happy to know where it is, because it'd save me a lot of money. But I've never seen it.

In my experience, either changes are charged for, or they are free, in the vast majority of cases.

E.g. here is BA's "L" fare, not the cheapest by any means:

CHANGES

ANY TIME
CHARGE GBP 100.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
THE CHANGE FEE APPLIES PER TRANSACTION-PER PERSON
FOR ADULT AND CHILD
INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY
CHILD DISCOUNTS DO NOT APPLY
------------------------------------------------
WHEN MORE THAN ONE FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED
THE HIGHEST PENALTY OF ANY OF THE CHANGED FARE
COMPONENTS WILL APPLY
A CHANGE IS A DATE/ OR FLIGHT/ OR ROUTING/ OR
RESERVATION CHANGE
PASSENGERS WHO NO-SHOW FOR A FLIGHT WILL BE
CONSIDERED AS A CANCELLATION AFTER DEPARTURE AND
WILL RECEIVE NO REFUND OF THE FARE.
CHANGES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED
-------------------------------------------------
WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE
DIFFERENCE WILL BE COLLECTED - AND - ANY CHANGE
FEE APPLIED
WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE THE
CHANGE FEE APPLIES AND THERE IS NO REFUND OF
RESIDUAL
REISSUE/REVALIDATION MUST BE MADE AT THE SAME TIME
AS THE RESERVATION IS CHANGED
//CHANGES BEFORE OUTBOUND DEPARTURE//
1.WHEN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE
ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED
THE ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL RULE PROVISIONS OF THE
NEWLY TICKETED FARE I.E. ADVANCE RESERVATIONS/
TICKETING DEADLINE/MINIMUM/MAXIMUM STAY/BOOKING
CLASSES/SEASONALITY ETC....
-----------------------------------------------
2.WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE
COMPONENT BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED
THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING
HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS
TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT
ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED-WHICHEVER IS
LOWER.
THE NEW ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL THE PROVISIONS
OF THE NEWLY TICKETED FARES
//CHANGES AFTER DEPARTURE//
THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
THE NEW ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL THE RULE
PROVISIONS OF THE NEWLY TICKETED FARES SUCH THAT
THE RECALCULATED FARE COULD HAVE BEEN USED FOR THE
NEW ITINERARY IF PURCHASED ON THE ORIGINAL TICKET
ISSUE DATE.

Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:41 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukmed1
Hey guys I was hoping someone could advise me on the best deals and best airline for my wife's visit.

Heres the situation I'm only on 3 month contracts and the job could easily not continue once each contract is up, I want to get my wife out here to stay with me and I will do the visa runs with her when needed, do any airlines do a flexible return date or are there any that charge a small fee to change the Return date? Also whats the longest trip with a return date I can book for her ?

Thanks everyone
We book Emirates in UK via internet. We usually travel to Dubai around end August with a return date to UK at end July. However, we both have work permits. I am guessing if a tourist arrived at the airport with similar ticket they may not be allowed to travel with a return ticket dated beyond the tourist visa period (30 days I believe).

Emirates charge around £75 to change dates on a ticket.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

dont know about UK to AE, however we're flying back to UK next month and changed our return date by 3 days last week, BA charged us 2000dhs each. Basterds.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth going through a travel agent. I sometimes buy online directly from the airline, but invariably for fixed dates. But travel agents (both here and in UK) can usually get a similar price but with changeable dates--if I recall correctly, it would cost about 50 quid to change dates.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:01 pm
OWM
Just Joined

OWM is an unknown quantity at this point

Mite as well check Qatar Airways as well

Even Virgin Atlantic has a few flights during the week
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
I can access the small print for all classes of ticket these airlines sell and I've never seen such a clause... would be really happy to know where it is, because it'd save me a lot of money. But I've never seen it.

In my experience, either changes are charged for, or they are free, in the vast majority of cases.

E.g. here is BA's "L" fare, not the cheapest by any means:

CHANGES

ANY TIME
CHARGE GBP 100.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
THE CHANGE FEE APPLIES PER TRANSACTION-PER PERSON
FOR ADULT AND CHILD
INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY
CHILD DISCOUNTS DO NOT APPLY
WHEN MORE THAN ONE FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED
THE HIGHEST PENALTY OF ANY OF THE CHANGED FARE
COMPONENTS WILL APPLY
A CHANGE IS A DATE/ OR FLIGHT/ OR ROUTING/ OR
RESERVATION CHANGE
PASSENGERS WHO NO-SHOW FOR A FLIGHT WILL BE
CONSIDERED AS A CANCELLATION AFTER DEPARTURE AND
WILL RECEIVE NO REFUND OF THE FARE.
CHANGES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED
WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE
DIFFERENCE WILL BE COLLECTED - AND - ANY CHANGE
FEE APPLIED
WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE THE
CHANGE FEE APPLIES AND THERE IS NO REFUND OF
RESIDUAL
REISSUE/REVALIDATION MUST BE MADE AT THE SAME TIME
AS THE RESERVATION IS CHANGED
//CHANGES BEFORE OUTBOUND DEPARTURE//
1.WHEN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE
ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN
EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED
THE ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL RULE PROVISIONS OF THE
NEWLY TICKETED FARE I.E. ADVANCE RESERVATIONS/
TICKETING DEADLINE/MINIMUM/MAXIMUM STAY/BOOKING
CLASSES/SEASONALITY ETC....
2.WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE
COMPONENT BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED
THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING
HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS
TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT
ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED-WHICHEVER IS
LOWER.
THE NEW ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL THE PROVISIONS
OF THE NEWLY TICKETED FARES
//CHANGES AFTER DEPARTURE//
THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
THE NEW ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL THE RULE
PROVISIONS OF THE NEWLY TICKETED FARES SUCH THAT
THE RECALCULATED FARE COULD HAVE BEEN USED FOR THE
NEW ITINERARY IF PURCHASED ON THE ORIGINAL TICKET
ISSUE DATE.

Emirates lets you change once without any fee.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 1:24 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by mission
Emirates lets you change once without any fee.
I can't find any fare rule that says they will, in which case it sounds like it might be up to the individual agent?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar allows you to change once free, then 10KD after on economy tickets
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

wasnt it 300 aed or so to change with ba?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:45 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Qatar allows you to change once free, then 10KD after on economy tickets
Again that's not in their fare rules, maybe they waive the fee but I wouldn't want to rely on it unless it's written somewhere?

Originally Posted by busybee2
wasnt it 300 aed or so to change with ba?
Depends on the ticket, it can be a lot more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.