Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Being a nanny in Saudi!!!

Being a nanny in Saudi!!!

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:41 am
Just Joined

brilliantbernie will become famous soon enoughbrilliantbernie will become famous soon enough
Default Being a nanny in Saudi!!!

I am British and i am coming to Saudi to work as a nanny i would just like some advice about what goes on and what i can actually do. I have a driver at my beck and call and we are based in the compound in villa i am not sure if this a Saudi Compound or British Compound as the mum is from Saudi
It all seems quite scary but i am looking forward to coming over i will be working for 6 days a week and i have one day off! i am 25 years old and have been warned by the mum that there is not alot to do.

Please any info would be great!!
Thanks
Bernie
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being a nanny in Saudi!!!

Originally Posted by brilliantbernie
I am British and i am coming to Saudi to work as a nanny i would just like some advice about what goes on and what i can actually do. I have a driver at my beck and call and we are based in the compound in villa i am not sure if this a Saudi Compound or British Compound as the mum is from Saudi
It all seems quite scary but i am looking forward to coming over i will be working for 6 days a week and i have one day off! i am 25 years old and have been warned by the mum that there is not alot to do.

Please any info would be great!!
Thanks
Bernie
You're starting off with the right attitude - you know it's going to be very different but you still want to go for it. You'll be fine.

You already have the driver sorted out, so that's one issue taken care of. Wearing the abaya when you go out is something of a culture shock for newly-arrived women but just treat it like an overcoat you'd wear back home on a cold day and it ceases to be an issue.

Not sure quite what you mean by "Saudi compound" - most Saudis don't live on one, so some more detail there might be helpful before we give you further advice.

And of course at the top of the Middle East page you'll find someone's "Ultimate Guide to Saudi" which might be worth reading..........
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:59 am
Just Joined

brilliantbernie will become famous soon enoughbrilliantbernie will become famous soon enough

Thankyou so much for replying and giving me that info i will definatley look at that page!
I will find out more about where i am staying and then hopefully some more information will be given!

Thanks
Bernie
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:31 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to be a scaremonger, but is your employer Saudi? Will he be taking your passport while you are working for him?

I say this because there are lots of horror stories about nannies (usually from poorer countries like malaysia, phillipines, pakistan etc) being abused and virtually imprisoned by their employers after having their passports taken away.

You say you dont know much about your employer. Saudi can be a very risky place to live and work particularly if not on a compound or accesible to other expats from your own country.

As soon as you get there you must register with the British Embassy so they can help you if there are any probems.

I would look into this very carefully before you get on the plane.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:35 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I don't want to be a scaremonger, but is your employer Saudi? Will he be taking your passport while you are working for him?

I say this because there are lots of horror stories about nannies (usually from poorer countries like malaysia, phillipines, pakistan etc) being abused and virtually imprisoned by their employers after having their passports taken away.

You say you dont know much about your employer. Saudi can be a very risky place to live and work particularly if not on a compound or accesible to other expats from your own country.

As soon as you get there you must register with the British Embassy so they can help you if there are any probems.

I agree with Victor. If the husband/father is Saudi, I simply wouldnt go.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Have a search through the threads - about a week ago someone was asking questions about being a private tutor in Saudi.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why in the world would you want to be a nanny in Saudi Arabia?

Are you English, or rather, white English?

I can possibly understand someone wanting to be a nanny in Dubai, but Saudi?

Come on, it's ridiculous.

It's possible the family is decent, but if they are like a typical Saudi family, they will work you around the clock and treat you like shit. Saudis are infamous for being horrible to their domestic staff. HORRIBLE. Just as bad as Jordanians.

If you are young, you will have a very limited social life as well. There are no movie theatres in Saudi, and that tells you almost everything you need to know about the country.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Why in the world would you want to be a nanny in Saudi Arabia?

Are you English, or rather, white English?

I can possibly understand someone wanting to be a nanny in Dubai, but Saudi?

Come on, it's ridiculous.

It's possible the family is decent, but if they are like a typical Saudi family, they will work you around the clock and treat you like shit. Saudis are infamous for being horrible to their domestic staff. HORRIBLE. Just as bad as Jordanians.

If you are young, you will have a very limited social life as well. There are no movie theatres in Saudi, and that tells you almost everything you need to know about the country.
Perhaps she's one of those people who doesn't just go for the easy option every time she has a choice to make.............. she may feel she wants to work somewhere where being English is valued, which it is in Saudi, and where she will experience something of the other side of life.

In Dubai she'll be treated no better than a Filipina nanny - she'll have more freedom, more social life, etc - but what's so good about working for Emiratis anyway?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:13 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I can see that you want to make the OP feel positive about her venture, but I think it is irresponsible to 'gloss over' the real possible threats of working there.

I would recommend you forego this venture and look elsewhere.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can see that you want to make the OP feel positive about her venture, but I think it is irresponsible to 'gloss over' the real possible threats of working there.

I agree with the point you made earlier about the employer keeping her passport - there is no reason why anyone needs to do that any more (if there ever was). That's something she can ask about directly.

Bernie, if you post a few more times, you become Private Message eligible. PM me when you can.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:51 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by The Dean
Perhaps she's one of those people who doesn't just go for the easy option every time she has a choice to make.............. she may feel she wants to work somewhere where being English is valued, which it is in Saudi, and where she will experience something of the other side of life.

In Dubai she'll be treated no better than a Filipina nanny - she'll have more freedom, more social life, etc - but what's so good about working for Emiratis anyway?
I'm interested where you get the opinion that being English is valued in Saudi. I worked there for 3 years, and apart from the odd pleasant conversation with a Saudi, usually on the plane, I found myself being looked at and treated with disdain.

I think there are`2 extremes, 1 where English is respected but 2, which is more prevalant where we are the 'Infidel'
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, there is no way I would go on my own even now never mind when I was 25. I am surprised she has been able to secure a visa, single white female etc
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 10:12 am
Just Joined

To start my employer is the mum the dad is not around at all i will only be doing nursery duties as the mum has a house keeper, a cook and a cleaner,
The mum is Saudi and we will be staying in Jehhda sorry if i have spelt it wrong.
I know that i need to make it clear to the mum that i would like to hold my passport i will take your advice and register with the embassy i have looked it up on the inetrnet and i can register online but i wil go there aswell. yes i have been told that there is nothing to do so i will be bringing loads of books,dvds and my laptop.

Thanks Bernie also you have scared me alot.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
The dad does not live with the family it will be me , the mum and staff.
Thanks Bernie
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 10:22 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

The father does not live with the family? How come and where does he live?

What happened to the previous Nanny? ask the Mum if she can provide you with her contact details.

If you tactfully express your concerns (that you are young, its your first o/seas experience, that your family are worried for you and need reassurance), if things are above board she she should be OK giving you the details.

I think the whole thing sounds more and more fishy. Sorry if comments made by myself and others scare you, but they are based on experience.

IF you do end up with some of the problems I have mentioned it can be very very hard to get out of them and more importantly out of the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.