Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Beer in the hand, toes in the sand

Beer in the hand, toes in the sand

Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:17 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beer in the hand, toes in the sand

I know part of working overseas is to have a good time, however what is considered a reasonable day/weeks work for a good days/weeks pay?
I am currently working with/responsible for a small group of people (4) one of whom is aussie.

They work reasonably well, but there have been occasions when I feel they do not have the same kind of work ethic as others I have worked with overseas (Cairo and Riyadh).

Today I suggested working to the extent they would be doing a 40 hour week. They looked at me as if I was asking them for blood. What do you think. I think it's pretty reasonable.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer in the hand, toes in the sand

Sounds like they are having an easy time already. 48 hours is the usual working week in UAE.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I know part of working overseas is to have a good time, however what is considered a reasonable day/weeks work for a good days/weeks pay?
I am currently working with/responsible for a small group of people (4) one of whom is aussie.

They work reasonably well, but there have been occasions when I feel they do not have the same kind of work ethic as others I have worked with overseas (Cairo and Riyadh).

Today I suggested working to the extent they would be doing a 40 hour week. They looked at me as if I was asking them for blood. What do you think. I think it's pretty reasonable.
I'm not against putting the hours in when it's needed....but in my industry (engineering) it feels like you're the slackest f'er around if you walk out the door at 5:30 as per contract.
Overtime in eng. is like a badge of honour to some people....here and elsewhere.

However, a 40 hour week.....you hardly get much done.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:35 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
I'm not against putting the hours in when it's needed....but in my industry (engineering) it feels like you're the slackest f'er around if you walk out the door at 5:30 as per contract.
Overtime in eng. is like a badge of honour to some people....here and elsewhere.

However, a 40 hour week.....you hardly get much done.
I do a 45 hour week minimum as standard, but usually more plus weekends / travel etc. 40 hour is only 8 hrs per day... not that extreme surely and if needs must then you should do the work regardless of working hours etc...
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Paddy09 is on a distinguished road

can i work for you?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:55 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks f the responses. It reinforces what I was thinking. Hours they r being asked t do are@
Sun 7.30 to 2.30, Mon 7.30 to 3.45, tuesday 7.30 to 3.45, wednesday 7.30 to 3.45 and thursday 7.30 to 1.15.

In addition there are odd other hours adding up to about another 5 or 6 hours per week

Not bad huh?
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:57 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Thanks f the responses. It reinforces what I was thinking. Hours they r being asked t do are@
Sun 7.30 to 2.30, Mon 7.30 to 3.45, tuesday 7.30 to 3.45, wednesday 7.30 to 3.45 and thursday 7.30 to 1.15.

In addition there are odd other hours adding up to about another 5 or 6 hours per week

Not bad huh?
Sorry that should have been 'In addition there are odd other hours adding up to about another 5 or 6 hours per MONTH'
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:42 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

From my view, if they get the work done, what's the issue? I'd rather have staff focussed and productive for 8 hours per day than tossing it off for 12!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:34 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Which is exactly my point (to them and you) - that they need to put in 40 hours plus to at least get the job done to a satisfactory standard.

If they want to have pride in their job, and do it to an even better standard, they need to put in even more.

Prior to my arrival they had had it relatively easy, and were not doing their job properly. They are resisisting any change in their status quo.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:37 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

..... and of course, 40 hours per week, divided by 5 days averages out at 8 hours per day which is what you suggest.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:36 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

can i ask what it is you do?

40Hrs a week? give me that anyday...i dont think i have EVER worked that little..
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

We have this problem here... Our official hours are 8-4 with no lunch (40 hour week). Some of the team do less than this (they take lunch, disappear several time during the day) and their output is minimal.

I do around 8-5 / 8-5:30 (45-48hour weeks).

However, a couple do 60 hour weeks and make a lot of noise about the slackers, although their actual output is broadly the same. I am always making the point of output vs input...
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:43 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Compared to the pace of work in Cairo and Riyadh, these guys should be happy to work longer hours in Dubai, where the philosophy of life is more along the lines of " you work hard and play hard".