Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Banning - a definitive guide?

Banning - a definitive guide?

Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:44 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banning - a definitive guide?

Hello.

Does anyone have a link or some means to give us new expats a clear picture of the banning process in Dubai / UAE?

I can only find out snippits of info, expat urban myths, vague cover all info etc. Explorer mentions it briefly though not fully, google searches come up with a multitude of mixed info etc.

It would be a great addition to the expat info thread for this forum.

Anyone know? Or care to take up the challange to find out the rules in some detail?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banning - a definitive guide?

I would imagine that that would be on the embassy websites for the countries in London etc, but if not and anyone has definate stuff, I'll add it to the FAQ's.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:11 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Hello.

Does anyone have a link or some means to give us new expats a clear picture of the banning process in Dubai / UAE?

I can only find out snippits of info, expat urban myths, vague cover all info etc. Explorer mentions it briefly though not fully, google searches come up with a multitude of mixed info etc.

Anyone know? Or care to take up the challange to find out the rules in some detail?

Thanks!
Definitive rules for visas and bans?! Heh heh, this is Dubai, the rules change depending which person you're speaking to. And which authority you're in. And whether they like you.

But all I know about bans, is that when you leave a company, they have the option to ban you from working anywhere else for 6 months. I think some companies do it as a matter of course and some will do it if you're thinking of working for a rival company. And then there's some who wouldn't ever bother to think of it. Best to check their policy I think.

We've got a guy applying for a residence visa at the mo and he gets a different story every time he goes to the admin office so he's getting lots of exercise going backwards and forwards between different departments!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Singlemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of light

Hello.

Thanks!
Hello!

It really depends on your sponsoring company, where you work and with whom. Some say it depends on your nationality...
I know that DIC (Internet city) does not place bans at all, well only if there is a court case against you..

Good luck
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:33 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kristy
Definitive rules for visas and bans?! Heh heh, this is Dubai, the rules change depending which person you're speaking to. And which authority you're in. And whether they like you.

But all I know about bans, is that when you leave a company, they have the option to ban you from working anywhere else for 6 months. I think some companies do it as a matter of course and some will do it if you're thinking of working for a rival company. And then there's some who wouldn't ever bother to think of it. Best to check their policy I think.

We've got a guy applying for a residence visa at the mo and he gets a different story every time he goes to the admin office so he's getting lots of exercise going backwards and forwards between different departments!
I know this appears to be like counting grains of sand on Jebel Ali beach.... I've heard that a company can choose to issue a complaint to "force" a ban, however it is up to the government to issue either an employment or an immigration ban.

Even if your employer issues an NOC letter the government may (I use the word may because no one sems to know if they will or not, is it case by case, issue a ban?)

I know free zones are exempt from work ban's but maybe not immigration bans.

I guess I just am trying to find out simple things like if an employee resigns from a job and the company is happy to issue a NOC will the government enforce a ban and if so in what circumstances. Factors like exempt catagories, if the employee has a degree / masters, has worked at the company for over 1 year etc....

I'm not in this situation and hope I'll not be, I guess it'd be useful to know if after 2 years in Dubai you can know for sure whether you'd be banned for moving job.....
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:28 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

I know this appears to be like counting grains of sand on Jebel Ali beach.... I've heard that a company can choose to issue a complaint to "force" a ban, however it is up to the government to issue either an employment or an immigration ban.

Even if your employer issues an NOC letter the government may (I use the word may because no one sems to know if they will or not, is it case by case, issue a ban?)

I know free zones are exempt from work ban's but maybe not immigration bans.

I guess I just am trying to find out simple things like if an employee resigns from a job and the company is happy to issue a NOC will the government enforce a ban and if so in what circumstances. Factors like exempt catagories, if the employee has a degree / masters, has worked at the company for over 1 year etc....

I'm not in this situation and hope I'll not be, I guess it'd be useful to know if after 2 years in Dubai you can know for sure whether you'd be banned for moving job.....
I think if the company issues an NOC, you're fine.

Not sure about the Free Zones being exempt though. I'm in a free zone, and our company still has to issue an NOC for people to transfer their visas.

I don't think you can know for sure really. Even if you get an answer now, it could all have changed in 2 years!!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:19 am
Powered by cows

here's a couple of bits found so far...

From the Ministry of Labour And Social Affairs website

http://www.mol.gov.ae/pages-en/rule-labourHTML5.htm

and from the FEDERAL LAW NO 8 OF THE YEAR 1980 - Law to Regulate Labour Relations

Article 128

Where a non-national worker leaves his work without a valid reason before the expiry of a contract for a limited period; he may not, even with the employer's consent, take up other employment for one year from the date on which he left his work. It shall not be lawful for any other employer who is aware of the fact to recruit such worker or keep him in his service before the expiry of such period.

Article 129

Where a non-national notifies the employer of his desire to terminate a contract of unlimited duration and leave his work before the expiry of the statutory period of notice, he shall not, even with the employer's consent, take up other employment for one year from the date on which he left his work. It shall not be lawful for any other employer who is aware of the fact to recruit or keep him in his service before the expiry of such period.

Article 130

The provisions of articles 128 and 129 shall not apply to a non-national worker who, before taking up other employment, obtains the authorization of the Minister of Labour and Social Affairs with the approval of the original employer.

This seems to state a ban in terms of a work permit is not automatic as long as you have an NOC and the Minister approves - the basis of such approval is unknown to me right now!

Sorry if this is boring everyone....
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:36 am